Who Is Quintessential Rock Singer?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:01 pm

worpswede wrote:Can you add a chapter about the interludes when Jake banned him?

Yes, it could be called "The Lost Hours."

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:04 pm

A quintessential rock singer keeps you riveted the whole show. All due respect, I don't think, for example, either Robert Plant or Roger Daltrey are all that riveting. They come from bands where the guitar player and drummer are the guys to watch.

I saw a 10,000 maniacs show back in the day (the day in 1987 that they were a famous band). I didn't mind the Maniacs going into the show. Thanks to Natalie's frumpy pouting and frequent crowd chastising--for NOISE--about as QUINTESSENTIALLY UN-ROCK as it fucking EVER gets--I never listened to them after that.

(Conversely, I love G5AM even more after that post).

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:48 pm

Barabajagal wrote:I might have to pick Elvis, which is obvious, but he is sort of the prototype. He had that dual-voice thing--the sort of rich, body-voice velvety croon, and then that snarly, twangy head voice, too. Pretty much became the blueprint for rock.

Either Elvis, or Jim Morrison. Jagger a distant third.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:48 pm

deevolution has nothing to do with it, it's all about entering the age of aquarius. you're obviously not all ready for it.

my vote also goes to freddie mercury; not only does he have the best voice, he's also got the moves, the moustache, and leather. (edit; for even more reasons, see page 5).
i agree natalie merchant would definately make the list, if she grew a beard.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:50 pm

stickman45 wrote:And, at the risk of incurring Murph's wrath, there is Jim Morrison. Like him or not, it is a rock'n'roll voice.

Wookie

Postby Wookie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:03 pm

There's some pretty good arguments here for Mick Jagger, Robert Plant, and Freddie Mercury, but they're not the Quintessential Rock Singer. Iggy Pop is.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Re: Who Is Quintessential Rock Singer?

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:58 pm

Jake wrote:Or George Micheal. I nominate George Michael! Oh wait, what were we talking about?

This from the guy who has watched every season of <i>American Idol</i>!

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:00 am

Wookie wrote:There's some pretty good arguments here for Mick Jagger, Robert Plant, and Freddie Mercury, but they're not the Quintessential Rock Singer. Iggy Pop is.

Nice choice! If he'd died twenty years ago, and appealed a little more to the ladies, then I'd be inclined to agree with you.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: Who Is Quintessential Rock Singer?

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:03 am

Greenwood The Sock Monkey wrote:This from the guy who has watched every season of <i>American Idol</i>!

I love American Idol. And Wham!

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:32 am

Wow, a guy steps away from the forum for a few days, crap starts a'flyin, and now we're all trying to pick ONE QUINTESSENTIAL ROCK SINGER??? And with such weird strictures, that "Oh, he can't be considered, because he's bluesy", or "he's too R&B".

Bah. Why don't we try to figure out while we're at it who's the quintessential world leader? Or the quintessential religion of the world? Or better yet, how about who is the quintessential most attractive man or woman IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD EVER THROUGHOUT HISTORY?? (It's me, by the way...)

Get my point yet? Not to piss on anyone's cornflakes if you're really thinking that any sort of consensus could ever be reached, but this mick in Chicago thinks the premise of one quintessential rock singer is a little... out there.

That said, if you have to pick one, it would be Mick Jagger, bluesy or not. Jim Morrison is a bad Sinatra; listen to "Touch Me", and tell me I'm wrong. And sorry G5a, Natalie Merchant is about as "rock and roll" as Martha Stewart. Don't get me wrong; I actually own some 10,000 Maniacs CDs, agree with your points that the group wasn't the same without Natalie, think it was tragic that the first single that the reconstituted Maniacs came up with was a Roxy Music cover... but even though I'm sure Natalie's a nice person and all that, she sure as shit ain't a quintessential rock 'n roll singer.

Return to “Rants and Raves”