The Greatness of LCD Soundsystem's "All My Friends"

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Re: The Greatness of LCD Soundsystem's "All My Friends"

Postby thinsafetypin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:02 pm

Well, well, well. Look who's gotten old and fat. Oh wait, I was already fat. I am old, however, and find my attitude towards music getting more crotchety by the day. But that Bleachers record makes me feel alive and somewhat hip, so there's that...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:22 pm

I wish this forum had a "like" button for posts. How else can I communicate that I appreciate everybody's comments!

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:18 pm

Oh my God, the bear has awoken from its slumber, the weeds have been thatched from the grass, say it ain't so! The GloNo Board looks like it's showing signs of life!

Well, since we last spoke, I've gotten older, but am still as charming and handsome as ever, Musically, I gotta tell ya, not a whole lot of new stuff is curling my toes. Local Chicago bands, sure! I'm a huge fan of Hushdrops, always will be a monster fan of The Safes, The Differents, Penthouse Sweets, and the Bon Mots. Right now, I am in a phase where I am buying lots of vinyl, filling in the holes in my back catalog, listening to new music when I can, really enjoying discovering the stuff I missed the first time around. Derek Phillips and his love of Neil Young has inspired me to get deeper into that dude's catalog, and all sorts of other wonderful goodies are waiting for me to discover them. Still happily married to the same beautiful lady, still have two great children, I work through the bumps of life like anybody, still hoping to eventually get off my ass, write some songs, and become a late-blooming singer/songwriter. Life rocks, and the days that it doesn't rock, it's still pretty damn cool.

So is this resurrection for real? Like, do I start checking it regularly again?

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:43 pm

Wow, looks like this thread has come back to life a few times over the years.
I'm 45, I divorced 4 years ago.
I left advertising for the world of tech startups.
I've shamefully neglected new music, but my girlfriend turns me onto new things from time to time.

I'm not fat, but I'm bald. When I began losing hair I shaved it all off. Now I'm one of those guys with a shaved head. I figured the only way to get away with it was to get buff. So now I'm bald and buff. Going dancing helps. Goth and Industrial nights are still a regular thing here in NYC, so …

That's what I've got.
Hope everyone is happy and healthy.

dam05
GLONO Board Playa

Postby dam05 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:45 pm

Still here.

And still waiting for that GloNo MixTape CD from 2003 to show up in the mail.

Damn post-office.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:38 pm

I think it's available on ebay.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:04 pm

quasarwutwut wrote:will be going to Disneyworld in two weeks. Hopefully I don't hate it.

How was it?

I wished I would have caught this before you left so that I could advise you of the following:

1.) The Hall of Presidents is best viewed while baked
2.) I kept screaming "Where's all the coke, Tyler?!" immediately before my car took off on Aerosmith: The Ride. Screaming at the Toxic Twins in this manner is the only way you'll be able to wrap your head around the idea that Aerosmith was able to parlay 3 admittedly great albums from the 70's into a roller coaster ride 4 decades later.
3.) They've brought back the Michael Jackson "Captain EO" movie in Epcot. See recommended prep work in item #1.
4.) "Soarin'" is also pretty good stoned. I did panic when I couldn't find my Ray Bans in the net bag under the seat (it was in my pocket).
5.) As a matter of fact, Epcot is best viewed entirely high. There's great coffee and pastries in the French district in case you get the munchies and the corn ice cream they have at La Hacienda de San Angel is to die for.

Everything else pretty much blows.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:51 am

I hate to turn this into a Disney World thread, but I went last year and I gotta say: I had so much fun! Way more fun than I expected. Three things contributed to this.

1) My kid was 7, which seems like the perfect age. He loved all of the rides. He was brave enough for the aforementioned Aerosmith Rock-n-Rollercoaster and the fairly intense Expedition Everest, but not too cool to enjoy the kiddie rides like Dumbo and Winnie the Pooh. He also had no interest whatsoever in any of the characters. So there was no waiting in line for 3 hours to "meet" Elsa and Anna. I'd be like, "Hey, there's Goofy," and he'd be all, "That's just a dude in a costume, dad," like I'm an idiot.

2) I did a shitload of prep work, because I'm an anal lunatic, and had detailed itineraries I created with help from http://touringplans.com/ and used their app to minimize wait times and maximize the MAGIC! Totally worked. We rode pretty much every ride and rarely waited longer than 10 minutes for anything. Our longest wait was 20 minutes for the Jungle Cruise, which was awesome and my kid got to drive the boat. "I didn't hit anything!"

3) We stayed offsite in a hotel with a fridge and microwave so we could eat yogurt in our room every morning and still get to the park by rope drop. We also found a decent brewpub where we ate lunches and got to escape the magic for a couple hours every afternoon.

I was pretty cynical about it beforehand, but we totally had a great time, and I would totally go again.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:54 am

Oh, and I was drunk the whole time we were at Epcot, which is fantastic. Walking around the different "countries" drinking beer while my kid played the "Where's Perry?" game... a total blast.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:36 pm

Disney hijack accepted!

Part of my issue was family related. We-including the kids (11 and 7)-would have enjoyed a much more laid-back schedule, but a certain member of our trip planned every fucking day to the gills with Disney shit. Even repeated attempts to take a day off and head to the beach were vetoed, which is a shame. Both kids enjoyed the trip (my 7 year old especially), but a day on the beach would have made the trip more memorable for them.

We stayed at one of those resort condos outside of Disney, complete with a kitchen, hottub and separate bedrooms. When my wife and I got rid of the kids one afternoon, we were interrupted during sexytime because one of our kids is a whiney little cockblocker. At the end of each evening, we were too exhausted to initiate any meaningful lovemaking. I'm sure the lack of coitus for the week contributed to my excessive pouting.

My wife became the MVP for fully utilizing her smart phone and setting up every fucking insane detail that was requested. Fastpass is a complete must, but there's no need for it for something like the Hall of Presidents. Nobody goes to that thing, except old stoners like me who want to escape the heat and see the festering open wounds of James Garfield.

Which leads me to another reason for my discontent: the state of Florida. I hate that state with such a passion that I had real issues with dropping my money into their coffers. I have an incredible righteous attitude about moronic states and FA is at the top. Arizona is a close second, which kills me because one of my best friends lives in that state and my folks have a stupid home there.

We're simple folk here in Iowa. I'm not kidding when I say one of the best family trips we've ever had was spending a week in Milwaukee with absolutely no agenda at all, other than to stop by The Safe House.

I would never go to Disney again, but would return to Milwaukee in a heartbeat, just as soon as they get rid of that shitass governor.

Return to “Rants and Raves”