Sad day for Wilco fans

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:35 pm

I thought last week's return after the writers' strike (with Tina Fey hosting) was funny. I laughed out load several times. Of course, I wathced it at 6:00am after my kid woke me up and I was half delusional from lack of sleep, but...

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:57 pm

I too, think SNL is funny again and I thought it was great last week! The Hillary Clinton commentary by Tina Fey during her News segment was jaw droppingly funny.

RE: Wilco. I think it's funny that we're talking about a band not caring about it's fans (in Charleston) when they are truly, very fan friendly. Hell, if you go to their website, you can request a song to be played on their tour and they are interested in why that song is important to you! The interesting part, I think they actually are interested.

I've fired up the Tivo, so I'll be excited to see it Sunday...I'm too too old to stay up that late!

gdavis5446
GLONO Board Playa

Postby gdavis5446 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:39 pm

Jake wrote:Really? Simple? Those real paying fans in Charleston will still get to see the band, just a couple of months later. Big deal.

gdavis5446, did you have a ticket for the Charleston show? If not, how is this any of your business? Do you know anybody who had tickets?

No I am not going to the show, but a friend of mine and his wife were planning on flying from Tampa to Charelston for the show. 5 days in advance, they get notice Wilco got a better offer. It really doesn't matter though. I like Wilco, but considering all they preach I think it is hypocritical of them. I'll let one of Jeff Tweedy's comments sum it up for you:

"We're not U2. We're not the biggest rock band in the world. But we are part of the fabric of certain people's lives who have tickets and are waiting to see us. And there is no doubt in my mind that for some people out there, we are one of the threads they are hanging on to. And I think what we have to do as a band is to make those people aware of how we need them as much as they need us."

Nicolson
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Nicolson » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:23 pm

Um, a little perspective here?

Yes, it sucks for your friends, no denying that. But, Wilco is consistently one of the bands that does more for their fans than any other. I just saw them at the Riviera here in Chicago, and they were amazing--and poured everything they had into their extra-long set and extra-long encores. (And then they went out and did it again on four subsequent nights.)

They play through a lot of shit that a lot of "bigger" bands would cancel for (illness, family issues, etc.) and so far I've not seen a bad show out of them. They don't inflate their ticket prices, and are pioneers in terms of trying to strike a good balance between making a living as musicians and not screwing over their fans with Metallica-esque assholery about downloading.

And they still manage to maintain a good sense of perspective (I had friends who recently ran into Tweedy with Sue and the kids at a Chipotle grill--I mean, c'mon!)

These are not rock stars with an inflated sense of importance. They're working musicians who should be entitled to enjoy one good moment in the sun (not to mention a good career move). It clearly weighed on them that they'd be disappointing some fans--they're not jerks, you can tell they feel bad about it and are going to do what they can to make it up to people.

Your friends will get over one postponed show. But Wilco maybe had to think that the opportunity to do SNL was a little bigger in the long-run for them and their careers than your friends' disappointment.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:59 pm

1. Chipotle rules.

2. SNL wasn't 100% awesome even during the Belushi years. Watch some of those early episodes and half of the skits bomb.

3. Six million households watched SNL last week.

4. Charleston is a great, great town with or without Wilco. Unquestionably the best shrimp I've ever had were in Charleston. The boiled peanuts? Not so much. Weird texture.

gdavis5446
GLONO Board Playa

Postby gdavis5446 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:20 pm

My buddy being screwd over really isn't the point. It's the principle of the whole thing. Wilco released a statement saying the didn't have a choice which makes it even worse. They did have a choice. The could have told SNL thanks for the offer maybe another time, We have a sold out show booked in SC the night before.

Obviously we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:21 pm

So what did everyone think? I thought they were great...very tight. I've been a fan for a long, long time. However, I'm very much looking forward to their next album because I just can't get into the SBS songs. I've tried numerous times and i just can't bring myself to love it the way i have all their other albums up to AGIB. Sigh.

Baltimucho
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Baltimucho » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:44 pm

Not sure I liked Jeff's wardrobe change for the second song. Judging from the conversations at Via Chicago, that particular suit has some history. Nonetheless, that was really goofy looking.

They sounded great.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:41 pm

Bite your tongue! We do not sully the Nudie name around here!

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:14 pm

Those suits are works of art.

Return to “Rants and Raves”