GloNo Beats Joke to Death

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:49 pm

This thread took an entirely new direction, in large part with Tom’s post.
Tom4 wrote:I feel it's kind of pointless when a sizable portion of the membership is ignoring what I say because I'm younger than y'all or I happen to really like a record that Pitchfork recently liked as well.

I think I understand some of what you’re saying, particularly in the worry about sounding like you may be sounding repetitive with other reviewers and/or sites. I think Jake chastised me once when I felt that way, effectively saying for me to ignore what everyone else was writing and write what you feel. I still have times when I’ll visit a site after I’ve written a review, notice that we have raised similar points and feel weird about it, but you know what, I can sleep well knowing that what I wrote was based on what I felt about it at the time. If I dig something, I know that others may not view it the same way, but I can count on Jake to throw up an MP3 or something so that you can take my shit with a real grain of salt: a song or two from the real thing that lets you know if you’d feel the same way that I did.
Tom4 wrote:I feel since some of you have adopted the same holier-than-thou stance you criticize hipsters for. Not all, again, but enough…this board has philosophically closed its doors to new members. In the process, the members it has have had life get in the way of allowing them to sustain the board on their own.

I get the last line, but not the first. How do most of you talk to your immediate brethren about music? In my circle, there’s a ton of ribbing, holier than thou posturing, and good-natured arguing. Lurker will love that I name-checked him here, but the issue wasn’t his love of Mariah…it was this attitude that some of us dismissed her because she had some huge hits recently and I’ll be damned if I can recall any of them. The association was that I/we had gotten to old and that she shouldn’t be dismissed as a result. My argument was that if she had a hit that remained on the top of the charts for as long as it did, doesn’t one think that I’d at least hear it and be sick of it? The big picture is how fragmented everything is. I don’t listen to radio, MTV doesn’t play videos, there’s so many television options now, the act of listening to music has become so isolated and personalized…it has nothing to do with my age that I haven’t heard these songs! The chart system is irrelevant! So there’s the argument, and what a discussion we could have had! Instead, Lurker takes the low road, calls everyone elitist and old, so there’s no discussion, no good-natured ribbing, just mean-spirited bullshit that seems to have prevented you from adding your two cents.
I refuse to believe that the door is closed philosophically, new members would certainly help me filter out the hype with the real shit. I would hate to think that we have to censor ourselves to the point where we’re no longer allowed to give someone a hard time for liking Mariah, April Wine, or Limp Bizkit (jesus!) while understanding that you can’t just start calling someone an asshole without bringing up some good, valid points as to why you’re doing so.
As one of the oldest members of this board, I try very hard not to fall into that category of sticking with things that are familiar. I hope you don’t feel that my comments/reviews/whatever are based in some blinder view of the past with no interest in what’s happening today. Personally, I want to know what my high school heroes and colligate favorites are doing now, and I sure as hell want to know where the next Ramones are going to be. That’s why I need you to help. I may not share your feelings about Fleet Foxes or whatever, but I can appreciate your opinion and want to be able to argue with you (with respect!) about why I don’t feel the same way.
One final thing, I’ve stopped giving a shit about the number of comments on a review. Jake likes to stir the pot sometimes, and I’m game for any debate, but if no one says jack shit, then it doesn’t bother me as much as it seems to bother other regular posters. Besides, the only replies my reviews get anyway are usually the work of a Sven character

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:01 pm

The only people I know personally who I can talk to about music are guys I've known from the station. And I rarely even see them anymore; we work all the time or live across the globe. Pretty much all our conversations are on Facebook. That's life. Other than that, it's here. Once in a blue moon, I discuss music with a couple of work colleagues. That's it. Oh, and the grey beard who runs Mike's Music on the Danforth.

April Wine? What the fuck's with that?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 pm

Tom4 wrote:So if I post on how much I totally fucking love Okkervil River right now, and no one responds, the participation is killed, and the message board is killed.

By the way, in the defense of the silent Glo-Nerds, the topic in question was posted three weeks before the official release date of the album. I know you youngsters have got access to the Napsters and the YouTubes and all that, but a lot of us old-timers (minus those who receive promos) have to wait until the release date to form an opinion on a brand new record...

Be patient with us: our bones are brittle and we can't move that fast anymore...

Kristy
GLONO Team Member

Postby Kristy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:39 pm

Whew! I got the right password. The reason I don't post on the boards is I can never remember my password (and I've asked Jake for it so many times I'm embarrassed to bother him for it). Talk about lame, I know.

So, just to add another voice from the very-old-fogey end of things: I don't have anything to add to most discussions. I suspect I would like Okkervil River from what I've read but I've only listened to one of Jake's free MP3's of them. I also know I'd love M. Ward, but same thing. I'm hopelessly out of touch. I don't know Broken Social Scene from My Morning Jacket. But I like reading the exchanges on the boards, so please, keep at it! I like how honest people are and I like the occasional insult-fest that is usually reined in with humor. I just like the vibe, have from the beginning, and I hope it keeps going forever.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:44 pm

I heard about M. Ward here, went to see him live, and now I am converted. So Kristy, do not wait: get Post-War NOW and thank me later.

See? Glono works!

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:15 pm

Jake wrote:By the way, in the defense of the silent Glo-Nerds, the topic in question was posted three weeks before the official release date of the album. I know you youngsters have got access to the Napsters and the YouTubes and all that, but a lot of us old-timers (minus those who receive promos) have to wait until the release date to form an opinion on a brand new record...

And hey, some poster did respond - twice!

Kristy
GLONO Team Member

Postby Kristy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:28 pm

Awesome, Miss Carol. I'll take that recommendation.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:04 pm

Not that you need it but I'll second that reco. He was great at the Doug Fir last weekend.

This weekend: Andrew Bird. Watch for the review...

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:16 pm

M. Ward is totally great.

I love you all.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:35 am

quasarwutwut wrote:Everybody is happy, and Jesus is none the wiser! It's a win-win situation!

That Jesus dude - he's such a kvetch.

Return to “Rants and Raves”