Where's the revolution?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Where's the revolution?

Postby O! » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:13 am

In the 50's there was Rock 'N' Roll. In the 60's it got Psychedelic. In the 70's it morphed into Disco and Punk. In the 80's it further fragmented into alternative, hip hop, metal and many other genres. The 90's saw further fragmentation and Techno.

Where's the revolution now?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:02 am

Perhaps the continued fragmentation dilutes the revolutionary potential of any given movement. There's nothing to revolt against because there's no single dominant force in the culture. There's no cultural authority. No MTV, no Casey Kasem, no Rolling Stone, no Dick Clark, etc., to monolithically say what is cool and what is not. If kids don't like one scene, there's a million other scenes to latch on to.

What is there to revolt against? Why start a revoltion when you can just walk away and do something else? What's the point of tearing something down when it has no more cultural import than any of the other thousands of niches?

I'm not convinced this is such a terrible thing.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:08 pm

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. Ah well, I'll clip from Hipster and paste here: I'd like to suggest that the next music revolution is happening abroad: Cuba or India or even the Middle East (Iran?) Somewhere where taboos still exist, where there is a sense of urgency. North America is done, in my opinion.

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:14 pm

Jake wrote:Perhaps the continued fragmentation dilutes the revolutionary potential of any given movement. There's nothing to revolt against because there's no single dominant force in the culture. There's no cultural authority. No MTV, no Casey Kasem, no Rolling Stone, no Dick Clark, etc., to monolithically say what is cool and what is not.

There's also no common ground. No shared reference point from ppl. who listen to different kinds of music. For example, in the '90's, every punk kid I knew could recite every line from "The Chronic".

Then you have the irrelevance of terrestrial radio, the preaching to the choir of satellite...it doesn't just affect revolution. it affects the most vital artist of out time.

"Weird" Al Yankovic. Seriously, I heard "White and Nerdy" ten times before I half remembered the Chingy song he was spoofing. This shit did not happen with "bedrock Anthem". yabba yabba yabba yabba doo now.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:27 pm

stickman45 wrote:Seriously, I heard "White and Nerdy" ten times before I half remembered the Chingy song he was spoofing.

Chamillionaire, no? Which re-emphasizes your point.

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:34 pm

Exactly.

I didn't even fuck that up on purpose.

I'm just so in my bubble, with my head up my own self-reflective ass that I couldn't keep that straight.

and, i think most ppl. are.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:03 pm

Jake wrote:I'm not convinced this is such a terrible thing.

Why not? I was looking forward to watching my kids test the idea of conformity, particularly how it related to music. It's kind of a bummer that it won't happen and I'm not convinced that what it's been replaced with is as exciting as what music offered the youth in those aforementioned decades.
I wanted to be scared of teenagers. Now I just think they're a bunch of pussies.

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:04 pm

You know, that's exactly what I was afraid of. I've heard about female rock bands in Saudi Arabia, but the revolution is in what they are doing (actions) rather than sonically. While it is bittersweet that there is no galvinizing cultural force to rail against, there is some comfort in the sense that music is probably more honest (I.e. no agenda).

Beware, though, monolithic cultural entities are in the making: Clear Channel is bidding to buy Ticketmaster (sorry there's no link - on the iPod Touch - I'll find one shortly); newspapers are failing; cable companies are selling their net neutrality. There might be something to rail against soon.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:32 pm

O! wrote:Clear Channel is bidding to buy Ticketmaster (sorry there's no link - on the iPod Touch - I'll find one shortly)

How about this one?

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:40 pm

worpswede wrote:I wanted to be scared of teenagers. Now I just think they're a bunch of pussies.

A lot of teenagers I see on TV do that thing where they throw their hands in the air and walk toward their opponent with their chin up. Somebody should tell them that there's a 40-something guy in Iowa who is not scared and will pop them in the mouth if they don't get their goddamn hands in front of their face to protect themselves.

Return to “Rants and Raves”