The Ten Year Suck Rule

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

The Ten Year Suck Rule

Postby O! » Thu May 01, 2008 7:33 pm

In the thread about the diminishing relevance of R.E.M., we've touched upon a major truth about rock n' roll - that generally, good bands start to suck after ten years. Sure, they can occasionally bring it back under control and produce quality, but generally (due to stopping - or starting - drugs, an entourage of yesmen blowing smoke up their ass, getting sucked into their own vapid egos, whatever, a band will start sucking after 10 years. I'd like to know who has weathered the storm.

Here's my list:

Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon
Cranes
The Breeders
Bedhead/The New Year

(The slashes indicate name changes where core members remained the same - all new lineups don't count.)

BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby BloodshotBaby » Thu May 01, 2008 7:44 pm

i kinda want to add rhett miller to that list.

we'll see how the new old 97's record is. the last one wasn't bad, per se....and neither were his solo records...but...it's just not the same.

he's developed a bit of an over inflated ego since he got to be so pretty.

on the other hand....i think wilco is still producing quality material. they've been doing this for 14 years now.....
Last edited by BloodshotBaby on Thu May 01, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Thu May 01, 2008 8:03 pm

Yo La Tengo still makes albums I really want to listen to. It's actually their early stuff that I'm not too fond of. But, ever since May I Sing With Me (and maybe President Yo La Tengo), I've loved their stuff.

I haven't heard all of their first couple albums, but Sonic Youth had a really good run, from EVOL up through A Thousand Leaves. Although their last one wasn't very exciting, the only total clunker in their whole catalog is NYC Ghosts and Flowers.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Thu May 01, 2008 10:20 pm

I'll second Sonic Youth.
The first band to come to mind for me was Fugazi. '87 to '02 and they were always great. Hell, go back to the Teen Idles/Minor Threat, thru Fugazi and now The Evens, and Ian MacKaye's got damn near a 30 year run of high quality rock music.
Dave Alvin comes to mind as well. From the Blasters thru his newer country/singer/songwriter stuff he's always been good.

And as a Dallasite, I'll have to say that Rhett Miller's always been pretty and always had an ego. He's great tho.

Oh, and O!, I saw yesterday that Matt and Bubba are playing with Centromatic in June here, and they're being billed as "The Kadane Brothers". Thought that was kinda odd. Dunno if The New Year broke up or what tho. Just a heads up...
And if any of y'all haven't heard 'em, run out and pick yrself up some Bedhead. If ever a band has been criminally overlooked, it's them...

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Thu May 01, 2008 11:14 pm

Here here! Bedhead rocks!

BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby BloodshotBaby » Thu May 01, 2008 11:29 pm

they might be giants have been together for 25 years....and they're still awesome.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri May 02, 2008 12:00 am

BloodshotBaby wrote:they might be giants have been together for 25 years....and they're still awesome.

What have they done that lives up to the standards set by Lincoln and Flood?

1986 They Might Be Giants Restless/BarNone
1989 Lincoln Restless/BarNone
1990 Flood Elektra
1992 Apollo 18 Elektra
1994 John Henry Elektra
1996 Factory Showroom Elektra
1998 Severe Tire Damage [live] Restless
1999 Long Tall Weekend They Might Be Records
1999 Live BMG Special Products
2001 Mink Car Restless
2002 No! Rounder
2004 The Spine Zoe
2005 Here Come the ABC's Disney Sound
2007 Else Zoe
2008 Here Come the 123's EMI

You're honestly willing to say there's not a dud in the bunch? I find that impossible to believe. I mean really. I love some/a lot of their stuff. But it wears pretty thin after one whole album (at their peak!), much less after 25 years... God bless 'em, they're great guys, but...come on.

Josh B.
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Josh B. » Fri May 02, 2008 12:15 am

Wilco peaked at YHF. Sky Blue Sky was a let down. I'm sure they will continue to deliver the live goods for years to come but I can't see any more great albums.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri May 02, 2008 1:50 am

I'm gonna go ahead and throw in The Kinks, as I mentioned in the REM thread. From 1964 through 1979 they released way more good to great albums than lousy albums, although they did do some lousy albums. And they even managed to cut some good sides, though no great albums, into the 80s. I think they qualify, especially when you put the crappy albums in the light of alcohol abuse and inter-band tension.

BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby BloodshotBaby » Fri May 02, 2008 2:51 am

Jake wrote:
You're honestly willing to say there's not a dud in the bunch? I find that impossible to believe. I mean really. I love some/a lot of their stuff. But it wears pretty thin after one whole album (at their peak!), much less after 25 years... God bless 'em, they're great guys, but...come on.

i really love 'the spine'...and i like 'severe tire damage' and 'john henry' i'll have to go back and listen to more of the interim material...my brother's the bigger fan, i'll ask him.

Return to “Rants and Raves”