GloNo Beats Joke to Death

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:45 pm

jonas wrote:I still haven't figured out wtf Jake wants from this site in the first place.

I want a community of outspoken music fans who enjoy ranting and raving about the shit they feel strongly about. Essentially, an online version of getting drunk with my pals and coming up with ridiculous theories about what's important and what's not.

E.g., this weekend in Northern Michigan at our annual retreat, Loftus posited that Limp Bizkit (who is getting back together, apparently) is "the Buddy Holly of rock-rap," and we both agreed that in retrospect "Nookie" kinda owns. Sab attempted to argue while PLP just shook his head at the silliness of the whole conversation. DP joined in from Portland via Skype before I arrived. The meatballs, which I helped make (Sab's recipe), were undeniably awesome.

I get that kind of face-to-face insanity once or maybe twice/three times a year. And that's frankly not enough. So I hope to get some more of that around here.

But what I want from this site is only part of the equation. What do you want from this site?

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:24 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:
Jake wants to be Lester Bangs. I thought you all knew that.

Now that I do not believe...there could be only one.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:39 pm

Jake wrote:I want a community of outspoken music fans who enjoy ranting and raving about the shit they feel strongly about. Essentially, an online version of getting drunk with my pals and coming up with ridiculous theories about what's important and what's not.

E.g., this weekend in Northern Michigan at our annual retreat, Loftus posited that Limp Bizkit (who is getting back together, apparently) is "the Buddy Holly of rock-rap," and we both agreed that in retrospect "Nookie" kinda owns. Sab attempted to argue while PLP just shook his head at the silliness of the whole conversation. DP joined in from Portland via Skype before I arrived. The meatballs, which I helped make (Sab's recipe), were undeniably awesome.

I get that kind of face-to-face insanity once or maybe twice/three times a year. And that's frankly not enough. So I hope to get some more of that around here.

I like that. I think this site maybe used to be a little more like that, which is why I came around more often...but it seems like people have been getting crankier and terser at the same time, and the boards have felt less conversational and more zing-y. Am I misreading that?

But what I want from this site is only part of the equation. What do you want from this site?[/quote]

Pretty much what you describe. I still recall a thread called (something like) "What Every Glono Poster Should Own" that was amazing. I also recall someone here turning my mind around on Dylan.

So yeah. What you said.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:08 am

We need to all get drunk at the same time and post the nonsense that comes to mind.

*Other substances will be accepted in select circumstances.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:29 am

D. Phillips wrote:We need to all get drunk at the same time and post the nonsense that comes to mind.

*Other substances will be accepted in select circumstances.

were you drunk when you posted this?

I'm down with giving it a try. somebody come up with a date and time and I'm there.....or...ur...I'm here and probably drunk anyway....so I'll log in and give it a shot.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:51 am

I'm a little late to the game here, but I'll weigh in.

This talk about the geezers chasing away the kids is somewhat accurate. I'm 25, started visiting the site when I was about 18, started writing for the site when I was 19. I don't think I've embodied the horrendous traits that are hoist upon people my age here on the board (at least not to a terrible degree). While I could care less what someone on a message board thinks of me or my age (because it ain't nothin' but a number, after all), it does seem like some people are mighty dismissive (not directly towards me, just in general). Yeah, part of my music collection is hip, buzzworthy indie music. Forgive me. I used to be able to write about it on the site, in message boards or on the main site "proper" because some of it MEANS SOMETHING TO ME, which is the point of the site. But I feel it's kind of pointless when a sizable portion of the membership is ignoring what I say because I'm younger than y'all or I happen to really like a record that Pitchfork recently liked as well. (Or maybe ou're ignoring me because you're not buying music much anymore and can't provide feedback).

Part of the appeal of joining the site initially was the fact that this demographic (economically, socially, musically) lines up with myself more like a Venn diagram than direct overlap. I felt we could learn stuff from each other (and I've learned a lot about music, politics, philosophy, etc from you guys). But I feel since some of you have adopted the same holier-than-thou stance you criticize hipsters for. Not all, again, but enough.

The problem is not the format, so the "Oh no! The kids are flocking to Twitter!" logic is flawed. I've never used Twitter, know many kids my age who haven't either. But there are some steps into Web 3.0 that GloNo could take to attract new users who would be interested in the message board. Embedded player would be good. Podcast. Video content. Etc.

