The Most Disappointing Albums Ever Thread

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:13 am

BRMC - Howl
And it's supposed to be their most critically acclaimed effort. Whatever. Thankfully with Baby 81 they turned back into a rock band.

The Mooney Suzuki - Have Mercy
See above. Hopefully they will turn back into a Rock band after this one too... if they stay together. I didn't read any reviews, but I'm sure the critics are saying it's their greatest ever. Whenever electric rock acts put out an acoustic album the critics like to suddenly claim they have "matured" as songwriters.

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Stoned & Dethroned
With a title like that, how could it not have promise? Let me flog a dead horse here. Somebody please explain to me why, when a great electric rock act puts out a folksy acoustic album do the critics always fall all over themselves to claim it's their best album ever, Ever, EVER!!! ? Is it because every "establishment" music critic is a fat old 60s hippie that thinks nobody makes a good song unless they sound like Crosby, Stills & Nash?

NIN - The Downward Spiral
Pretty Hate Machine was a great debut, but Trent lost me early on and never won me back.

The Nomads - Powerstrip
Even a Gun Club cover didn't save it.

Elastica - The Menace
Well, they sure didn't "play it safe" on their sophomore effort. Hmm. Not having listened to it in... years, I just gave it a cursory spin while writing this, and it sounds not as bad as I remember— merely a few OK tracks, as opposed to god-awful.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
Over produced, and all the rough edges polished smooth. A glance across some of the reviews pops up the usual terms "they've grown up", "their new mature sound", etc. Blah.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:25 am

Chris G wrote:BRMC - Howl
And it's supposed to be their most critically acclaimed effort. Whatever. Thankfully with Baby 81 they turned back into a rock band.

NIN - The Downward Spiral
Pretty Hate Machine was a great debut, but Trent lost me early on and never won me back.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
Over produced, and all the rough edges polished smooth. A glance across some of the reviews pops up the usual terms "they've grown up", "their new mature sound", etc. Blah.

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:44 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:
Agreed, agreed, agreed.

thank you

So, not that it matters, but to satify my curiosity, I must inquire: Regarding The Mooney Suzuki, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Nomads, and Elastica— Is it that you disagree, or is it that these are bands/albums that you don't hold an opinion on? Just curious.

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:24 am

Low Drums and Guns
With the departure of their long-time basist and Alan Sparkhawk's mental woes, I should have just skipped this one. I've listened to it twice. I'll probably trade it in.

Catherine Wheel Happy Days
They always wanted to be a rock band. Too bad when you polish away the veneer of fuzz and wash of feedback, they suck.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:24 am

Chris G wrote:
thank you

So, not that it matters, but to satify my curiosity, I must inquire: Regarding The Mooney Suzuki, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Nomads, and Elastica— Is it that you disagree, or is it that these are bands/albums that you don't hold an opinion on? Just curious.

No opinions, except The Mooney Suzuki. I forgot about them - will they ever be a rock band again? And will we care if they are?

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:32 pm

Dreamin wrote:I listened to Reveal the other day, thinking that it might sound better than I remembered. Nope. Still sucks.

interesting. i like that album. a lot actually. certainly not the best they've done, but it's up there for me. of course the sheen and luster have worn off a bit over the years, but when reveal was it was about all i played. on a side a note, being on this r.e.m. kick got me to try around the sun again. i got the deluxe version with a bonus dvd of a surround mix. it's one of the 2 albums of theirs i don't have. after listening to the surround mix, i feel the album is still not a high point for them. i like some of the songs a lot (leaving new york is better than i remember), but i still feel it falls short somewhat and is still disappointing in some ways. more of letdown that it's r.e.m. i suppose.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:18 pm

Lou Reed-MistrialA piece of shit from the mid-80's that rivals Metal Machine Music in terms of unlistenability. Hear electronic drums! Listen to Lou rap! Watch Lou Reed sleepwalk his way through a "modern sounding" album and remarkably avoid another career suicide. Luckily, New York was the next album (it came several years later, which helped a lot of fans forget the shitstain that was Mistrial.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:03 am

worpswede wrote:Lou Reed-MistrialA piece of shit from the mid-80's that rivals Metal Machine Music in terms of unlistenability. Hear electronic drums! Listen to Lou rap! Watch Lou Reed sleepwalk his way through a "modern sounding" album and remarkably avoid another career suicide. Luckily, New York was the next album (it came several years later, which helped a lot of fans forget the shitstain that was Mistrial.

New York - the sound of it was pretty damn good, but it was the album when his brain turning to mush became boring rather than fascinating or even funny.

His swan song was "Waves of Fear" on the Blue Mask. (Although I will agree that the deaths-of-friends album discussed elsewhere here was pretty good, maybe I'll listen to it again.)

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:17 am

Chris G wrote:.

BRMC - Howl

I'll defend this one, I really dug the vibe the whole way through. I realize it's a departure for them, but really enjoy "Fault Line" and ""Ain't No Easy Way", even think they are classics.

Will fully agree with you on the Mooney Suzuki, altho I thought it was actually an improvement over the previous abomination. I will also second your dig on the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, I couldn't understand the hype, as it was so clearly inferior to their EP.

I pre-ordered the new Rilo Kiley, but bad reviews (Pitchfork) have hopefully not poisoned me to it. I've been looking to a worthy successor to that Jenny Lewis solo album.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:58 am

Any REM album after UP (which is also questionable, but I sort of enjoy it). Sadly, I keep buying their CD's even though they've been less than adequate out of both a sense of hope of recapturing the magic and a weird sense of duty since they've been around my life for so long.

Return to “Rants and Raves”