Kerouac Unbound

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Kerouac Unbound

Postby Jake » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:10 am

Kerouac Unbound

At last: the manuscript of On the Road, which Jack Kerouac typed 56 years ago on a 120-foot scroll of drafting paper, is reissued as he intended it.
by Joyce Johnson WEB EXCLUSIVE August 20, 2007

Wow, this is great. And I didn't even know this had been released: On the Road: The Original Scroll.

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:56 pm

I gotta pick that up! I didn't know that was out either.

I don't know if you get get the Ovation Channel on cable, but they just ran a bunch of documentaries on the Beats last week.

I taped one the other night called 'The Source.' I really enjoyed it. It really showed how important the Beats were and their overall impact on society. Made me want to dig out some of my old college American lit books!

They also had another documentary/profile on Ginsberg, which looked good too. I didn't watch it yet, but it looked facinating. He's always been one of my favorite poets.

http://www.ovationtv.com/film/programde ... _name=film

BeaArthur5-49
GLONO Board Playa

Re: Kerouac Unbound

Postby BeaArthur5-49 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:19 pm

Jake wrote:Wow, this is great. And I didn't even know this had been released:On the Road: The Original Scroll.

It's actually better than the published edition. The prose is a little more straight forward; it reads like an excited travel memoir with fewer of the overwrought digressions. And all the dirty parts are kept in. Plus, it's got everybody's real name, which was the real lure for a beatnik nerd like me. It's totally a worthwhile read.

Did any East Coasters make it to Lowell to see the scroll? It's a wonder to behold.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:43 am

The Amazon link ain't workin.
This looks like one of the first entries on my xmas list.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:23 pm

Fixed.

Return to “Rants and Raves”