Where the Wild Things Are

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:39 pm

miss carol wrote:I'm of the school that if it can happen to a child, they should be able to read about it using age-appropriate language. Certainly, some kids are more sensitive than others (hell, horror movies still give me bad dreams!) but war, deprivation, and insecurity are suitable topics for kids lit when properly handled. Bubble wrap is for furniture.

I can dig that. We don't let our kid watch much TV yet, but occasionally we watch a Planet Earth together, and sometimes a lion is going to catch up with a gazelle. That's how it goes.

But the first time we let him watch a cartoon, it was some innocuously insipid drivel on Sprout where kids were tossing a water balloon back and forth. Three minutes in, after one of the kids dropped his balloon, my kid flipped out: "FIX IT! FIX IT!" Bawling hysterically. We had to turn it off. I guess he's not really into the literary concept of "conflict" yet.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:35 pm

I just saw the move with the wife. We both thought it was a little, well, the monsters need some Prozak. I wouldn't bring my kid, either. And he's eighteen.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:01 pm

Jake wrote:I can dig that. We don't let our kid watch much TV yet, but occasionally we watch a Planet Earth together, and sometimes a lion is going to catch up with a gazelle. That's how it goes.

But the first time we let him watch a cartoon, it was some innocuously insipid drivel on Sprout where kids were tossing a water balloon back and forth. Three minutes in, after one of the kids dropped his balloon, my kid flipped out: "FIX IT! FIX IT!" Bawling hysterically. We had to turn it off. I guess he's not really into the literary concept of "conflict" yet.

He sounds a little young. I had school-age children in mind. Little ones flip out when you take Dora away for two seconds to scan, which is understandable. If you've only been on the planet two years, and cognisant for less, then two seconds is practically a lifetime.

I'm thinking of Canadian author Debra Ellis who writes mainly chapter books, such as The Breadwinner . But yeah, nature shows and perhaps the dinner-time news fall into that category. When kids their age are fleeing bombs and bullets, I think it's important kids here know about it without the FAUX News hysteria.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:01 pm

Little Timmy wrote:I just saw the move with the wife. We both thought it was a little, well, the monsters need some Prozak. I wouldn't bring my kid, either. And he's eighteen.

Just caught the Spike Jones interview on Fresh Air from earlier this week. Jones said that when developing the movie he viewed the Wild Things as emotions. Each one is a manifestation of wild childish emotions. It makes sense that the Wild Things are "wild." Young kids don't always know how to control those emotions. If they let them out, it can be destructive. But so bottling them up.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:03 pm

miss carol wrote:Little ones flip out when you take Dora away for two seconds to scan, which is understandable. If you've only been on the planet two years, and cognisant for less, then two seconds is practically a lifetime.

I see you've been to my house then.
It's the same way in the morning with her purse. It's contents? A little Brobee, two of the Wonderpets, an old cell phone that doesn't power on, and a pink plastic bracelet. If she doesn't have her purse to go to daycare, she freaks.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:53 am

A fantastic piece from The Guardian on Sendak.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:05 pm

Sooo.... the film was good, very well done, totally not kid tripe, made my son cry (in a good, empathetic way--he's 8). It's too "advanced" for really young kids (under 6), maybe. They may lose interest. It moves relatively slowly.

The naysayers basically want it to be some cutesy romp. But I can't imagine stretching that book to feature length and remaining true to the intent of the book any other way. What makes Sendak's work great? His unsentimental wrangling with children's emotions. This film gets it. Jonze's vision for the natural look of the movie is really artful and refreshing.

My only hesitation is in the casting of Tony Sopr--er, James Gandolfini, as the main Wild Thang. I simply thought that character should have had a bigger voice. Minor quibble.*

*OK, it's not a minor quibble. I don't need to play "Recognize the voice" when I see animation. In fact, I resent that famous actors make yet more money while someone who could have done a much better job didn't get the chance at some voice work.

Return to “Rants and Raves”