The Long and Winding Road is the Beatles worst song

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:30 am

if one had to pick the worst Beatles song there has to be others that would beat out 'The Long and Winding Road.' I actually like that song (both versions as well).

What about 'Piggies' 'Bungalow Bill' or even 'Revolution #9' which lets face it, is completely unlistenable...(unless you are tripping your balls off, then it kicks ass).

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:36 am

Barabajagal wrote:The Beatles' batting average should be enough to seriously freak anybody out.

It's true. If you can manage a way to listen with fresh ears, even played-out stuff like "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and "She Loves You" is pretty f-ing cool. Gotta love handclaps.

Take away all the covers and all the Ringo songs, and you've got an incredibly consistent body of work.

And even the throwaway filler on the later albums is pretty cool ("Why Don't We Do It in the Road", "Maggie May", "Dig It," "Polythene Pam").

Even crap b-sides like "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)" and "Inner Light" have a certain charm as a document of the era.

I've gone back and listened to Let It Be...Naked again recently, and although I still agree with my initial attitude about cleaning stuff up in ProTools (boo!), I've now gotta admit that it was a pretty interesting way of re-imagining the Beatles.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:40 pm

Jake wrote:I've gone back and listened to Let It Be...Naked again recently, and although I still agree with my initial attitude about cleaning stuff up in ProTools (boo!), I've now gotta admit that it was a pretty interesting way of re-imagining the Beatles.

I don't have this, but I've heard it and thought it sounded unsettling. Admittedly, some of it was pretty cool, but I just had a big issue with how this seemed to be a Paul project and there was nobody left (namely John) to play devil's advocate with him.
I guess what I'm saying is that I kind of liked the Spector mix and always considered Let It Be to be one of those underrated Beatles albums.
Sorry if this topic has been discussed before.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:55 pm

worpswede wrote:I don't have this, but I've heard it and thought it sounded unsettling.

I agree with that, and that's what I think is interesting about it. Anytime somebody can make me hear something "new" about the Beatles -- even if it is TOTALLY a Paul project, and totally contrary to everything I believe about the proper way to present archival recordings -- I think it's interesting.

I mean, I've been listening (hard) to the Beatles for over 20 years now. It's difficult to pull the music out of the audio wallpaper most of the time.

johnhl
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby johnhl » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:27 pm

Jake wrote:I mean, I've been listening (hard) to the Beatles for over 20 years now. It's difficult to pull the music out of the audio wallpaper most of the time.

I watched Help! with my 12 year-old son for the first time yesterday--talk about a way to peel off the wallpaper..."The Night Before" is now the "protection scene song". I even found "Love" a good way to look at them again; although my son still thinks of it as sacrilege.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:00 pm

worpswede wrote:I don't have this, but I've heard it and thought it sounded unsettling. Admittedly, some of it was pretty cool, but I just had a big issue with how this seemed to be a Paul project and there was nobody left (namely John) to play devil's advocate with him.
I guess what I'm saying is that I kind of liked the Spector mix and always considered Let It Be to be one of those underrated Beatles albums.
Sorry if this topic has been discussed before.

I loved Let it Be and for a while would have called it one of my favorite albums. Your comments about Paul reminded me of something John Lennon said about my favorite song on LiB:

LENNON: "The Beatles didn't make a good record of 'Across the Universe.' I think subconsciously we... I thought Paul subconsciously tried to destroy my great songs. We would play experimental games with my great pieces, like 'Strawberry Fields,' which I always felt was badly recorded. It worked, but it wasn't what it could have been. I allowed it, though. We would spend hours doing little, detailed cleaning up on Paul's songs, but when it came to mine... especially a great song like 'Strawberry Fields' or 'Across the Universe' ...somehow an atmosphere of looseness and experimentation would come up."

PLAYBOY: "Sabotage?"

LENNON: "Subconscious sabotage. I was too hurt... Paul will deny it, because he has a bland face and will say this doesn't exist. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about where I was always seeing what was going on and began to think, Well, maybe I'm paranoid. But it is not paranoid. It is the absolute truth. The same thing happened to 'Across the Universe.' The song was never done properly. The words stand, luckily."

http://www.whale.to/b/lennon1.html

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:03 pm

"Birthday" just came up on Shuffle. And I skipped it.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:04 pm

johnhl wrote:I watched Help! with my 12 year-old son for the first time yesterday--talk about a way to peel off the wallpaper..."The Night Before" is now the "protection scene song". I even found "Love" a good way to look at them again; although my son still thinks of it as sacrilege.
The fact that you can have such discussions with your son is incredibly cool.
I heard like two songs from Love and thought "This is pretty awesome." Haven't got it yet.

Erica C.
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Erica C. » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:18 pm

I went through the entire list waiting for someone to mention "Blue Jay Way". I think it's because the song is not at all memorable.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:35 pm

Erica C. wrote:I went through the entire list waiting for someone to mention "Blue Jay Way". I think it's because the song is not at all memorable.

It's better than "Flying."

There's a fog upon L.A...

Return to “Rants and Raves”