The Long and Winding Road is the Beatles worst song

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

The Long and Winding Road is the Beatles worst song

Postby quasarwutwut » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:51 pm

"The Long and Winding Road" makes me want to strangle Paul with my own vomit (which logistically would be fairly difficult, but I'd get it done).

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is a close second.

lilnary
GLONO Board Playa

Re: The Long and Winding Road is the Beatles worst song

Postby lilnary » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:11 pm

quasarwutwut wrote:"The Long and Winding Road" makes me want to strangle Paul with my own vomit (which logistically would be fairly difficult, but I'd get it done). "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is a close second.

After what Phil Spector did to it. But remove his "wall of sound" and it's greatly improved.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:21 pm

Talk about wobblin' into Weirdsville. I was thinking of posting this topic yesterday because I couldn't get "For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite" out of my head. That's a bad one heyna? Quasar on same mind wave as Sven.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:29 pm

Yeah, "Long and Winding Road" is pretty dire; the schmaltz factor is jacked up to eleven. I'd argue that "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is a good song, tho. How many other cheery, barroom singalong songs about mass murderers are there out there? I mean, from a sheer weirdness standpoint, this one wins huge marks from me. However, if I never hear "Yellow Submarine" ever again in my dirty life and times, it won't be soon enough.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:47 pm

Are there any Ringo songs that don't make you want to skip them? "Act Naturally" is alright, I guess.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:04 pm

I quite like "Long and Winding Road" and "Maxwell's Silver Hammer."

I loathe "Yellow Submarine" and "I Am the Walrus."

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:10 pm

Jake wrote:Are there any Ringo songs that don't make you want to skip them? "Act Naturally" is alright, I guess.

You ever listen to "Boys" on Please Please Me? Yikes. That'll send shivers down your spine, and not in a good way.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:19 pm

Tom4 wrote:"I Am the Walrus."

Banned!

(Just kidding, but seriously? What's the matter with you, man?)

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:18 pm

"The Long and Winding Road" on the original Let It Be sucks donkey balls. What a cloying atrocity. Worst in the canon? Probably the nadir post-1966, yeah.

The version on Let It Be - Naked isn't as horrible. But this is just a matter of degree. It's still completely skippable.

For what it's worth, I think there's other songs in the oeuvre that are less than the sum of their parts, too. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on The Beatles is okay. But I much prefer the stripped down acoustic version, without all the Clapton noodling, on Anthology 3.

Just sayin'.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:02 pm

Greenwood The Sock Monkey wrote: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on The Beatles is okay. But I much prefer the stripped down acoustic version, without all the Clapton noodling, on Anthology 3.

I second that motion. Them shits is raw, yo.

Return to “Rants and Raves”