Shine A Light

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Shine A Light

Postby russ » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:24 pm

Saw it tonight on IMAX.

yawn...

Half the songs I didn't know, and why all the guest stars?
Christina Agueillera? Jack White?
Buddy Guy was good at least.
It wasn't even a greatest hits show....

I know they're a great band and all.....
but this is just a glossy vanity project.

Don't believe the hype about this movie.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:35 pm

I'll first say that I haven't seen this movie... and probably won't. That said, the problem with this film is that it was made about 30 years too late. Who gives a crap about the Stones anymore? I would have rather seen Scorcese use the approach he used on the Dylan film... great archival footage of "the worlds greatest rock and roll band" and current interviews to give perspective to all that stuff. I ain't interested in a dinosaur act.

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:34 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:I'll first say that I haven't seen this movie... and probably won't. That said, the problem with this film is that it was made about 30 years too late. Who gives a crap about the Stones anymore? I would have rather seen Scorcese use the approach he used on the Dylan film... great archival footage of "the worlds greatest rock and roll band" and current interviews to give perspective to all that stuff. I ain't interested in a dinosaur act.

I'll definetely get this when it comes out on dvd (just because I am a freak for the Stones)

I agree with you though. Marty should have made a documentary similar to what he did with Dylan. He had tons of archived stuff to work with. I think it would have been cool to hear their perspective on various things...Brian Jones, Exile on Main street... etc.

The whole filmed Stones concert has been done so many times. It seems they do it every tour, so what could be different about this one? I'm sure it looks good though...filmwise.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:03 pm

Scorcese is such a hack. He hasn't made a good movie since Pearl Harbor. I mean, Bad Boys II was alright, but The Island? Sucked. And I thought the romantic subplot between Optimus and Megatron in Transformers wasn't developed Nearly as much as it could have been.

I'll still see his stuff (he's got a free pass for life thanks to Armageddon), but I just don't think he can deliver like he used to. I obviously haven't seen it yet, but how were the explosions in Shine? The fact that none of you have mentioned them yet fills me with apprehension.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:23 pm

quasarwutwut wrote:Scorcese is such a hack. He hasn't made a good movie since Pearl Harbor.

You can be a smartass all you want...or you can compared apples to apples. This is a documentary regarding a band, so compare it as such. And if you had enough brains to do that, you'd discover that Shine A Light is Scorcese's best work since Rattle & Hum.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:35 pm

worpswede wrote:You can be a smartass all you want...or you can compared apples to apples. This is a documentary regarding a band, so compare it as such. And if you had enough brains to do that, you'd discover that Shine A Light is Scorcese's best work since Rattle & Hum.

You Sir, are crazy. Yes, he's fairly solid for the first half of the show, but around the 40-minute mark he starts missing notes, looks bored, and at one point I'm pretty sure his bass is unplugged and he doesn't realize it.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:44 pm

quasarwutwut wrote:You Sir, are crazy. Yes, he's fairly solid for the first half of the show, but around the 40-minute mark he starts missing notes, looks bored, and at one point I'm pretty sure his bass is unplugged and he doesn't realize it.

Wait, isn't that his brother, Sid Scorcese?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:29 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Wait, isn't that his brother, Sid Scorcese?

No, it's his sister, Cyd Charisse.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:52 am

I only hope that Neil Diamond makes a special guest appearance. With shades.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:55 am

Oh, and ...

Return to “Rants and Raves”