Joaquin Phoenix

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Joaquin Phoenix

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:54 pm

Ha ha ha ha ha

Have I missed a thread, or has the train wreak that is Joaquin Phoenix not been adequately covered in here?

I pulled this from his Dikipedia entry:

With a Grammy award for the 'Walk the Line soundtrack, Joaquin announced he would make the natural next-step transition from country-music impersonation movie soundtrack singer to unfortunate white person rapper.

He is now one of only a few entertainers who could be said to be simultaneously peers with Paul Hogan as well as Canadian dancehall sensation Snow.

A behind-the-scenes non-fiction film is currently being shot about Joaquin's musical effort. It is still unclear if this dickumentary will see a wide release and whether anyone besides Summer, Rain, and Liberty Phoenix will give a shit.

In February 2008, Phoenix appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman and gave a mostly unresponsive interview that some have likened to comedian Andy Kaufman. Historians note that if Phoenix were attempting the brilliant, subversive performance art of Kaufman, there are probably more effective places to start than simply being rude to David Letterman.

In regards to questions about whether or not his hip-hop work was a hoax, he responded: " This is not a joke. Might I be ridiculous? Might my career in music be laughable? Yeah, that's possible, but that's certainly not my intention," which proves not that it is not a hoax, but instead only that he is the kind of elitist dick who begins sentences with the word "might."

And of course, there's his Letterman appearance last week.

Word of advice, don't piss of Letterman. That segment was like vintage Dave from 1985. The old guy still has it. I wish he'd spend more time ripping on his guests.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:23 pm

I thought that Letterman appearance was genius--for both of them.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:37 pm

D. Phillips wrote:I thought that Letterman appearance was genius--for both of them.

I haven't seen Dave that good since he left NBC.

I can't figure Phoenix out. Either he's on Smack, or he's doing a schtick. His reactions and mannerisms seem a lot like someone on drugs.

Just look at how much more lucid he was several years ago on Letterman.

Kristy
GLONO Team Member

Postby Kristy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:36 pm

He seemed too out of it for it to be a stunt. I think he's on drugs and it's scary. Doesn't what happened to his brother function as a warning (or is it more like a beacon)?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:05 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion something else is at play here.

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:47 am

I won't rule out the possibility of schtick, but I smell something burnin' and it ain't the toast. Notice how as the interview progressed he because more agitated. That's a sure sign of some kind of high wearing off. I've smoked enough dope to know that aint' the devil's weed he's one. It's something stronger. What, I don't know.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Re: Joaquin Phoenix

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:26 am

He is now one of only a few entertainers who could be said to be simultaneously peers with Paul Hogan as well as Canadian dancehall sensation Snow.

And now I have "Informer" stuck in my head. Thanks for that. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I'm pretty sure his Letterman appearance was intended to be uncomfortable. He seems like the sort of <i>artiste</i> that would welcome the attention and notoriety that comes from simultaneously being high-profile and weird. As opposed to, say, Farrah Fawcett, who was obviously baked out of her gourd.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:12 am

I don't know, he didn't seem fucked up to me. I think he was playing a role of a regular guy responding to a celebrity interview. He didn't really do anything outrageous, he just didn't do the interview-show shtick, and he used the audience's and especially Paul's laughter when he replied yes or no to yes-or-no questions. If he looked ridiculous in the context, it was because the context was ridiculous. And I think he had made a choice to do the interview that way - look at the last seconds where he takes the sunglasses off to say goodbye to David.

But sometimes I have theories that are not widely shared...

F'rinstance, in "Two Lovers," I thought that the love story with Paltrow was meant to show a manic episode of the bipolar Phoenix character (and that she probably had a similar illness). If he'd just taken his meds, there would have been no movie. I've discussed with friends and surfed the Web but have yet to find anyone who agrees with me.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:08 pm

Lep wrote: F'rinstance, in "Two Lovers," I thought that the love story with Paltrow was meant to show a manic episode of the bipolar Phoenix character (and that she probably had a similar illness). If he'd just taken his meds, there would have been no movie. I've discussed with friends and surfed the Web but have yet to find anyone who agrees with me.

You have now because I thought the same thing. There was no real relationship between them, just the outcome of manic actions.

BTW, I really dug this movie couldn't for the life of me tell you why.

Back to Letterman: I juts think it was a performance. I think this whole "leaving movies to be a rapper" deal is a performance. I don't know if it's tied to another project (like a movie or something) but I just get the impression it's not at all what it seems. And I love it.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:36 pm

D. Phillips wrote:BTW, I really dug this movie couldn't for the life of me tell you why.

I liked it, too, but the "well told" story aspect of it was distancing. Is there no one to follow in Cassavetes footsteps? He would really have made the mania *and* the love real. It was missing the there-but-for-grace-of-God-go-I element.

Return to “Rants and Raves”