Three years ago

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Three years ago

Postby Jake » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:02 am

Boy, was I mad!

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:12 am

You had a right to be. It still pisses me off.

We hated Bush before it was cool, at least. Although why it took America so long to figure that out is beyond me.

BeaArthur5-49
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BeaArthur5-49 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:32 am

It didn't take most of America that long....hell, we have to remember, he lost, then stole, BOTH elections. The majority of Americans voted against him TWICE. He's a liar and a cheat and a scumbag and a murderer and a MORON!

Where's Travis Bickle when you really need him?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:50 pm

BeaArthur5-49 wrote:The majority of Americans voted against him TWICE.

How do you figure? Bush got 51% of the popular vote in 2004.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Three years ago

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:37 pm

Jake wrote:Boy, was I mad!

Are you still mad?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:02 pm

Well, I don't think I'm as angry at the population anymore. I'm still disappointed with them/us, and I still don't regard our overall intelligence very highly. And the more I think about it, the more I find flaws in the entire idea of democracy, especially direct democracy. I wish we could trust our representatives to make good decisions, but we can't. And I don't really know can be done about that. Maybe that's just cynicism, but I don't know...

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:45 pm

Jake wrote:Well, I don't think I'm as angry at the population anymore. I'm still disappointed with them/us, and I still don't regard our overall intelligence very highly. And the more I think about it, the more I find flaws in the entire idea of democracy, especially direct democracy. I wish we could trust our representatives to make good decisions, but we can't. And I don't really know can be done about that. Maybe that's just cynicism, but I don't know...

You're a bit contradictory, here. On one hand, you are Plato's homeboy, the man who thought democracy the lowest form of government. We are a republic, not a democracy, for this good reason. You don't want public whim to decide each issue. You may know where the moon is, but this doesn't make you an astronaut.

On the other hand, you still assume Bush is president because people are stupid. Not true. I believe each side shares a relatively equal amount of stupid people.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:58 pm

Barabajagal wrote:On the other hand, you still assume Bush is president because people are stupid. Not true.

Really? Here's the thing: it's not the 30% of Americans who still support Bush and his policies that I'm disappointed in. It's the 20+% who voted for him in 2004 but now realize that he's a complete fucking disaster for this country. Why didn't they realize that in 2004? The only reason I can think of is that they're stupid...

I'm also still very disappointed that all eligible voters don't get their asses to the polls. Especially young people.

We are a republic only in the worst way. Our representatives are forced to pander to voters who have been brainwashed by corporations and special interests who spend shitloads of money in order to shape and direct the public discourse in order to manipulate and scare the people into ignoring what is best for the country...

I find it ironic and sad that the Founders fought to establish this idealistic government only to have it end up celebrating the lowest common denominator. George W. Bush is an embarrassment. And that's who we elect to our highest public office? America does not value intelligence, eloquence, education, thoughtfulness, or compassion. We like good old boys who'll Git-R-Done!! Yee haw.

Enough of that. Now I need a Cute Overload chaser. Less than one year until Election Day. Not sure if I'm going to make it without bursting a blood vessal...

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:21 pm

Ah, screw it - if Bush & Co. don't drive us into the ground with another pointless war in Iran, it'll be the Chinese that western businesses have made the new world economic power, because of slave/cheap labor.

Either way, America is on the way out. We're post-empire. Don't worry about it.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:42 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:Ah, screw it - if Bush & Co. don't drive us into the ground with another pointless war in Iran, it'll be the Chinese that western businesses have made the new world economic power, because of slave/cheap labor.

Either way, America is on the way out. We're post-empire. Don't worry about it.

That's why I married a Canadian! Go get yourself one!

Return to “Rants and Raves”