What's Worth Your Hard-Earned Dough?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:36 pm

Bought a Husky 65-piece tool set that's proving awfully useful. Socket wrenches of both standards, lots of different screwdriver heads (including one perfect for prying open my iPod), and a nice little case.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:07 pm

I refuse to use metric tools. Only communists and homosexuals use metric tools...

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:40 pm

Well, I went to Neko with a cold so that may have influenced my experience. She wasn't her usual chatty self till the so-called encore (more like "second half," really). The sound was great, band tight, the usual. I got the impression she's trying to do a bigger show now, including a stage set with projected short films. Sadly, I found them a little distracting at first as they had a running narrative unlike those shown near the end, which were simply ambient (for lack of a better word).

I bought Middle Cyclone at the show for $20. I listened to it once, including 20 mintues of friggen crickets. What's with that? Ambient sure, but it runs for more than half an hour! No, no, no that's cheating, Miss Case. A few minutes sure. Better yet, intersperse the sound throughout the record (a la Michelle Shocked's Fireside Tapes or whatever it's called). That's would be creative and thematic. But half an hour a the end? Unless one of you has more patience than I and listened all the way through and there's an opus at the end that I'm missing...

The total tab (show and CD) was about $62. Worth it because I'm a fan, but I wish I'd brought more Ricola.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:42 pm

I'm quite liking Joel Plaskett's new triple-album <Three>. Sure, triple albums are an ananchronism in this day & age, but the songs are cool.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:15 pm

miss carol wrote:I bought Middle Cyclone at the show for $20. I listened to it once, including 20 mintues of friggen crickets. What's with that? Ambient sure, but it runs for more than half an hour! No, no, no that's cheating, Miss Case. A few minutes sure. Better yet, intersperse the sound throughout the record (a la Michelle Shocked's Fireside Tapes or whatever it's called). That's would be creative and thematic. But half an hour a the end? Unless one of you has more patience than I and listened all the way through and there's an opus at the end that I'm missing...

There is no magic opus at the end. It makes awesome background noise when you aren't paying attention...otherwise, it's a waste of CD space.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:33 pm

Jill Sobule - California Years
Scott Matthew - Scott Matthew (self titled cd)

Bought both these recently.
Both EXCELLENT!
Worth my $$$$$.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:02 pm

Amazon blowout!

Mostly for these two at a good price:
Allen Toussaint - "The Bright Mississippi" (with Marc Ribot and Don Byron)
Irma Thomas - "Simply Grand" (as in piano, with lots of great New Orleans pianists)

Also:
Marc Ribot - "Shrek" and "Party Intellectuals"
Peter Doherty - "Grace/Wastelands"

and movies
Warren Beatty's "Reds"
Cassavetes box with "Shadows," "Faces," "A Woman Under the Influence," "The Killing of a Chinese Bookie" and "Opening Night"

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Sun May 03, 2009 2:30 am

bob dylan - together through life
star trek the original series season 1 on blu-ray

blackhearts08

Postby blackhearts08 » Thu May 07, 2009 6:35 pm

I would spend money on a new Guitar! A vintage Fendi... O ya!

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sat May 09, 2009 11:42 pm

I spent $10 to watch Amanda Palmer and current drama students at her former high school put on a play based around NMH's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. Not a bad use of a sawbuck.

Return to “Rants and Raves”