Where's the revolution?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:36 pm

steve-o wrote:When did Glono go live? 2002? Think about what the internet, and music on the internet looked like back then. Long live the revolution.

February 6, 2001. I remember what a pain in the ass it was to even watch video online back then. And there was no way to easily upload video. Remember Real Audio? Liquid Audio? Yuck.

Nevertheless, that's all technology/business/communication/distribution revolution. Not musical revolution.

I can imagine the technology leading to musical innovation (online collaboration, etc.), but I'm not convinced I'm really hearing anything revolutionary yet. At least not anything that rises to the level to really affect the culture at large... Who knows?

I suppose "ringtone rap" is fairly revolutionary (i.e., tailoring music specifically to sound good in 15-second snippets over terrible phone speakers). But even that is niche...

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Re: Where's the revolution?

Postby O! » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:42 pm

I agree with Miss Carol - that's all business. The internet (and social networking) is a delivery method. I'm asking about sonic revolution, something that blows your mind with the way it sounds.

Let's take Radiohead's In Rainbows. What blew my mind was that they said name your own price, not the music. The music is good, but Dark Side of The Moon or Loveless it ain't.

I realize that the internet is a revolution (I am a web designer, by the way - oh, and ten years ago I was that snotty record store clerk, so piss off, gringo ). Social networking is the latest catchfire phenomenon. What does that mean for music? I think the answer is really, not a whole lot. Except when it comes to how we get music.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey wrote:The revolution is over. Has been for some time now. Now there is a niche for everybody, and everbody for a niche.

I think this is the answer to my question, sadly (which also echoes Jake's first post on this thread). "Thanks, guys," he said, spiraling into a black, depressive abyss . . .

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:00 pm

Jake wrote:I can imagine the technology leading to musical innovation (online collaboration, etc.), but I'm not convinced I'm really hearing anything revolutionary yet. At least not anything that rises to the level to really affect the culture at large... Who knows?

There's the big distinction- the Grey Album I thought was pretty revolutionary, but not a culture-wide revolution on the scale of the Beatles. Who knows, maybe with all the fractured and fine-tuned options people have these days that's not possible anymore. I won't speculate on that. Does it matter?

I kind of see both sides of the issue on this, but I'm not inclined to see it as a regression. I can appreciate the impact of a band like the Beatles, in that probably in 200 years people will view them the same way we view Mozart (seriously), and that I don't think we have something like that now. But on the other hand, what have we really lost by having countless options for great music as opposed to "Rock music" being synonymous with maybe ten different bands? And all those things I mentioned have helped make this happen. Different does not necessarily mean bad, just different.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Re: Where's the revolution?

Postby steve-o » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:06 pm

O! wrote:The music is good, but Dark Side of The Moon or Loveless it ain't.

So it isn't popularity that you're gauging it on? In that case, Mogwai blows my mind, both live and on disc. Calexico blows my mind. Hey, Hail to the Thief blew my mind on the level of Loveless, so how far back is your timeline?

Don't spend so much time philosophizing about it all that you miss lots of great chances to hear something truly mind-blowing, and once in a while revolutionary.

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:34 am

I guess I didn't define a timeline, so since 2000 I guess. I've heard a few things from Calexico, so I definitely will check them out. Mogwai was playing the last time I went into Everyday Music (oops, just gave away my true location) and I remember liking it. Thanks, Steve-o, those are some good directions. Myxamatosis totally blows my mind (primal, insane fuzz bass line in common time with lyrics about succumbing to a rodent disease - excellent).

Does it matter if there are widespread cultural revolutions? Probably not, but they make for some interesting times. I am kind of out of touch these days (my musical meanderings have led me back to the 50s-70s and acid-folk, jazz, world music, etc.). What is mind blowing out there these days, that's new and fresh? I used to be in the know working for Tower Records as a buyer so I'd hear just about everything. That was now a decade ago.

Perhaps the true revolution is all these random mini-revolutions happening. Or, that could be the beginning of the descent into chaos.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:53 am

steve-o--recommend me some calexico!

This is the dimbulb thing I always say on this topic, but the revolution will be technological; I'm thinking something much more along the lines of a video game than anything purely musical.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:41 pm

Perhaps we should stop looking for a revolution. Look to hard and you'll miss it.

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:38 am

That's why I asked where it was, so I could be lazy and not actually have to look for it!

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:01 am

Whiners, all.

Man, there has never been a better time to be a music fan.

I have access to more music, old and new, than I would have ever been able to know existed. If you're not happy with the music you're hearing today, it's your fault for not finding it. You've never had it so good.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:27 pm

Who's whining?

Return to “Rants and Raves”