Anyone ever use a Boostaroo?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Nicolson
GLONO Board Pimp

Anyone ever use a Boostaroo?

Postby Nicolson » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:39 pm

Just wondering: I have a new pair of AKG K81 headphones that sound great but aren't very well driven on my 5th gen Ipod. It's not terrible, but I could definitely use a bit of a boost.

Has anyone has ever used the portable headphone amp called the "Boostaroo Revolution"? And what kind of luck you had with it? Or, do you have experience with any other kinds of portable amps suitable for an ipod?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:58 pm

Ooooooo, I love topics like this. I hope someobody responds. I've never used a portable headphone amp, but I'm excited to hear about them.

Nicolson
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Nicolson » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:45 pm

Well, I'd still love to hear opinions, but I think after looking at reviews (pretty good overall) and price ($35) that I'm going to just go ahead and get one.

My only hesitation: Boostaroo says it can increase volume 400%--and my ipod has a dangerous little habit of the volume going crazy and spiking wildly up and down anytime my cell phone rings...or when I'm on the el and the train goes by particular spots. It's uncomfortable enough when it happens now. I can't imagine what it would be like if it "could go to 11" so to speak...but I guess that is what the "volume limit" setting was designed for (though I'll need to check and see if it works even when it's interference that causes the volume spike).

I'll let you know if it gets a thumbs up.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:54 pm

Dumb concern, but if you do go about getting this, pls. don't blow out your hearing. Otherwise, you'll end up like Pete Townshend: deaf as a post!!

I'm just sayin'...

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:49 pm

Not that this should sway you one or another, but a friend of mine, a really talented musician, put on some headphones in a recording studio and a signal accidentally went through that was so loud it dropped him to his knees. It didn't make him deaf, but it triggered some sort of rare syndrome/disease/malady called "acoustosis" (or something like that). To put it mildly, it has been a serious inconvenience to him ever since that day, ranging from mild discomfort to nausea and pain. He might have developed the symptoms anyways, but point being those headphones triggered them and they've never left.

On the plus side, I had my hearing checked last year and the doctor told me that "they" are working on a process that will regrow hair cells in the ears, which apparently will restore hearing that has been (up until now) permanently destroyed. That's hot.

Nicolson
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Nicolson » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Yikes...well, I'm just sort of actually getting back to listening to things at normal volume after a nasty ear infection in June that left me with a seriously messed up ear/balance problems and a bad case of tinnitus (that's just finally starting to subside.)

Trust me...I'm going to test everything with the headphones OFF first...set the volume limiter, run some tests to see how high it will spike when there's interference. I have no interest in blowing out my ear drum for good.

Thanks for the warnings.

Return to “Rants and Raves”