What's Worth Your Hard-Earned Dough?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:29 pm

neil young - fork in the road (cd/dvd)

surprising, this is a good album. there's only one track that isn't sticking with me. i'll admit that i came late to the game with neil young. most of what i've listened to has been his recent stuff and the recent greatest hits. so out of the recent stuff that i've heard this is only behind prairie wind. so far i'm digging it, but that could change in a week or two. we'll see.

Rikki Lixx
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Rikki Lixx » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:30 pm

Sounds good. Myte have to check it out. Is it more rock or is he still doing that hippie shit. Was Neil Young the guy from Vietnam? He kinda looks like it.
LOL!
-L8R

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:14 am

miss carol wrote:Was Rauhaus in the band? He's amazing!

He was. Between his pedal steel and Kelly Hogan's backing vocals, I had goosebumps pretty much all the way through "I Wish I Was the Moon."

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:00 am

steve-o wrote:
He was. Between his pedal steel and Kelly Hogan's backing vocals, I had goosebumps pretty much all the way through "I Wish I Was the Moon."

I don't know. The wife and I saw Neko in Raleigh the night after steve-o did, and I thought she kind of mailed it in. I had seen her a couple of times before in the clubs. The crowds were rowdy, and so was Neko. She knocked 'em dead both times.

Tuesday night, she was in a large concert hall. The audience sat subdued in their plush seats (with the exception of a very loud person behind us professing her undying lust for The Redheaded One).

I was hoping she would take advantage of the near-perfect acoustics to really pin our ears back on her vocal showcase songs (like "I Wish I Was the Moon" and "Deep Red Bells"). Instead, she rushed through them and clipped the dynamics and phrasing for the most part.

Yes, Rauhaus and the band were amazing. I even enjoyed Crooked Finger, though I'm not much for the alt-country thing these days. Their multi-instrumentalist on drums and keyboards supplied a nifty groove to a mostly dark, acoustic set.

As for Neko, I hope the move to the larger venues is generating some well-deserved cash for her and the band at this point in her career. I really mean that.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:21 am

Little Timmy wrote:I don't know. The wife and I saw Neko in Raleigh the night after steve-o did, and I thought she kind of mailed it in. I had seen her a couple of times before in the clubs. The crowds were rowdy, and so was Neko. She knocked 'em dead both times.

It was a little of column A, a little of column B. The acoustics at this venue were pretty good, but it wasn't so huge that it just got washed out in echo. (I'm trying to think of a NC club that is equivalent- Cat's Cradle? The Orange Peel?)

They did kind of hit a plateau by the halfway point, and admittedly it seemed like they didn't maintain the same energy as in the beginning. And it went a little longer than it should have. But the onstage banter was entertaining, and they contended really well with some completely inexcusable, amateur-hour-on-the-part-of-the-venue feedback from the microphones. So all in all, I think they did pretty well. But like I said, I almost feel guilty that towards the end I just wanted to go get a beer and shoot the crap with my friends in the back instead of being upfront hanging onto every note.

I saw her at a smaller club a few years ago, and it was definitely rowdier and more intense. Maybe that was because of the Sadies not being her backing band this time, who knows.

Crooked Fingers was great. I don't know who Bachman was using as his backup singer/bassist, but her voice was amazing.

Kristy
GLONO Team Member

Postby Kristy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:18 pm

I finally, a few weeks ago, shelled out for M. Ward's Post-War and I loooove the first song so fanatically I've had trouble getting into the rest of the cd. But there are lots of stellar songs.

The one thing I don't instantly capitulate to is the mood of exalted, post-party rhapsodic-ness. I don't know why but that atmosphere doesn't quite jibe with me. I relate better to a downbeat atmosphere, I guess. Or a more fussy, studio-crafted exaltedness like Joni Mitchell.

Still, it's a great cd and now I can give you my thanks, Miss Carol!

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Kristy wrote:Still, it's a great cd and now I can give you my thanks, Miss Carol!

Anytime, lady! Glad you like it.

I'm actually kind of excited to see Neko Case next weekend. Perhaps you caught her mid tour or she was just having a bad night? Hope so. She seems to really like Toronto and she's in a respectably sized room (a church no less) so my fingers are crossed.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:17 pm

elvis costello - mighty like a rose (2002 2 disc deluxe edition)
observe and report original soundtrack
bob mould - life and times
suzanne vega - in concert

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:18 am

miss carol wrote:
I'm actually kind of excited to see Neko Case next weekend. Perhaps you caught her mid tour or she was just having a bad night? Hope so. She seems to really like Toronto and she's in a respectably sized room (a church no less) so my fingers are crossed.

I mentioned the same thing to a neighbor about not getting into Neko's Raleigh show. She said that it wasn't just me, evidently. Lots of people expressed the same sentiment in a local blog.

Unfortunately, there just isn't the same kind of energy in a concert hall designed for orchestral performances as you usually get in a club. The audience gets a little too mellow, and that feeds back on the performers. I just wish she had slowed it down a little and used the acoustics to showcase her voice and the virtuosity of her band.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:46 am

the dukes of stratosphear - 25 o'clock
the dukes of stratosphear - psonic psunsport

they were both just released tuesday on cd for the first time with extra tracks and a nice remastered sound. the packaging is really cool too. got observe and report in the other day as well. bought it from amazon as that was the only place that carried it. with good reason. the cd is manufactured on demand using cd-r recordable media. is this a new practice or is it something fairly common? i don't buy much from amazon.

Return to “Rants and Raves”