GloNo Beats Joke to Death

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:16 pm

Jake wrote:I guess I've been pretty much oblivious to the air of fogeyism that several of you pointed out exists here. I wish you'd call us out on it at the time. And I'm not talking about in some trollish Lurker01 way that attempts to equate not respecting Mariah fucking Carey (who's actually had a run of pretty great singles over the past few years) with hating new music.

I don't think any of the site creators have that sense of fogeyism. When you don't get into the new "internet" bands, I don't take it as "Jake is an age-ist!" I simply see it as too many bands with too much hype and too little time to listen to them all, so you've developed a filter. While I think the filter has caused you to miss some good bands maybe, I understand it. We don't have time to keep up with everything, especially when new "must-hear" bands emerge on a daily basis. I don't expect that out of GloNo. I expect that out of Pitchfork, Stereogum, etc.

It's more an attitude I see on the message board.

Jake wrote:I'm wondering about our expectations now. We assume people are ignoring us if they're not giving feedback. That might not be the case. I know that on the main site, our pageviews are up while our comment count is down. More people are reading, but fewer people are participating. So maybe we just need to alter our expectations re: feedback.

I agree with this on the context of the comments on reviews/interviews/news blurbs that are posted on the main site. But on a message board, feedback is everything. So if I post on how much I totally fucking love Okkervil River right now, and no one responds, the participation is killed, and the message board is killed. Feedback is integral for a message board to survive, which is the topic this thread has turned to, right?

Strongly agree with Lep re: sticking to one era of music. Then it's not about the music, it's about the nostalgia. Which I totally get -- there's some music that I listen to primarily out of nostalgia. But that's one small part of my music-listening experience.

So yeah. I still love the site. But when I hear an album I love, whether it's a new hip indie one or the Nigeria 70 comp which I just bought, I turn to Facebook, etc. Not because of my age, or because of the format, but because the people there (of all ages) are more likely to engage me, give it a listen and offer feedback, or reply in kind with suggestions of their own.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:30 pm

Word.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:10 pm

One quick note on fogeyism. When I catch myself engaging in it, I realize that what I'm dismissing isn't my party, so to speak. I had my initial fun, it's the kids turn now. I'm not going to try to be mutton dressed as lamb; that's just unseemly. There's tons of music I didn't listen to twenty years a go that I'm excited about embracing now.

I also suggest you take a look at the 1968 film Wild in the Streets, if only for the final scene where the young, hip, now US president is called an "old man" by a child. Yes, its a little obvious, but worth remembering.

I could have probably said this more articulately, but I have to get back to stroking egos. sigh.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:22 pm

As to comments: the nature of communication online is changing drastically and there are actually Forrester Research studies on what that means for online publishers. One finding is that overall, comments are dropping because people have other avenues of communication. Don't forget, enabling comments on blogs in the old days required a hack. Five or six years ago comments were the only way some people could communicate their opinions on topics. Now there are countless channels that any numbskull can implement (FaceBOok updates, Twitter, etc.)

On the boards: You can't force community. All we at GLONO can do is provide a place to gather and try to foster some conversations. If people seriously don't have anything to say, then that's the end of the conversation. But like you guys, Jake and I have different lives today than we did when GLONO launched eight years ago and we have to juggle and prioritize what can do with GLONO. WE can always post to the main site all we want, but the conversations that made GLONO so fun for us are fewer and fewer so is it worth the time and effort to try to keep talking? That's the question.

PS: I talk to Jake on IM every day but you all don't get to see the genius of those conversations often.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:31 pm

We're all way into music here, and while we seem to be older than the average internet music site's lurkers, what some are calling fogeyism I would call perspective. The young 'uns refuse to believe, or can't imagine, that the hip bands of today are drawing so much from the past, and the bands from the music of the last couple of generations has a lot to offer, and while the fans may seem old, the music is still vital and the best stuff is timeless.

What I've noticed about these boards is the way that most of the regulars embrace the classics and are way up on the new bands. We go on about the Walkmen, Ryan Adams, Peaches, Franz Ferdinand, The White Stripes, Wolfmother, The Dutchess and the Duke, Daft Punk, Kanye, Spoon, Tapes 'n Tapes, White Denim, LCD Soundsystem, etc., as much as we collectively go on about Neil Young, The Stones, and The Velvets. There seems to be no shortage of opinions, both good and bad, about new music and old.

I will agree that as an old fogey, I have to cut kids some slack - it isn't my party, and a lot of the old music I like is NOT timeless and I appreciate it as a piece of the mosaic of past. I can't be expected to fully understand the appeal and vitality of music that is meant for people who are in a different stage of their life, just as there's no way they can immerse themselves in the late 80's and early 90's to understand what PE means to me.

If you're a passionate upstart, then, along with a thick skin, bring a little knowledge with you, and I think you'll get one of the better discussions around right here.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:39 pm

I think it's worth mentioning that regardless of how active or inactive our boards are at any given time, we are certainly a better Looking group of posters then any other site. Those kids over at Camp Forkawanda may have more money and better connections, but we all know that we're getting the girl in the end. And isn't That what music is all about?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:55 pm

Wait, you're getting girls in the "end?" How do you talk them into that?

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:52 pm

Why it's easy my good man! Thanks to our modern world's increasingly complex value system, many god-fearing teenage girls believe that they can maintain their virginity and please their extremely understanding boyfriends by simply giving up the booty*. Everybody is happy, and Jesus is none the wiser! It's a win-win situation!

*For anyone who thinks I'm making this up, it's an actual phenomenon. In my day we used to get around this 'virginity' problem with handjobs. Apparently the ante has been upped. A lot. I would put a link to a news site with a story on this (because there are stories on this) but I'm at work and probably shouldn't Google "christian teen anal sex virginity trend". I'm all work-savvy like that.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:25 pm

Jesus, this thread has really taken a beating...

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:32 pm

Lurker made me post that.

Return to “Rants and Raves”