The Most Disappointing Albums Ever Thread

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:39 pm

Ad wrote:And now that I'm thinking of it, I've been let down by both post-Sea Change albums by Beck.

Guero is better than The Information, which is pretty much unlistenable. Beck should drop out of the spotlight until he's old, and then make a great comeback album like Johnny Cash.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:07 pm

I was also pretty disappointed with A Ghost Is Born, I must confess. The only song I still listen to on that one is 'The Late Greats'.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:19 pm

sadly, almost every wilco album i've heard has disappointed me except for their new one and possibly being there.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:56 pm

I bought Cut the Crap hoping beyond hope that for once the critics were wrong, and that it really was good after all. So much for that theory...

I was jonesing forever for the 2 Tone Collection: A Checkered Past, knowing how much I dug the Specials, Madness, and The (English) Beat. Yeah, when I finally got it, of the 2 CDs, only one is essential. They unfortunately released quite a bit of shit, too.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:53 am

LionIndex wrote:REM: Reveal.

I listened to Reveal the other day, thinking that it might sound better than I remembered. Nope. Still sucks.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:14 am

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:I was also pretty disappointed with A Ghost Is Born, I must confess. The only song I still listen to on that one is 'The Late Greats'.

I would have been disappointed, but I think I nodded off before I got to that point. I'm slowly coming around to Sky Blue Sky.

Tom4 wrote:I'd have to call every Bjork album disappointing, personally, because every time one comes out everybody tells me how amazing it is, and then I listen to it and it does nothing for me. Every single album. Maybe I'm missing something.

Agreed. I bought Homogenic after being blown away by the absolutely beautiful single-version of "All Is Full of Love." The album was an incoherent mess. Which I don't like most of the time.

Depeche Mode- Exciter: The day it came out, I drove all over the city looking for a copy of this before finally finding an overpriced copy at Barnes & Noble. It definitely was not worth all the effort, especially after it was heralded as their "return to form" record, and some of their strongest work since Violator. So yes, I was excited. And was I ever let down. At least Playing the Angel is a pretty decent album.

Morrissey Ringleader of the Tormenters, though maybe that's less a reflection on the album and more the impossibly high standards I hold for Moz. It's unfortunate but I'm willing to bet we'll never see another Viva Hate.

Now that I think about it, many of my more disappointing album experiences have come from aging 80's brit-mopers' more recent albums: The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen's Evergreen, New Order's Get Ready, etc. And my disappointment grows for both Bono and Sting every time I see them on TV achieving new levels of douchey-ness.

Mike Love

Postby Mike Love » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:06 pm

worpswede wrote:And the choice for Brian Wilson Smile "blows me" away. I had the exact opposite reaction.

Blow me.

Jake wrote:vastly superior 1966 Beach Boys recordings

Bullshit. Uhhhh...it's called KokofuckingMo, bitch! 1988 was the year. Real fans know this.

worpswede wrote:I see your point and I'm not quite the Beach Boys fan as you are.

Guy named Stamos. You might wanna check him out. Congas, Full House, hot ex-wife, etc.

Jake wrote:Of course, that would require legal cooperation from Mike Love et al, and that would never happen.

Goddamn right, sugartits!

Jake wrote:Smiley Smile is an awful album.

Now you're talkin' turkey!

The rest of you, just be glad I don't sue your asses off.

That's "Love," motherfuckers. Get some!!

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:52 pm

Well, we know Mick Jagger won't post on this thread.

he's always been chickenshit around Mike Love.

Mike Love

Postby Mike Love » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:09 pm

stickman45 wrote:Well, we know Mick Jagger won't post on this thread.

he's always been chickenshit around Mike Love.

You know it bubs. I'd like to see that asshole get up here and sing "I Get Around!"

You think the Glimmer Twerps can levitate? Hey, you, get ON my cloud! Meditate your ass off for 30 years, Jaggs, then come talk to me!

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:38 am

Mike Love wrote:blow me

Will you leave that hat on?

Return to “Rants and Raves”