Joaquin Phoenix

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:29 am

I think he and bro-in-law Casey Affleck are filming some sort of mockumentary about the machinery of building stars up just to watch them fall, so I'm pretty sure it was a performance. There seemed like a couple moments on Letterman where he was struggling to stay "in character."

I just wish he'd have busted some rhymes, that would have been awesome.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:16 pm

Finally watched this. Funny. Not sure if it's a character or if he's just being brutally honest. Whatever it is, I like it. I think Dave handled it great, but I throroughly enjoyed the gruffness. The whole "how the fuck do you EXPECT me to answer that?" vibe. A related YouTube clip shows him behaving quite similarly with the AP a couple months prior to the Letterman taping.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:27 am

D. Phillips wrote:I thought that Letterman appearance was genius--for both of them.

agreed.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:50 pm

Alias
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Alias » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:48 pm

I firmly believe Joaquin is going to be my second husband, he was suppose to be my first, but he rejected my proposal and kindly asked I stop sending him "fan mail." My heart was crushed, but now I understand why.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:57 pm

Alias wrote:I firmly believe Joaquin is going to be my second husband, he was suppose to be my first, but he rejected my proposal and kindly asked I stop sending him "fan mail." My heart was crushed, but now I understand why.

Holy shit. He did the same damn thing to me. What a fucking asshole!

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:08 pm

Alias wrote:I firmly believe Joaquin is going to be my second husband, he was suppose to be my first, but he rejected my proposal and kindly asked I stop sending him "fan mail." My heart was crushed, but now I understand why.

Yer back. How was Europe or whatever. Sven's run ramshot around here since you've been gone. Please resume verbally harassing him immediately.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:31 pm

I think he's trying to out-Borat Sasha Baron Cohen. I think it's satire that nobody is supposed to know is satire. Either that or he is high as a kite.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:56 am

I'm repeating myself, but he didn't look high in the latest video either. I think he knows exactly what he's doing. I don't know what he's doing, but I do think he's purposefully doing it.

And no, he doesn't have the talent of Andy Kaufman, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate his effort. I think all celebrities should model themselves on Andy.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:24 am

Lep wrote:I'm repeating myself, but he didn't look high in the latest video either. I think he knows exactly what he's doing. I don't know what he's doing, but I do think he's purposefully doing it.

And no, he doesn't have the talent of Andy Kaufman, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate his effort. I think all celebrities should model themselves on Andy.

I don't think it's possible to pull off Kaufman's schtick anymore. At least not for any length of time. The closest I've seen anybody get is what Sasha Baron Cohen has done.

Times are drastically different. The twitterblogs, Youtubes, Intertubes and Boobtubes is drenched in the antics of Jackass, Borat and cell phone videos from anybody and everybody who happens to be on BART when the pigs decide to cap some dude while hold him spread eagle on the subway platform.

If Pheonix is doing a performance here, it isn't just that he's no Andy Kaufman. He's stuck in a world where stars can't get away with that shit anymore. Because it's instantly reported, ridiculed and pilloried. Everybody is in on the joke. And at the same time, it doesn't feel genuine or original.

If I want to see a celebritard go mental, there are plenty of them losing their shit right before our eyes. No comedians needed.

Return to “Rants and Raves”