What's Worth Your Hard-Earned Dough?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:21 pm

i paid E75 to see antony and his johnsons play next may. remarkably much, considering this act isn't even that big. it 'd better be good.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:01 pm

I just paid $7.99 for the MP3 version of Michael Nesmith & The First National Band's Magnetic South. It's awesome.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/02QOJwaPtxg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed>

Papa Nez is the best.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:04 pm

miss carol wrote: I'm also starting on an Middle Eastern-ish run. Following my head and heart, it seems. Lovely dynamics and arrangements generally.

It might be worth your checking out Tinariwen's myspace page; it's a cool band from Mali (I realize North Africa isn't quite the middle east, but some of the influences are similar as far as I can tell).

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:19 am

I plan to see Leonard Cohen when he comes back to play Radio City Music Hall. I tried to get tickets to see him at the Beacon last month, but it sold out instantly. Scalped tickets were going for over $1000 each on eBay. Then a few days after the Beacon show they announced the complete US tour dates, and he's coming back to NYC to play Radio City later in the tour. I was pretty crestfallen that I wasn't able to see the Beacon show, so I was very enthusiastic to learn he would be coming back. I'd rather see him at Radio City than at the Beacon anyway.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:26 am

jonas wrote:
It might be worth your checking out Tinariwen's myspace page; it's a cool band from Mali (I realize North Africa isn't quite the middle east, but some of the influences are similar as far as I can tell).

Will do. I listened to that Silk Road comp via Amazon, so I'm going to see if I can find that around town. (A good excuse as any to come out of hibernation for a day, although at -25 C windchill, it may take more than that!)

I picked up used copies of Rachid Taha's Best of along with a Verve comp of Charlie Parker. So good...

As far as Leonard Cohen tickets are concerned, Ticketmaster has become ensared in what appears to be its own online scalping racket. I would really like to see the show in Hamilton, but I'm not sure I can afford it. Sigh.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:37 pm

miss carol wrote:As far as Leonard Cohen tickets are concerned, Ticketmaster has become ensared in what appears to be its own online scalping racket. I would really like to see the show in Hamilton, but I'm not sure I can afford it. Sigh.

Likewise. It's at least $125 a piece for tickets down here. Even I could afford it, I'd be all worried his set would be nothing but his late 80's, drum machine material and I would feel totally ripped off.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:48 pm

2 My Bloody Valentine tickets coming to $100.69... That's $35 per ticket plus an ass reaming from Ticketmaster, but fuck it... It's MBV...

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:25 pm

i picked up the soundtrack to watchmen. aside from the forgettable my chemical romance the rest of the soundtrack is actually very weird with some odd choices. from bob dylan to leonard cohen to nina simone to philip glass. it's very good, but very odd.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:12 am

I might be in London when Van Morrison performs Astral Weeks. So I looked up tickets, and quickly decided to pass when they were:

Loggia £ 200.00
2nd Tier £ 110.00
Stalls £ 110.00
Rear Arena £ 110.00
Restricted View Circle £ 50.00.

Now, I would consider 50 quid, but for "restricted view circle"? Not bloody likely.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:05 pm

Two Cow Garage played Saturday night at a tiny bar in San Jose. Cover charge: Zip! Now that's the nice price! I did buy two CDs and a t-shirt. Don't want those boys to starve.

Return to “Rants and Raves”