Canadian healthcare

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:25 pm

Chris G wrote:

Because you certainly never comment on US laws here on this board. No, that never happens.

Fair enough. I think my snarky comment is coloured by both elections and the worldwide economic collapse that is wreaking havoc on my confidence in everything these days. I should just avoid the news for the next two years.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:44 pm

miss carol wrote:
Fair enough. I think my snarky comment is coloured by both elections and the worldwide economic collapse that is wreaking havoc on my confidence in everything these days. I should just avoid the news for the next two years.

It is making everyone grouchy everywhere.

MF
GLONO Board Pimp

From health care to the economic crunch

Postby MF » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:09 pm

Changing the topic somewhat, This American Life recently did an entire episode on the current economic crisis that was simple enough for me (a guy who failed grade 10 math) to understand, yet thoroughly entertaining.

Everything a current events program should be. Really worth a listen: Another Frightening Show About the Economy.

MF
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby MF » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:19 pm

Dreamin wrote:I think her book was published in 2005, so it's likely that those numbers are getting old. You raise some really good questions that I wish I knew the answers to.

Dreamin' - I think it's really good to be concerned about our health care programs. So long as people cherish the sytem we have it will remain a challenge for politicians to muck it up in the name of progress or profits. I think there's a real moral side to health care - no one should lose their home or go bankrupt simply because they fell ill.

And if you want an even crazier policy debate, keep an eye on the upcoming talks on the national Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT)...the Premiers are meeting about it in November and looking for a solution by April. They've been fighting this one for 40 years, should be fascinating to see them even contemplate resolving it in five months. (amazing to think there are more interprovincial trade barriers and labour mobility barriers in this country than there are between Canada and most other countries).

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:06 pm

MF wrote:no one should lose their home or go bankrupt simply because they fell ill.

Wow - you guys really are pinkos!

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:35 pm

MF wrote:Dreamin' - I think it's really good to be concerned about our health care programs. So long as people cherish the sytem we have it will remain a challenge for politicians to muck it up in the name of progress or profits. I think there's a real moral side to health care - no one should lose their home or go bankrupt simply because they fell ill.

I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from (and I know GTSM and miss carol do, too). I appreciate what you've contributed to this discussion and your efforts to get us back on track.

I think a society can only be great if its citizens are able to live (and die) with dignity, and access to quality health care goes a long way toward making that dream a reality.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:48 pm

miss carol wrote:
We're big, so bring a solid pair of walking shoes: http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/w ... ult-en.asp

Thanks, Miss C. Very helpful link. I'm already checking craigslist in Toronto.

Is Shecky really going to take a powder on Uncle Sam? Stay tuned.

Chris G
Dotman

Re: From health care to the economic crunch

Postby Chris G » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:50 pm

MF wrote:Changing the topic somewhat, This American Life recently did an entire episode on the current economic crisis that was simple enough for me (a guy who failed grade 10 math) to understand, yet thoroughly entertaining.

Everything a current events program should be. Really worth a listen: Another Frightening Show About the Economy.

Well worth the hour investment of your time.
thanks

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:06 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:

Less scary than craigslist: http://www.viewit.ca/

It's got pictures and everything! Fun for the whole family

Rikki Lixx
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Rikki Lixx » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:12 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:

Your dum if you do. That country hasn't had a good band since Triumph. Honeymoon Suite maybe, but they mostly have gay bands.

Return to “Rants and Raves”