The Greatness of LCD Soundsystem's "All My Friends"

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:44 pm

Damned the thread, the off-topic is more interesting! I will parallel Tim's experience and say that I am turning 35 this year, only I'm already married with 1 kid and another on the way.

I did my share of hallucinogens in my 20s and enjoyed the hell out of them. Probably the last time I did them I was maybe 26 or 27, until last year. A friend of mine visited with shrooms and was all, "Surprise!", so I said, "What the hell, one more time, what's the worst that could happen?". I don't know if I wasn't mentally prepared or if it was my age, but it was (and I say this with as little hyperbole as I can muster) one of the single worst experiences of my life. I literally was afraid I was going to lose my mind, and spent the majority of the time locked in my bathroom with the lights off, totally naked. I can't emphasize enough how terrible an experience that was.

The upshot of course is that it completely killed any desire I might have been harboring to ever do hallucinogens again. Which is good, because I can channel that energy into drinking too much, which seems to be relatively safer.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: The Greatness of LCD Soundsystem's "All My Friends"

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:37 am

Five-year bump.

We're all five years older now. Everybody still holding up?

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:03 pm

Why? Did you score some acid? I'll buy some!

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:24 am

Holy Christ, a lot of you are approaching 50 now. I hope everyone's still having fun!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:05 pm

I'm still having fun! Thanks for checking in. I'll see if I can find anybody else to come back and say hi.

PS - I never mentioned it in the thread, but I eventually totally came around to the greatest of "All My Friends." It's pretty much perfect.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:12 pm

52! I haven't listened to LCD Soundsystem, but I did just get this in a work email.
Hello to all and sundry: I've been feeding my GloNo jones by just looking at the browser interface of the Twitter feed. 8-)

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:50 pm

Lep wrote:52! I haven't listened to LCD Soundsystem, but I did just get this in a work email.

Trippy: https://soundcloud.com/vice/james-murphy-match-185

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:19 pm

Wow! I was still able to log in to the boards! The place looks great, if a bit musty.
Doing well. The kids are awesome. Work is a drag. Going through a Steve Hillage phase at the moment. Went to Disneyworld last summer and hated every minute of it.
I recently received a rejection letter from the folks at the Grateful Dead mail order place. Apparently, there are still plenty of smelly old hippies out there to fill Soldier Field for a weekend-and I was not fortunate enough to be one of them.
The quest was also an attempt to see if I could score a tab or two for my 50th birthday (still a few years away) or see if LSD is extinct in the 21st Century.
The more things change...

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:53 pm

Is this thing on? I was able to log in too quickly and didn't hear a modem dialing up, so I'm nervous for all this change. Nice to see the old names and uh.. faces.. or whatever. I echo Worpswede: kids awesome, work drag, going through a Stephen Malkmus phase at the moment, and will be going to Disneyworld in two weeks. Hopefully I don't hate it. I have not changed my stance on The Drugs but I say godspeed to you and your quest Worps, you are made of sterner stuff than I. It's funny to think about Ms. Carol always saying she was an old lady, as I am now 41. For some reason time keeps marching on despite my attempts at bribery.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:44 pm

LCD Soundsystem? Never heard of 'em.

Return to “Rants and Raves”