The role of songs in advertising

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:18 pm

MF wrote:
Ah, don't kid yourself-companies wouldn't pay ad guys big bucks if their campaigns didn't work. Advertising & branding is a multi-billion dollar industry, devoted to convincing schlubs like us to buy Accuras, iPhones and Whoppers. And if, for example, Weezer sells to your target market, then you'll eventually hear 'Why Bother' as the soundtrack to a Prudential ad.

I've worked in and around advertising for a long-time and I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the guys with the cultivated stubble and black frame glasses.

Here's more on misguided advertising dollars: http://www.ethanzuckerman.com/blog/2009 ... mance-age/

Interesting, but web-based stuff is beside the point - they don't use indie songs. I've worked in the ad game for awhile, too, and I guarantee that clients don't hire agencies that can't point to success via sales. A slick campaign drives sales for a company as much as slick packaging sells detergent.

I'm saying major tv-based ad campaigns are still around because they work - and if an agency can't prove their past efforts worked, all the cultivated stubble in the world won't help them land, say, Apple as a client.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:23 pm

Songs in ads are great. It allows a new revenue stream for artists, who can use all the financial help they can get. When in doubt, I err on the side of the artists, not the side of the fans. Fans are fickle. Artists need to eat.

Rikki Lixx
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Rikki Lixx » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Chris G wrote:When in doubt, I err on the side of the artists, not the side of the fans. Fans are fickle. Artists need to eat.
Me too. All of them that died at The Station a few years ago had the nerve to sue Great White just because they wanted to entertain the fans. They should have left them alone and let them make the money.
BBQ
L8R

MF
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby MF » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:53 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:Interesting, but web-based stuff is beside the point - they don't use indie songs. I've worked in the ad game for awhile, too, and I guarantee that clients don't hire agencies that can't point to success via sales. A slick campaign drives sales for a company as much as slick packaging sells detergent.

I'm saying major tv-based ad campaigns are still around because they work - and if an agency can't prove their past efforts worked, all the cultivated stubble in the world won't help them land, say, Apple as a client.

I can come up with all sorts of metrics that point to a successful ad campaign, but bottom line is it's all one big guess (Garbage in=garbage out).

With the exception of those random outliers that make it big, I've never seen any real compelling evidence that an advert caused an actual spike in consumer activity.

My point in posting that link about on-line v. print advertising rates wasn't about music, it was to provide further evidence that ad agencies are great at claiming success, but the buyers of the ads, for the most part, have no idea if their latest print campaign or 30 second spot is whats really moving product.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:59 pm

Massingill --we're the douche folks.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:06 pm

Jamie: Lee: Hello I'm Jamie Lee Curtis.
Bill: And I'm Bill Kurtis. This Valentine's Day tell her she's yours forever.
Jamie: With a big ass container of Activa.

Jamie and Bill begin to tongue kiss wildly as "Brand New Lover" by Dead Or Alive comes on. Then fade to Acriva logo with music still under.

Return to “Rants and Raves”