Someone please explain Bon Iver

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:30 pm

jonas wrote:
Nick Cave begs to differ!

So does Sharon King and the Dap Kings and Duffy! (Make fun of me all you want, but she put out a great pop record.)

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:24 pm

Am I going to be the only one who defends Bon Iver?

I got the album last year when he self-released it and I still love it today. It's an amazing fall/winter sadness album to me. And I love his voice. It's soulful and moving. It's a different take on the cliche sad singer-songwriter, and it sounds a fuck of a lot more authentic than all those other dudes. It was crafted from real loneliness and pain, and I can hear that in the music.

I liken it to an aural blanket. And now that it's cold out (and we're being hit with a shitload of snow in NJ), it's the perfect accompaniment, something to wrap yourselves in.

yomptepi
MOJO Freak

Postby yomptepi » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:39 pm

I am a bit baffled by the current crop of vocal bands. The Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver leave me a little confused and uninterested. I have tried, but I know that I have heard it all before. Bands like Bon Iver make me wonder if Rock and Roll is dead...

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:58 pm

I went to his website and listened to a track. He sounded like he was about to cry. Not for me. But I wouldn't call it rock and roll (So, yomptemp, it ain't dead just because Bon Iver wishes he was.) Not sure what I'd call it. Hmm. A little bit folk, a little bit emo...wait...I GOT IT: FEMO!

He's all yours Tom in NJ. And he sounds like he needs a friend.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:51 pm

Tom4 wrote:Am I going to be the only one who defends Bon Iver?

I got the album last year when he self-released it and I still love it today. It's an amazing fall/winter sadness album to me. And I love his voice. It's soulful and moving. It's a different take on the cliche sad singer-songwriter, and it sounds a fuck of a lot more authentic than all those other dudes. It was crafted from real loneliness and pain, and I can hear that in the music.

I liken it to an aural blanket. And now that it's cold out (and we're being hit with a shitload of snow in NJ), it's the perfect accompaniment, something to wrap yourselves in.

No way Tom, count me in for the Bon Iver fan club. I could give a shit about the cabin backstory, It's interesting, but he could have made this album while at a Furry convention and it wouldn't matter. The music is great, for once the Pitchforkians got it right (I will concede it may be overrated, but that's not Vernon's fault and has NOTHING to do with the music itself, obviously). Soulful and moving is the perfect description for this album, it is a phenomenal collection of songs.

By the way, I do disagree with everyone who counts this as a 2008 release. This and MGMT have gotten considerable mention in various top 10-25-50 lists, but both were originally released in '07. Bullshit I say!

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:31 am

i have to agree with those that think 2008 is a great year for music. there have been plenty of amazing records to come out this year. i was very pleasantly surprised at how good a lot of them were. especially from older bands that have been doing so hot over the years.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:21 pm

I refuse to pronounce "Bon Iver" as if it were french. This is America. I pronounce it like it like the first half of Bon Jovi and the word "sliver" (minus the S and L).

The name alone is so annoying that the guys ridiculous voice is like insult to injury. There's nothing more damn annoying than Americans running around with pretentious names.

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:I refuse to pronounce "Bon Iver" as if it were french. This is America. I pronounce it like it like the first half of Bon Jovi and the word "sliver" (minus the S and L).

It's supposed be French? Like eevay or something? I've been doing the "bon" in your manner and the "iver" like "fiver".

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:17 am

I believe it is said like Bone EE=ver. I read that it was taken from a greeting on Northern Exposure, but I cant verify that. However, since I am not a cheese eating surrender monkey, I say it like it's spelled. Don Fiver.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:07 am

"Good winter" in French is bon hiver. You pronounce the "n" and drop the "h," living you with the spelled out bastardization Bon Iver, which sounds like "bon ee-ver."

De riens.

Return to “Rants and Raves”