GloNo Beats Joke to Death

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

GloNo Beats Joke to Death

Postby amighty » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:29 pm

Seriously, it was funny the first couple of times, and continues to be funny once in a while, but when the boards are all X Beats Y to Death, and it's like two weeks after X died, then it's a bit much.
Last edited by amighty on Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:28 pm

What about Space Shuttle Columbia jokes? Are those still funny? I've got a few good ones I've been waiting to try out.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:34 pm

I just ran a query and discovered some interesting facts.

- Over the past three months, 39 registered users have visited the message boards at least one time.

- Of these 39 users, only five originally registered after 2004 (and one of whom is Rikki Lixx -- no offense, bro!). 34 registered during or before 2004.

- A total of 31 message board topics were created in the past three months:

Mixmaster Shecky started 6
Jake 6
Sven Killer Robot Spacema 5
russ 2
amighty 2
D. Phillips 1
MF 1
Chris G 1
miss carol 1
worpswede 1
Sugarcubes Forever 1
Josh B. 1
jaimoe0 1
DJMurphy 1
Ad 1

I don't want to sound overdramatic, but I'm wondering whether or not the message boards are a valuable part of the site... They certainly add pageviews and google click-throughs, so this is not a financial question of value, but rather a community question of value.

I'm curious why most of the 40 or so message board regulars do not post more comments to the pieces we post on the main site? Even regulars opt to take the discussion back to the boards "to allow more for an argument." What is it about the boards that makes them seem better for that?

Are there subjects that make good message board posts that wouldn't make good GLONO posts?

Should we just give Shecky and Sven access to post to GLONO? That's not a bad idea -- we might want to do that anyway...

The big question is: How can we make the message board and the main site better? How can we best serve you, our loyal readers?

And the second question is: How can we attract more people to get the action moving again so we're all posting more than just obituaries?

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:43 pm

quasarwutwut wrote:What about Space Shuttle Columbia jokes? Are those still funny? I've got a few good ones I've been waiting to try out.

I think there should be more jokes about celebrities' dead children.

Wait, doesn that answer Jake's question, too?

About main site vs boards: I almost didn't post the Daptones/Rod Stewart thing cuz I figured Jake would get it eventually anyway.

But really I guess my lurkiness has to do with the fact that I'm starting to realize that often I don't have anything interesting to say.

I would guess the posts that get people into participating are the good old "let's argue" posts.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:46 pm

Oh, and ...

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:11 pm

Jake wrote:I'm curious why most of the 40 or so message board regulars do not post more comments to the pieces we post on the main site? Even regulars opt to take the discussion back to the boards "to allow more for an argument." What is it about the boards that makes them seem better for that?

The big question is: How can we make the message board and the main site better? How can we best serve you, our loyal readers?

And the second question is: How can we attract more people to get the action moving again so we're all posting more than just obituaries?

I notice that when I DO post to an actual article, the responses are slim to nill, and usually it's random fans of whatever band the article is about. The flow of comments there just don't read the way they do in the boards - you can't quote, you can't expand the area, you don't get your little icon - it's not as fun or easy to use. Then, there's no way to really tell how many comments are going on on the article (I know there's the "recent comments" area, but it doesn't show numbers and things get pushed into oblivion) or if there's much interest.

I just need some more free time to comment and more interesting things to say - maybe you could help me out with that? Also, an iPhone app would be cool.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:18 pm

I'm gonna second what Lep said, about not usually having anything interesting to add. You guys are like 'Net brothers and sisters to me, but sometimes (unfortunately, more often than not) I don't have a hell of a lot to add. I don't buy as many CDs as I should, and have this totally counter-productive attitude towards new music. "If I don't listen to it, I won't fall in love with it, therefore won't be bugging my wife to buy 4 new CDs a week..." Right? Pitiful, I know. I've become a square at 35... sigh. Pardon me while I reach for my revolver...

But I still check the boards every day. Faithfully.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:02 pm

