Best music of 2008

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Best music of 2008

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:24 pm

Hey, the official GloNo end-of-year lists are already up, but how 'bout the board creatures? What has Sven, Murph, Miss C, Hebrew Hammer, and everyone else been digging this year?

It was a slow music year for the Mixmaster, due to personal problems, but 2008 will be the year I finally discovered The Black Keys and Jay Reatard. Otherwise I embarked on a quest to determine the best band in the overplayed niche of classic rock. Turns out it's AC/DC.

How bout y'all?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:54 pm

Post them here. Why not?

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Best music of 2008

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:07 am

Mixmaster Shecky wrote: What has Sven been digging this year?

The Hold Steady--Craig Finn not a jew--only thing I purchased in 2008--I didn't even buy any old stuff of any kind.

Silver Jews new one--listened to free preview on myspace after GloNo called my attention to it. . Now I listen to free songs on myspace. Nothin' Stops a Party Barge!

From the GloNo stuff we forgot in 2008 I checked out that Zooey Deschanel thing Her andf Him or whatever I thought it was interesting. And I listened to the Jenny Lewis thing. Although i don't think I'm in the mood for any more chicks in the whole Neko Case. Lucinda Williams/Kasey Chambers vaginacana genre.

I'm interested in learning more about Louie Prima as a singer and performer. Until 2008 I only knew "Just A Gigolo". But I discovered a great live song on myspace called "My Dinga Won't Ding".
It's filled with double entendre and Louie sings it with a chick named Keely who may have been his wife...not sure. She's a hoot ...extremely whitebread which is a contrast to Louie's very ethnic italian persona. A quickapedia would answer all these questions but i'm too lazy right now, I've been watching some of his videos on youtube. I'd like to learn more about this lunatic in 2009.

If the future of the music industry was based on me it'd be in a whole heep of trouble. But The Bride of Sven is over 40 and buys things like Kid Rock and The Pussycat Dolls so who the frig knows?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:59 pm

Jake wrote:Post them here. Why not?

Well, I would but I think I bought two new CDs all year: Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings and Duffy. The few remaining ones were backcatalogue (The Kinks We Are the Village Green... reissue, The Clash Combat Rock used) and MOJO compilations.

This year I'm going to make a bigger effort to buy music, but I'm less inclined to listen to new stuff. Like my peers, I'm listening to "warm wooly sweater" music; indeed, Led Zeppelin seems to the comfort food of choice as is old R&B and soul. That said, I've ordered another 33 1/3 book: Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn and will dutifully buy the CD. We shall see how much progress I make in this project.

A nineteen-year-old kid at the store has been trying to recommend music to me. Ah youth...

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:51 pm

In 2008 there wasn't that one album that haunts you for months and months, but overall it was still a pretty good year for music.

Albums I really liked:
1. The Hold Steady, Stay Positive. They're channeling Springsteen somewhat, but still, it's clever lyrics sung to great 70's-flavored chops, and I enjoyed it even more than Boys and Girls in America.
2. Okkervil River, The Stand-Ins. Each OR release feels a little more precious than the previous one, but they're all still pretty good. His whiny vocals work for me, for some reason.
3. Fleet Foxes, Fleet Foxes. First people loved them, then there was a backlash, and then the backlash mellowed a little.
4. The Notwist, The Devil, You + Me. Moody krautrock with a little more drums and guitar than usual...it's not everyone's cup of tea.
5. Why?, Alopecia. This is a band that's stylistically all over the place, kind of TMBG meets Beck.
6. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig! This should maybe be first on the list...Nick Cave is freaking brilliant. I've been maybe overlistening to this lately, but I love it.

Overrated (for me, anyway):
1. Vampire Weekend, Vampire Weekend. I enjoyed the first couple of listens, but very little of this lightweight fare stuck to my ribs.
2. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago. I think I briefly convinced myself I liked this, but have never gone back to it. It's not exactly drivin'-around-listenin'-to music.

I also wish I had time to listen to the new TV on the Radio.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:07 pm

With all the "proud" single teenage welfare moms, glut of gadgets and general decline of western civilation, maybe more people will turn to the standards of the 40's, 50's and 60's to find some comfort among the madness. It's nice to remember a time when families had dads in them, when people could be clever with language instead of resorting to low class words like "bitch", and only veterans and criiminals had tattoos.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:56 pm

jonas wrote:1. The Hold Steady, Stay Positive. They're channeling Springsteen somewhat, but still, it's clever lyrics sung to great 70's-flavored chops, and I enjoyed it even more than Boys and Girls in America.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! Good, solid album. The title track is awesome.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:26 am

Attic Lights - "Friday Night Lights": I like power pop and Scottish people.
British Sea Power - "Do You Like Rock Music?": I like anthemic music and the willfully obscure.
Vampire Weekend - ST: I like new wave Ivy League dilettantes with a sense of melody.
Centro-matic/So. San Gabriel - "Dual Hawks": I like ambitious Texans with a penchant for tippling adult beverages.
Hayes Carll - "Trouble in Mind": I still like alt-country, for lack of a better term.

Note, I'm adding stuff as I remember it, but I don't think I got much more new music this past year.
Last edited by jaimoe0 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:24 pm

this year was a surprise comeback for some veterans of rock. my list:

1. r.e.m. - accelerate (honestly their first album that i have really dug into since out of time)

2. the heavy circles - the heayy circles (harper can play some mean guitar)
3. the b-52's - funplex
4. death cab for cutie - narrow stairs
5. coldplay - viva la vida or death and all his friends
6. the cure - 4:13 dream
7. tracy chapman - our bright future
8. chris walla - field manual
9. the raconteurs - consolers of the lonely
10. sigur ros - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:01 am

Here's ten-ish albums and songs I really enjoyed this year.
Vivian Girls-Vivian Girls
Vampire Weekend-Vampire Weekend
Dodos-Visiter
M83-Saturdays=Youth
Cut Copy-In Ghost Colours
Fleet Foxes-Fleet Foxes
Beach House-Devotion
Crystal Castles-Crystal Castles
Deerhunter-Microcastle/Weird Era Cont.
No Age-Nouns
Some other albums: Portishead, The Walkmen, Esau Mwamwaya and Radioclit, Flying Lotus, TV on the Radio, Why?

Songs:
No Age-Eraser
Crystal Castles-Courtship Dating
Fleet Foxes-White Winter Hymnal
Deerhunter-Nothing Ever Happened
Cut Copy-Hearts on fire and Strangers in the Wind
Empire of the Sun-Walking on a Dream
Women-Black Rice
Hercules and Love Affair-Blind
Sigur Ros-Gobbledigook
Department of Eagles-No One Does it Like You
Vampire Weekend-Walcott