I do think the biggest point to make has been made already -- at some point, this board has philosophically closed its doors to new members. In the process, the members it has have had life get in the way of allowing them to sustain the board on their own (this has been the case with me, as well, with a hectic job and graduate school). And here we are. Mostly, this board reminds me of this dialogue from High Fidelity:

Louis: Yeah, seriously, you're totally elitist. You feel like the unappreciated scholars, so you shit onto people who know lesser than you.
Rob, Barry, Dick: No!
Louis: Which is everybody...
Rob, Barry, Dick: Yeah...
Louis: That's so sad.

Which is the same attitude you rail against in people 10-20 years younger than you.

Again, apologies for the generalizations. It's just easier/nicer to lump you all together than single out the meanies. You know who you are, anyway.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:56 am

Tom4 wrote:I used to be able to write about it on the site, in message boards or on the main site "proper" because some of it MEANS SOMETHING TO ME, which is the point of the site. But I feel it's kind of pointless when a sizable portion of the membership is ignoring what I say because I'm younger than y'all or I happen to really like a record that Pitchfork recently liked as well. (Or maybe ou're ignoring me because you're not buying music much anymore and can't provide feedback).

I'm wondering about our expectations now. We assume people are ignoring us if they're not giving feedback. That might not be the case. I know that on the main site, our pageviews are up while our comment count is down. More people are reading, but fewer people are participating. So maybe we just need to alter our expectations re: feedback.

At the same time, it seems like there are fewer and fewer "consensus" albums that everybody checks out, listens to, and constructs an opinion on. I know that personally I immediately blow off a lot of trendy "internet" bands. But if something seems interesting or somehow more credible, I'll seek it out. If I like it, I like it, and you'll all probably hear about it. If not, I'll usually keep my mouth shut unless I have a strong opinion about it. The problem with a lot of music is that there's just not that much to say about it. Not that it sucks, or even that it's just okay, but it's good enough so...well, so what?

I try very hard to fight the fogeyism that grows in all of us as we get older. I'm open to new stuff. And I listen to a lot of stuff.

I guess I've been pretty much oblivious to the air of fogeyism that several of you pointed out exists here. I wish you'd call us out on it at the time. And I'm not talking about in some trollish Lurker01 way that attempts to equate not respecting Mariah fucking Carey (who's actually had a run of pretty great singles over the past few years) with hating new music.

Fight the fogeyists. We do not want to end up like the Baby Boomers!

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:16 pm

I have a similar conversation with a lot of my mid-to-late-30s friends who are (slightly) embarrassed about living in the past as far as their musical tastes are concerned.

But generally, I find that people who really care about music in the broad sense are not bound to a time period. I think that if you find yourself stuck on the period of your teens or twenties, then what you're really appreciating is something extra-musical.

As I will reveal again with this comment, I'm a (relatively) old guy: As I teen, I listened to as much "old" music (Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Smokey Robinson, Sam and Dave, Dylan, Beatles, Byrds, Velvets) as well as contemporary stuff (Elvis C, Clash, pre-MTV Robert Palmer, Graham Parker, P-Funk, pre-headband Bruce, Southside Johnny). And stuff that at the time spanned old and contemporary (Allen Toussaint, Neil Young).

A lot of that I still listen to, but a lot of it I've left by the wayside.

Over the last few years, I've still been finding new-to-me old stuff or stuff I didn't pay attention to back when (James Booker, Lowell George's Little Feat, Mandrill) as well as new, which at this point doesn't mean necessarily from the last six months, ha ha (Feist, Cat Power, Outkast, Drive-By Truckers, Long Blondes, Pete and Carl, Peaches).

I don't really know many people in my meat life who have a similar attitude to music. I'm happy to find them here even if we can't sit around listening to music together.

So thanks.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:28 pm

Jake wrote:I listen to a lot of stuff.

last.fm wrote:Your musical compatibility with elvissinatra is Very High

My brother! Ha! I guess I shouldn't be surprised...

I'm ArtGel, but I haven't been listening on the computer much since I've been shacked up. We've been using her DVD player through a cheap radio/amp box since her cheap boombox type thing stopped reading CDs.

BandyLou
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BandyLou » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:46 pm

Keep the boards. Quality, not quantity. That's what I like about Glono's boards.

Return to “Rants and Raves”