The Ten Year Suck Rule

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri May 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Tom4 wrote:Radiohead!!!!!!!,

As a personal favor to me I would appreciate it if everyone could avoid discussing Radiohead or any topics that might compel Tom 4 to post a message. I have now narroed the gap to 14(1202 to 1188) and may be able to surpass him in the coming weeks. I don't have a lot in my life and I don't think this is too much to ask considering all the joy I've provided all of you since July 2004.(Well actually before that if you count Mr. Yuck in the pre-registration days.)

BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby BloodshotBaby » Fri May 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Jake wrote:
Nope. 1973:

Sucks.

you won't let me have any of my bands, will you? :(

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Fri May 02, 2008 2:49 pm

One sucky album and they are deleted. Really, though, what we're looking for here is a consistent 10 years, then continuing to make good records beyond that.

For example, Red House Painters first record appeared in 1992. Not a one has sucked since, Mark Kozelek solo material and three Sun Kil Moon records.

The first Cure record hit streets in 1978. By 1987, they were producing questionable material. Disintegration is classic, Wish has some missteps and 1996's Wild Mood Swings was a big fart. They could make the cut if you are lenient.

Weezer's first appeared in 1994. I was never fond of Pinkerton, so to me they start to suck immediately. 2001's "Green Album" definitely sucked. They do not get on the list.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri May 02, 2008 2:59 pm

O! wrote:I was never fond of Pinkerton, so to me they start to suck immediately.

BANNED! Image

(Just kidding)

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Fri May 02, 2008 4:07 pm

I'll go on record saying Oingo Boingo sucked at the 10-year mark... "Only A Lad" was released in 1981; 10 years later we got the relative drudgery of "Dark at the End of the Tunnel." It took 3 more years for them to release an album that had both the new, more complicated sound and some decent songwriting. To their credit, at that point they decided to go out on a high note.

MF
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby MF » Fri May 02, 2008 7:31 pm

Can we dip a toe in other genres?

I'd say Thelonious Monk had a pretty stellar run from '51 to '68, and was especially proficient from about 1955 to '67 (the Orin Keepnews recordings through to Straight No Chaser).

Glenn Gould cuts it close, he peaked in '55, was done performing by '64, but put out great stuff through '67. 1969's The Latecomers is good, but not great...

I've been on a huge Sinatra kick lately (when I was growing up, my dad was a big fan and maybe I'm just hitting that age). But, when you've loved and lost like Frank has you can put out a solid string of great albums. His work from '45 to 1960 is great, beating the 10 year rule by half-a-decade.

And while on the topic of Frank, is there a better nickname than "Chairman of the Board" - seriously? maybe "the Baby Faced Assasin" but that's about it. And I freakin' love this quote from Ava Gardner's recent bio: when she asked what she saw in the 119 pound has been, Gardner replied that 19 pounds of Sinatra was cock.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Fri May 02, 2008 7:31 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:
As a personal favor to me I would appreciate it if everyone could avoid discussing Radiohead or any topics that might compel Tom 4 to post a message. I have now narroed the gap to 14(1202 to 1188) and may be able to surpass him in the coming weeks. I don't have a lot in my life and I don't think this is too much to ask considering all the joy I've provided all of you since July 2004.(Well actually before that if you count Mr. Yuck in the pre-registration days.)

Oh it's so on.

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Fri May 02, 2008 7:56 pm

Jake wrote:BANNED!

Okay, okay. I'll give Pinkerton another listen. It's been awhile.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Fri May 02, 2008 11:50 pm

i have af few so i will make a small list that i hope isn't so questionable. here we go:

beastie boys
emmylou harris
billy bragg
robyn hitchcock
the flaming lips
the b-52's
suzanne vega

BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby BloodshotBaby » Sat May 03, 2008 1:04 am

fuck yeah for emmylou harris and robyn hitchcock. both incredible artists.

Return to “Rants and Raves”