Where the Wild Things Are

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Where the Wild Things Are

Postby Jake » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am

Maurice Sendak turns 80, and finally comes out:

Was there anything he had never been asked? He paused for a few moments and answered, “Well, that I’m gay.”

“I just didn’t think it was anybody’s business,” Mr. Sendak added. He lived with Eugene Glynn, a psychoanalyst, for 50 years before Dr. Glynn’s death in May 2007. He never told his parents: “All I wanted was to be straight so my parents could be happy. They never, never, never knew.”

Happy Birthday, Mr. Sendak!

Via Offsprung.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:11 pm

One of my favorite books as a child and the first one I bought my niece.

I've been waiting for the movie to come for so long.

MF
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby MF » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:05 am

I saw this photo on-line last year and immediately knew I had to talk my wife into cracking out her sewing machine so our little guy could rock something similar this hallowe'en:

He's already got the "Be Still!" part down pat and we bought the fabric for his costume on Saturday...Now, I just need to put the finishing touches on my DJ Lance Rock outfit and we'll be all set...

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:47 am

I used to tease my kids: "Hey, who wants to read Where tha Wild Things At?"

Sendak music bonus, Glono Parents: Really Rosieby Carole King--just a great record. Yep, I'll keep on recommendin'.

And my personal Sendak favorite: Outside over There. A bit scary, but gorgeous and mysterious.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:52 pm

My kid is on a crazy kick where all he wants to listen to is Grandaddy's "Nature Anthem" over and over and over. To let me know he wants to hear it, he sticks his finger in his ear and does his Axl Rose side-to-side dance. If I play a different song, he shakes his head no.

Video: Grandaddy - "Nature Anthem"

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uSer4wdHvm8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:17 pm

Jake wrote:My kid is on a crazy kick where all he wants to listen to is Grandaddy's "Nature Anthem" over and over and over.

The boy has good taste. I love that song (and that video) more than anything.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:30 pm

Barabajagal wrote:I used to tease my kids: "Hey, who wants to read Where tha Wild Things At?"

Sendak music bonus, Glono Parents: Really Rosieby Carole King--just a great record. Yep, I'll keep on recommendin'.

HEY!!! Four of those are on a tape my kids love, but I had no idea there were 9 more to see...thanks for the link!!

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:24 am

Barabajagal wrote:Sendak music bonus, Glono Parents: Really Rosieby Carole King--just a great record. Yep, I'll keep on recommendin'.

We had "movie day" once a week at the day care center I went to as a kid, and they showed that movie every once in a while. It was great, and I can still remember most of the songs from it. My favorite's always been the "I don't care" one.

We also saw an awful lot of "Free to be You and Me", and to this day I wonder if that thing had any influence on my views of sexual politics or if it went completely over my head.

Nicolson
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Nicolson » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:59 pm

Love that Grandaddy song, but honestly, the video? Um...anyone ever see that episode of CSI about "furries"?

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:19 pm

Oh, hell no. The minute furries go mainstream I'm joining the Michigan Militia.

They're responsible for insanity like this.

CSI? Really? God help us all.

Return to “Rants and Raves”