Where the Wild Things Are

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:34 pm

Nicolson wrote:Love that Grandaddy song, but honestly, the video? Um...anyone ever see that episode of CSI about "furries"?

No. Is it anything like the Quincy punk episode?
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DpYd7bOn52M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

(Sorry if I posted the video incorrectly)

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:33 pm

Spike Jonez and David Eggers have adapted the book for a movie: Rolling Stone interview with Jonez:

I wanted to make a movie that felt true to me and my experience of being a kid, trying to understand the world and people around me, trying to understand the relationships and wild emotions inside me and the people I was close to. As a kid, there's no road map to navigate any of that. Basically, I wanted to take this nine-year-old kid seriously as a person who is trying to understand the world and himself.

Could be cool, could be terrible. What do you think?

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:59 pm

Jake wrote:Could be cool, could be terrible. What do you think?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it will be terrible, just like I think the Watchmen movie will be terrible. Some things just aren't adaptable to movies.

Next, they'll try to make a movie out of Calvin and Hobbes where they have to save the world, or some stupid shit.

MF
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby MF » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:51 am

Apparently Jonze's version was "too weird" and "too scary" and had to be re-shot and re-edited after testing:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/06/02/ ... -all-june/

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:47 am

My boy was Max from Where the Wild Things Are this year for Halloween. He loved it and looked great.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:19 am

I had a very weird dream last night about this movie. And let's hope the movie is nothing like my dream, because my dream was totally f-ed up. Max wasn't even a main character in my dream: the plot was about how his parents were totally insane up and that's what led him to escape to his imaginary world. But that only happens in the last 5 minutes: the rest of the movie centered on his parents' twisted adulterous, S&M freakiness. Including a grotesque William Shatner sex scene. Horrifying.

Anything Spike Jonez comes up with will be better than that, I'm certain.

MF
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby MF » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:50 am

D. Phillips wrote:My boy was Max from Where the Wild Things Are this year for Halloween. He loved it and looked great.

Really? Mine too.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:43 pm

Movie trailer. Looks pretty cool. (Non-QT link.)

<embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/9813" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="237" allowFullScreen="true"></embed>

Via Idolator.
Last edited by Jake on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:12 pm

There was a good interview with Jonze about this in AICN last year. I love that Sendak is still around to give guidance on this.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:52 pm

jonas wrote:There was a good interview with Jonze about this in AICN last year.

Great interview! I love that Spike did it as "natural" as possible. All shot on location, no green screen! Dudes in huge suits!

Return to “Rants and Raves”