Year End List

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:50 pm

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:16 pm

Sorry that took so long, everybody. I was planning on releasing it on the morning of Monday, Dec 31. But I got stupid busy by buying a new computer and getting everything set up on it. And of course, everything takes longer than you expect, etc, etc.

So then I was planning on prepping it for automatic release this morning at 6am (like normal), but it took me all day yesterday to recover from New Years Eve, and I was in bed (literally) by 8:30 and asleep by 10. No GLONO time. Sorry!

But anyway, it's up now, so please post your lists in the comments over there.

But I'm happy to continue dissing Battles here and scoffing at elitist snobs whose opinions are based on nothing more than hype aversion.

Re: Battles. It's not just the noodling. It's the pointlessly treated vocals, too. What the fuck is that? Trying to sound like cartoon gerbils?

Re: Accountability. I think it was actually Carlos D from the Interpols that gave that girl VD. Not the Strokes. A dumb reason to not like the band. But you know what is a damn fine reason to hate that band? Carlos D's haircut.

And you know what else? Carlos deez nuts, beeeotch!!!

Happy New Year, everybody. Feelin' great in '08.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:02 am

Jake wrote:But I'm happy to continue dissing Battles here and scoffing at elitist snobs whose opinions are based on nothing more than hype aversion.

Re: Battles. It's not just the noodling. It's the pointlessly treated vocals, too. What the fuck is that? Trying to sound like cartoon gerbils?

Re: Accountability. I think it was actually Carlos D from the Interpols that gave that girl VD. Not the Strokes. A dumb reason to not like the band. But you know what is a damn fine reason to hate that band? Carlos D's haircut.

Yeah, I was trying to be clever with the Strokes/Interpol mix up. It would have been great to start a nifty internets rumor here on the GloNo boards. It sounded better than suggesting that Sammy James Jr.'s sideburns are riddled with pubic lice and that he has infested women across the country. And "No I In Threesome" is another good reason to hate Interpol.

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:30 am

Riviera gave me lupus.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:38 am

worpswede wrote:Sammy James Jr.'s sideburns are riddled with pubic lice and that he has infested women across the country.

That one's totally true though.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:37 pm

I just finally picked up the Band of Horses cease to begin and really like it. Not sure if it's a late edition of my list of best releases after i really give it some time, but i guess that if it still holds me as it does now, that i would add it as a top release.

oh, and i completely forgot about andrew bird's armchair apophrica. it was right up there for album of the year for me and one of the most listenable arty albums i've heard in years.

Kyle

Postby Kyle » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:08 am

Yeah, that Band of Horses post reminded me: one thing I noticed in reading everybody's lists this year is that even though I found a boatload of great music last year, there's obviously a lot more that I missed. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep plugging away at it! It's a struggle, but someone's got to do it!

DavidMac
GLONO Board Playa

top 10

Postby DavidMac » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:01 am

1. The National- Boxer- lived up to the deserved hype. Nice u-turn from 2 years ago when the hipsters where leaving before their headlining set.
2. Centromatic- Operation Motorcide. A stunning work. 74 Scars, 74 Cuts; Atlanta; Circuits to Circuses. Its seems Will Johnson is uniting his musical parts: solo, Centromatic, San Gabriel into one hellacious band. maybe the best in this fine country.
3. SPOON- bad title- but beyond that 99% of bands should take notes from Britt Daniels on how to evolve without overcooking your sound.
4. Andrew Bird- Armchair Apocrypha. nice, arty, whistling- normally not my cup of tea- but this kid as too much talent to deny.
5. Grinderman- first with Nick Cave playing guitar- very nice start.
6. Feist- the Reminder.
7. Wussy- Left for Dead. Cincinnati Band- check this out or the debut Funeral Dress.
8. Pony's Turn the Lights Out. dont know why they cant get some more traction. catchy as hell in a smart way.
9. Modest Mouse We were Dead... Dashboard- fantastic song. didnt meet unrealistic expectations created when Johnny Marr joined the group but still a very solid effort.
10. Rufus Wainwright. Release the Stars. 3-4 stellar songs- some are a little to fay for me- but maybe those are my issues to work out.

I herebey deem this a stellar year for music- with few dissapointments: Wilco, Shins, Jason Isabell solo.

Return to “Rants and Raves”