Favorite eMusic Downloads

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Favorite eMusic Downloads

Postby cat153 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:54 pm

OK...I have to go back pretty far to get some sort of comprehensive list and i don't ahve time for that right now but i will start things off with a few albums from eMusic that I've enjoyed recently...

the new Crowded House

Caribou's new one

Magnolia Electric Company- Sojourner

Okkervil River - The Stage Names (their back catalog is available too so all are highly recommended...esp. the Black Sheep Boy and the BSB EP)

Bishop Allen- The Broken String

Super Fury Animals new one

Broken Social Scene presents: Kevin Drew

Les Savy Fav

Miles Davis '63 Monterrey Jazz Fest (dl'd this and haven't listened yet...but how can it be bad?)

Joan Baez - Vanguard Visionaries

There are others but that's a good start.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:08 am

I just signed up for the budget 30/month plan, but here's the good stuff I've grabbed so far:

Gore Gore Girls - Get the Gore

Hasil Adkins - Out to Hunch (had this on vinyl)

Neutral Milk Hotel - On Avery Island

Hold Steady - Separation Sunday

And then a bunch of awesome single tracks that I either had on vinyl or mixtapes over the years:

Butthole Surfers - "Moving to Florida" (The version on the mixtape I had was from a 12" but it was played at 33 RPM instead of 45, so it was slowed down and creepier.)

Daniel Johnson - "Rocketship" (The Dead Milkmen cover this on Bucky Fellini.)

Starship Beer - "Ghost of Owls" (One of the weirdest songs ever. I first heard it when I was 19, wasted on Bacardi 151, visiting a friend at the University of Chicago, and eating Harold's Chicken with my shirt off. Oh yeah!)

Staples Singers - "Uncloudy Day" (Pops' guitar is one of the most subtly badass ever)

William S. Burroughs - Recites Edgar Allen Poe's "The Mask of the Red Death"

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:56 am

On Avery Island is great...not nearly as great as "areoplane" but love it nonetheless.

I like The Hold Steady. DL'd the Gore Gore Girls but haven't gotten into it quite yet.

Try Asobe Seksu's Citrus. Also of note...Os Mutanes and other Luka Bop stuff. Also, any of the classic americana "Smithsonian Folkways" series if you like the Harry Smith Folk anthologies.

Kyle

Postby Kyle » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:53 am

Jake, good to hear you've taken the plunge. I think eMusic is a good business model for both users and labels. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Here's some of the good stuff I've gotten in the past few months:

They Might Be Giants - The Else
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Art Brut - It's a Bit Complicated
Boris - Akuma No Uta
The Kingsbury Manx - Aztec Discipline
Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
Black Francis - Bluefinger
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs (DL'd over the course of a few months)
The Dirtbombs - Ultraglide in Black
Mojave 3 - Excuses for Travellers
Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
Gossip - Standing in the Way of Control
Heartless Bastards - All This Time
James Blood Ulmer - Memphis Blood: The Sun Sessions
Melvins - A Senile Animal
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?

In addition, a lot of the good music present at the Pitchfork 2007 festival is on eMusic...my favorites in addition to Of Montreal have been Nomo, Dan Deacon, The Sea and Cake, Brightblack Morning Light, Oxford Collapse, The Twilight Sad and Professor Murder.

Glad to see the Gore Gore Girls' latest is there. On Avery Island is great, a few people think it's better than Aeroplane but that's a very, very hard album to top. I will be checking into the other albums posted here, will probably add them to my very, very long lists of albums to get...

Overall there's a boatload of good stuff on the site...it's really kind of hard to wrap your brain (or your download quota) around.

andy

Postby andy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:27 pm

Emusic is really terrific. If you haven't signed up for the free songs, do it. Why wouldn't you? If you're going to sign up, do it through a friend so they get free songs too.

Some of favorites have been
Andrew Bird Armchair Apocrypha
Spoon, Songs:ohia, GBV, White Stripes, yo la tengo
Charles Douglas - Statecraft
Mark Lanegan Band - Bubble Gum
The Rosebuds - night of the furies

Butt shaking:
Recloose - Dust (just this track, the rest of the songs don't rise to the level of this one)
Fela Kuti - Shakara/London Scene, Confusion/Gentleman

Butt-rock:
The Cult
Ted Nugent - the one with great white buffalo
I know I should be ashamed, but Great White Buffalo is rich with cowbell goodness.
There's also a decent selection of metal including mastodon, the sword, voivod, judas priest, accept, venom, high on fire and lamb of god

Blues:
John Lee Hooker - The Best Of John Lee Hooker: Vol.1

Folk:
John Fahey - America
Townes Van Zandt - Rear View Mirror, there's also a duet with willie on "no lonesome tune" on a different record that's pretty cool

Jazz downloads - the jazz on eMusic is terrific
Miles Davis - Relaxin, Cooking, etc--as someone said, how can you go wrong with Miles and these are great recordings from the 50s
Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Brotherman in the Fatherland
sonny rollins - saxophone collosus
cannonball adderly - in san francisco
bill evans - portrait in jazz

Emusic requires a little more effort/research but I was already doing that anyway.

L R
GLONO Board Playa

Postby L R » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:31 pm

Some good ones I got off of emusic.

Califone - Roots & Crowns
Centro-Matic - Fort Recovery, Love You Just the Same
Grandaddy - All
Great Lake Swimmers
Hold Steady - SS
Mission of Burma - The Obliterati
Ted Leo/Pharmacists - Tyranny of Distance
Tortoise - Millions now living...
Thievery Corp - all
Tinariwen

Jazz:
Jimmy McGriff - Groove Grease
Jimmy McGriff & Groove Holmes
Lots of Django
Fela Kuti W Ginger Baker

Kyle

Postby Kyle » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:34 am

I should also note that the two Black Keys albums I recommended on the album review some time ago, Thickfreakness & Rubber Factory, are both on eMusic.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:39 pm

New Black Francis is pretty cool. You can tell he wanted it to be a Pixies album.

New Heavy Trash is prety good. I miss the Blues Explosion, but this rockabilly Jon Spencer is way better than no Jon Spencer.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:32 pm

Art Brut - Art Brut vs. Satan
MGMT - Time to Pretend EP
Score! 20 years of Merge Records
Motley Crue - "Looks that Kill" and "Shout at the Devil"
Al Green - Greatest Hits
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - "Relax" "Two Tribes" and "Born to Run"
Black Lips - 200 Million Thousand
Carl Perkins - Complete Sun Singles

I was surprised to find the Motley Crue catalog on there. I know that Too Fast for Love is supposed to be great, but I'm not downloading the whole album -- can someone recommend the three best tracks? Thanks.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:55 pm

Jake wrote:I know that Too Fast for Love is supposed to be great, but I'm not downloading the whole album -- can someone recommend the three best tracks?

Indeed, this is a great album, and you should just buy the whole thing. (Hell, you spent money on Frankie Goes To Hollywood!) "Too Fast..." has few truly bad songs on it, and in that way reminds me quite a bit of Ratt's "Out of the Cellar."

Anyway, if you want to pare it down, there at least five songs you need:

Live Wire
Come on and Dance
Piece of Your Action
Starry Eyes
Too Fast For Love

Return to “Rants and Raves”