There are too many people in their 30's and 40's on the message boards. The millenials(20-somethings) think we're a bunch of corny old geezers. You need to get more young people on here. Conflict puts asses in the seats. Wouldn't it be great if there was a 24 year old chick who called me an asshole all the time and could back it up? Ain't goin' be easy to find these tech savvy, me-first bastards though. Damn near impossible. Even harder to get them to stick around. They are a fickle bunch.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:00 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:There are too many people in their 30's and 40's on the message boards. The millenials(20-somethings) think we're a bunch of corny old geezers. You need to get more young people on here.
Fuck that shit. We need people with passion on here. Check out the Hoffman boards. It's full of posters older than most people here and it rolls constantly. It's because they're passionate about the topics and a bunch of assholes.
Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:Conflict puts asses in the seats.
Agreed. Look at the Metal Sludge boards. It's all conflict and a topic is nearly pushed to page two in less than a day. It's all flames, "Paul Stanley is gay" posts, and back n forth bickering about what band is the best. If Jake got stressed by the Mojo Freaks, he'd shoot himself as a Sludge moderator.
Rikki Lixx wrote:Wouldn't it be great if there was a 24 year old chick who called me an asshole all the time and could back it up?
No. I think it would be great if you wrote something about the first time you heard Paul DiAnno-era Maiden.
Murphy wrote:I'm gonna second what Lep said, about not usually having anything interesting to add.
Totally. There's less passion on the boards and therefore less need to reply. I mean, how are you going to reply to Lux dying? It's pretty much going to all be "that sucks," so why not write something up about what Lux meant to you or the last Cramps show you saw, or maybe even the time when you meant to see the Cramps but got too drunk to drive to the gig. Fuck, I'd rather read about that on the front page than page down through endless "that sucks" and "RIP Lux." He's dead. It's a bummer. We get it. Tell us what he meant to you when he was alive, man!
Jake wrote:Should we just give Shecky and Sven access to post to GLONO?
Yep. And Murph. And Carol. And Lep. And anyone else that has an infrequently updated blog. Not slagging on anyone's lack of internets activity, but everyone came here for the same reason, so why not devote a few hours a month to throw out a few lines about what you like, dislike, or what was playing the night you popped your cherry. I love shit like that, and I bet I'm not alone.
As for me, I've just run out of gas here. Like Murph and Lep, I gots nothin to add cuz there's little activity here and I've shot my load on some long winded review or whatever. It was passion that brought me to the boards originally after lurking for a while. That passion is now taken a different form. I know time is tight, but fuckin' a, I've got two kids, a full time gig, a social life, etc, but I devote some time to throwing a few things up on Glono because 1.)Jake pays me a five-spot per review before "editorial facility fees" and "spell check charges" and 2.)it's therapeutic.
Jake wrote:Even regulars opt to take the discussion back to the boards "to allow more for an argument." What is it about the boards that makes them seem better for that?
What amighty said. Plus, we don't want bullies like Chris G or Sugarcubes on the front page because they'll just chase away all the advertisers with their incessant hatred of women and Asians. This is a money-making venture, I assume.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:03 pm

DJMurphy wrote:I'm gonna second what Lep said, about not usually having anything interesting to add. You guys are like 'Net brothers and sisters to me, but sometimes (unfortunately, more often than not) I don't have a hell of a lot to add. I don't buy as many CDs as I should, and have this totally counter-productive attitude towards new music. "If I don't listen to it, I won't fall in love with it, therefore won't be bugging my wife to buy 4 new CDs a week..." Right? Pitiful, I know. I've become a square at 35... sigh. Pardon me while I reach for my revolver...

But I still check the boards every day. Faithfully.

Holy crap. Every single word you wrote in that applies to me as well. You are my soul mate, and I'm coming over for dinner.

And I second what Amighty says about it being more fun to post on the boards, what with the "replies" and the "avatars" and the "hoo-haws" and "whatzits". Feels more like a discussion, which I dig. I never really expect people to respond to stuff I write if I comment on an article, whereas on the boards if no one responds then I wind up crying softly to myself.

I also second what Sven says above, about the chronic posters being in the highly coveted 30-40 demographic. Not that that's a Bad thing, but it probably doesn't lend itself to as many flame wars as if we had a lot of young Nickleback fans telling us how boring we are.

I don't know.. it's like you (Jake Elias Samson Brown) do such a good job of putting out new information/rumors/highlights/etc about daily music happenings, that That is why I'm logged on all the time: to get up to speed on what's out there. Like everyone else is saying, I rarely have something terribly interesting to add to the discussion, as I don't consider myself much of an expert on anything (unless the topic of masturbation comes up, because heeyyyo! this guy! am I right? ladies?) and I guess part of getting older for me is the realization that it doesn't matter if I tell you that your favorite band sucks, because that's not going to change your opinion. I'm more interested in all the news you supply, which is ample, and that makes me more of a lurker. I do thoroughly enjoy making stupid comments though, but that hardly adds to the impact of the site.

One quick idea I had that might attract more people (and forgive me if this isn't doable as I'm not a web guy), but you know how you're always pointing to new streaming mp3s? What if you had a built in Glono radio player that was part of the main page, where people could choose from a menu of always changing songs (picked by Glono staff and/or trusted members) and hear awesome music while reading the articles? The lure in getting in new viewers would be that those songs would have to be searchable on the web (and legal for you to post), so that if I was like, "Boy, I really want to hear that new Andrew Bird" and then I google 'free Andrew Bird listen stream steal music poppycock' it will link to Glono, where it is currently playing that song. Now that I say it out loud there's probably a landslide of reasons why that won't work, but if it's possible it might make millions of children happy. Or at least this one.

Return to “Rants and Raves”