Year End List

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Year End List

Postby creepy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:28 pm

So I've notice there hasn't been any kind of "Best of '07" post yet so I figured I'd throw down a lil' Fave Five action. I probably only bought 10 or so new things this year, and I'm not gonna put 'em all in just to fill spots, so I'm going with 5.

1. Panda Bear "Person Pitch"
2. Battles "Mirrored"
3. Oh No "Dr. No's Oxperiment"
4. Okkervil River "Stage Names"
5. Kanye West "Graduation"

also, I know I'm way late jumping on this band's wagon, having only gotten their rekkid a month or so ago, but goddam "Writer's Block" by Peter Bjorn and John has been rockin' me steady. Would definitely be on the list had it not come out in '06...

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:36 pm

2007 Top Shelf is coming. Stay tuned, it's a doozy.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:58 pm

D. Phillips wrote:2007 Top Shelf is coming. Stay tuned, it's a doozy.

And by "doozy", he means that Jake still ain't hip to that Battles record.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:29 pm

worpswede wrote:And by "doozy", he means that Jake still ain't hip to that Battles record.

To be fair, that Battles record could hardly be considered music.

Sorry creepy.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:54 pm

ain't no skin offa my nose. there's plenty o' stuff the kids are listening to these days that i don't dig. to each their own.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:31 pm

I'm not on the Battles' bandwagon either. But here are the 5 I most enjoyed this year...

Panda Bear, The National, Okkervil River, Radiohead, and Mattress Fortress. Dinosaur Jr's cd and Beirut are a close 6th and 7th.

Grizzly Bear's EP is great as well. As far as reissues go, I'd have to say I'd have to go with Daydream Nation expanded.

Overall, I'd say a great year in music.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:35 pm

I know I'm getting too worked up about this but I'm fairly pathetic.
A friend posted their top 10 albums on a blog and then posted a fairly blunt list of performers that he wished would "go away" in 2008. Several of those artists are ones that I considered to release some of the best albums of last year (Wilco, Amy Winehouse, White Stripes, Radiohead).
And while opinions and debates are fine, there really was no explanation for the hate. The best he could come up with is how Wilco needs to "hang it up" because he hasn't liked them since A.M. and how Winehouse needs to "die already." It reminded me of high school when I heard a lot of comments from guys who didn't like The Cure or The Smiths because they "sound like fags." Actually, I can understand that argument better than how "over-hyped" a band is as a reason for the dislike. One argument points to the effeminate nature of the band's lead vocalist while the other merely addressed the amount of press exposure a band receives.
I guess what I'm getting at is that motherfuckers that don't like something need to be held accountable for their opinions and easy rebuttals like "The bassist of The Strokes gave chicks herpes....That's why I don't like The Strokes" shouldn't be allowed to fly.
Unless, of course, you actually did get herpes from a member of The Strokes, then it's completely understandable why you wouldn't like them.
So to Jake's prior complaints that Battles Mirrored ain't his cup b/c of the wash of notes 'n geeked out noodles, that's acceptable.
Plus, the fact that the drummer has a crash cymbal way higher than all the others is, admittedly, kind of gay.
But then again, I like those aforementioned "fag" bands, which pretty much means that I still think Mirrored rules.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:54 pm

I know I'm getting too worked up about this but I'm fairly pathetic.
A friend posted their top 10 albums on a blog and then posted a fairly blunt list of performers that he wished would "go away" in 2008. Several of those artists are ones that I considered to release some of the best albums of last year (Wilco, Amy Winehouse, White Stripes, Radiohead).
And while opinions and debates are fine, there really was no explanation for the hate. The best he could come up with is how Wilco needs to "hang it up" because he hasn't liked them since A.M. and how Winehouse needs to "die already." It reminded me of high school when I heard a lot of comments from guys who didn't like The Cure or The Smiths because they "sound like fags." Actually, I can understand that argument better than how "over-hyped" a band is as a reason for the dislike. One argument points to the effeminate nature of the band's lead vocalist while the other merely addressed the amount of press exposure a band receives.
I guess what I'm getting at is that motherfuckers that don't like something need to be held accountable for their opinions and easy rebuttals like "The bassist of The Strokes gave chicks herpes....That's why I don't like The Strokes" shouldn't be allowed to fly.
Unless, of course, you actually did get herpes from a member of The Strokes, then it's completely understandable why you wouldn't like them.
So to Jake's prior complaints that Battles Mirrored ain't his cup b/c of the wash of notes 'n geeked out noodles, that's acceptable.
Plus, the fact that the drummer has a crash cymbal way higher than all the others is, admittedly, kind of gay.
But then again, I like those aforementioned "fag" bands, which pretty much means that I still think Mirrored rules.

HUH?

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:58 pm

cat153 wrote:HUH?
What part of "I'm fairly pathetic" don't you understand?

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:25 pm

worpswede wrote:What part of "I'm fairly pathetic" don't you understand?

I'm with you, worp. All the way. Unfortunately, while the rise of blogs has led to a proliferation of great music, it's also led to a proliferation of crabby know-it-alls with too much vitriol and not enough substance.

As for my faves of the year ... well ... keep it tuned right here for Top Shelf '07. Same GloNo time, same GloNo network.

Return to “Rants and Raves”