The class of 2012 has grown up in an era where computers and rapid communication are the norm, and colleges no longer trumpet the fact that residence halls are “wired” and equipped with the latest hardware. These students will hardly recognize the availability of telephones in their rooms since they have seldom utilized landlines during their adolescence. They will continue to live on their cell phones and communicate via texting. Roommates, few of whom have ever shared a bedroom, have already checked out each other on Facebook where they have shared their most personal thoughts with the whole world.
It is a multicultural, politically correct and “green” generation that has hardly noticed the threats to their privacy and has never feared the Russians and the Warsaw Pact.
4. GPS satellite navigation systems have always been available.
9. Electronic filing of tax returns has always been an option.
22. Clarence Thomas has always sat on the Supreme Court.
28. IBM has never made typewriters.
33. The Tonight Show has always been hosted by Jay Leno and started at 11:35 EST.
37. Authorities have always been building a wall across the Mexican border.
44. Caller ID has always been available on phones.
50. They have never known life without Seinfeld references from a show about “nothing.”
I'm fucking old.