Sad day for Wilco fans

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

gdavis5446
GLONO Board Playa

Sad day for Wilco fans

Postby gdavis5446 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:07 am

Canceling....ooops i mean postponing, with 5 days notice on Charleston in favor of SNL. Pretty shitty me thinks.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/n ... night-live

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:29 am

I can't blame them. SNL is a good spot and the first time the band's been invited to play. If you like the band, can you really be mad that they want to play this show?

gdavis5446
GLONO Board Playa

Postby gdavis5446 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:48 am

I don't think it's wrong to want to play the show. I think it's wrong to cancel a sold out show with 5 days notice because they got what they thought was a better offer that will offer them exposure. Business decision? Maybe.

I thought someone over at ViaChicago had an interesting point. What if the band had done the opposite? Told SNL sorry they already had a prior engagement. Everyone would be saying that's why they love the band. Drinks for the little guy. Hooray.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:02 pm

That seems to be holding Wilco up to a ridiculously high standard. Spoon did the same thing last year, but canceled THREE shows! Wilco just postponed one. Therefore Wilco loves their fans three time more than Spoon. Or something. Who cares? Only the 2,260 people in Charleston.

Consider this: a whole lot more Wilco fans will get to see their favorite band perform live on Saturday night this way... Millions more potentially.

gdavis5446
GLONO Board Playa

Postby gdavis5446 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:02 pm

Two songs on a past it's prime TV show vs. an actual scheduled concert with real paying fans. Seems like a simple decision to me.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:31 pm

Really? Simple? Those real paying fans in Charleston will still get to see the band, just a couple of months later. Big deal.

gdavis5446, did you have a ticket for the Charleston show? If not, how is this any of your business? Do you know anybody who had tickets?

I wonder how many of the 2,260 people in Charleston are really upset by this postponement... I realize it's an inconvenience, especially for out of towners, but really. Come on. Who could possibly fault the band for this?

Wilco has done so much pro-fan stuff over the years that it just seems silly to me that this is even an issue. I consider myself someone who holds bands up to very high standards of artistic integrity, but this is a no brainer. It's the band's job to spread their music to as many people as possible. That's exactly what they're doing in this case. Spreading the love. To six million households!

Normally, I'd go over to Via and read all the crazies' posts, but I don't think I have the stomach for it.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:54 pm

Wilco on SNL? Great! I'll see it since they aren't playing in Toronto any time soon, and the show is free. Hmmm. I guess the band will get paid well too, one hopes. BTW what label are they on this time?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:28 pm

Wilco is arguably the most fan-friendly band going and they postpone ONE show and you're mad? Give me a break...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:31 pm

miss carol wrote:BTW what label are they on this time?

Still on WEA's Nonesuch imprint, the same one that bought YHF after WEA's Reprise imprint let them go, ha ha.

Update from the band's newsletter:

As many of you have no doubt heard, Wilco will appear on NBC's Saturday
Night Live this weekend. Check your local listings for time/station.
Our apologies go out to the good people of Charleston and elsewhere who
were planning on attending the Wilco gig there this weekend. We never
take cancellations/postponements lightly but you'll just have to take
our word here that logistically, we had no choice. We'll make it up to
all of you this summer, we promise. Information on the rescheduled date
here http://wilcoworld.net/tours/index.php

The tour page says:

Wilco's February 29th performance at the North Charleston Performing Arts Center has been rescheduled for August 7th due to the band's March 1st appearance on Saturday Night Live. All tickets previously purchased will be honored for the rescheduled date. Refunds will be available from your point of purchase. We apologize for any inconvenience this change in schedule has caused.

Nicolson
GLONO Board Pimp

Happy day for Wilco fans

Postby Nicolson » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:10 pm

A good band gets more exposure, SNL books an act I actually want to see for once--and the band will make it up to the fans of the ONE--count it, one--show they're postponing.

Sheesh, have a heart. If you love a band, why not let them enjoy their successes once in a while?

P.S. - I'm not so sure SNL is totally past its prime--"D*ck in a box" was pretty funny in my book. (It's no Jim Belushi-era, but it's gotta at least be better than the year Julia Louie Dreyfus was on.)

Return to “Rants and Raves”