My Morning Jacket

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

L R
GLONO Board Playa

My Morning Jacket

Postby L R » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:10 pm

What do y'all think about the new My Morning Jacket album?

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:00 pm

I love it except for "Highly Suspicious."

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:59 pm

Tom4 wrote:I love it except for "Highly Suspicious."

THANK YOU. What the fuck is that song? It's a fucking joke. I took the CD out of the player to make sure it hadn't morphed into a shitty nu-metal disc through some sort of musical mutation. It's a solid album, otherwise, it's definitely growing on me, unlike Z or It Still Moves which hooked me instantly.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:45 am

hebrew hammer wrote:
THANK YOU. What the fuck is that song? It's a fucking joke. I took the CD out of the player to make sure it hadn't morphed into a shitty nu-metal disc through some sort of musical mutation. It's a solid album, otherwise, it's definitely growing on me, unlike Z or It Still Moves which hooked me instantly.

I actually was hooked up Evil Urges immediately, a few tracks aside. It started with hearing the title track for the very first time at THIS VERY SITE. The love continued when I heard the killer drums on "Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 1." Besides "Highly Suspicious" it took me a while to dig "Librarian" but that's grown on me. Otherwise I liked it pretty much straight away.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:23 pm

Tom4 wrote:
I actually was hooked up Evil Urges immediately, a few tracks aside. It started with hearing the title track for the very first time at THIS VERY SITE. The love continued when I heard the killer drums on "Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 1." Besides "Highly Suspicious" it took me a while to dig "Librarian" but that's grown on me. Otherwise I liked it pretty much straight away.

My problem was how much I loved Z. I'm absolutely addicted to it. I think it's horribly underrated and absolutely brilliant. So the change on Evil Urges threw me off, and disappointed me upon first listen, but now I've really come to appreciate it.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:45 pm

I think it pretty much sucks to the point of being unlistenable. Their drummer is good enough to almost save the day but this is one huge stinker, and I can't figure out why they chose this point in their career to release this. I can't tell if its a crass/ultra-lame grab for a bigger market, a, or the result of some sort of pressure, or just a goof, or a really ill-advised "experiment."

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:47 am

Barabajagal wrote:I think it pretty much sucks to the point of being unlistenable. Their drummer is good enough to almost save the day but this is one huge stinker, and I can't figure out why they chose this point in their career to release this. I can't tell if its a crass/ultra-lame grab for a bigger market, a, or the result of some sort of pressure, or just a goof, or a really ill-advised "experiment."

Hmmm, can you elaborate? I've always respected your opinion. I don't see how it's much of an "experiment" besides the title track and the aforementioned "Highly Suspicious."

I guess it's a tad more mainstream, but they'd been working that way with Z as well and everyone loved/loves that.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:27 pm

I loved Z, but since then I like them better as Fleet Foxes.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

jonas wrote:I loved Z, but since then I like them better as Fleet Foxes.

That is a good one!

Tom I think this latest record they move away from the things that I liked about them--that darker, spookier atmosphere they do so well--to the point of completely changing the character of the band. Maybe it's a natural progression? Granted, I never thought they had many memorable tunes, but I loved their aesthetic (and as I said they have a killer drummer).

It reminds me a little of when R.E.M.'s Green came out and how much I hated that record because they seemed to eschew everything that was so cool about what they did in favor of more "accessible" material and "growth" as a band. It still had a few songs I liked but in retrospect it really was the beginning of a looong end for them (Automatic 4tha Peabo being an exceptional postscript).

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:24 am

On the whole, I like Evil Urges, but I have yet to warm up to the falsetto songs. To me, the pseudo Prince stuff just doesn't play to their strengths. Full marks for trying a few different things with the new record, but "different" doesn't always equate with "better" where personal taste is concerned.

Return to “Rants and Raves”