Every Book Art Garfunkel has ever read

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas »

jaimoe0 wrote:I noticed that Artie read "Confederacy of Dunces" but didn't mark it as a favorite. I heard for years how I "simply must read this book" and about how much I'd love it. So I read it, and I gotta say I didn't love it. It was OK, but it was hard to sympathize with any of the characters. Anybody else tackle this book and come away unimpressed?
I could barely finish it, for the same reason you said...completely unsympathetic characters.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

Artie seems to do a lot of "spinach reading." Books you're "supposed" to read cuz they're "important" and "good for you." I wonder how many of those big, classic tomes that didn't receive asterisks he actually liked?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

jaimoe0 wrote:Artie seems to do a lot of "spinach reading." Books you're "supposed" to read cuz they're "important" and "good for you." I wonder how many of those big, classic tomes that didn't receive asterisks he actually liked?
...or finished.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas »

I call bullshit - no way anyone read all that and didn't read some junk fiction along the way. Everyone I know who reads so-called "literature" also picks up the occasional airplane novel, murder mystery, or cheesy beach read. His reading list looks like he's trying to impress and fuck some self-serious co-ed from Radcliffe.

jaimoe0

Post by jaimoe0 »

There is some lighter fare mixed in there... I think he read The DaVinci Code, right?

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas »

jaimoe0 wrote:There is some lighter fare mixed in there... I think he read The DaVinci Code, right?
My eyes started crossing at some point, so I must have missed that. I don't think one lousy Dan Brown book and the occasional Stephen King nightcrawler is enough to convince me that these are the only books he's read, or that he's really read them all.

<shrug> I could certainly be wrong.

jaimoe0

Post by jaimoe0 »

jonas wrote: <shrug> I could certainly be wrong.
No. No, I won't hear of it. You cannot be wrong.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

I'm not going to sift through 40 years of reading, but his favs do include Jane Austen and Carrie Fisher, neither of whom are heavyweights. I reckon if I include everything I read at university, everything I read for pleasure, and everything I read for work, I could come up with a more than adequate list. As could many of you, no doubt.

jaimoe0

Post by jaimoe0 »

I'm compiling my list now, but I'm not being weird about it. I'm just jotting down the stuff on my bookshelf that I remember reading, which strikes me as kind of silly since if I wanna know what I have read, might have read or potentially could read, all I have to do is look on the bookshelf. Nobody else is gonna give a shit, right?

stickman45
Cocksmith

Post by stickman45 »

miss carol wrote:I'm not going to sift through 40 years of reading, but his favs do include Jane Austen and Carrie Fisher, neither of whom are heavyweights. I reckon if I include everything I read at university, everything I read for pleasure, and everything I read for work, I could come up with a more than adequate list. As could many of you, no doubt.
Talk is cheap, Carol.

Well,we're waiting...