Who Is Quintessential Rock Singer?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:37 am

Chris G wrote:I thought Iggy Pop was disqualified because the cliquey club doesn't like that he was close with Morrison and was inspired to form The Stooges after hearing The Doors.

Sheesh, Chris.

First of all, I think it's only been DJMurphy who's been adamantly anti-Jim. Personally, I like a lot of Doors songs. "Peace Frog," etc. And I think Jim was a very good singer and a great frontman for a rock band. Charismatic, incendiary, sexual, dangerous, captivating, awesome hair, great pants, whatever.

Secondly, just because someone awesome was influenced by someone does not necessarily mean the influencer is equally awesome as the influencee. Elvis was influenced by the Ink Spots, but to my ears the Ink Spots are pretty boring.

I think Iggy Pop is the exact opposite of Jim Morrison. Bizarro Jim. Whereas Jim's lyrics try to sound far smarter than he actually was, Iggy tried to sound way dumber. Jim's band tried to pull off Bach while the Stooges kept it straight and simple. To each his own, of course.

But just because someone likes Iggy Pop does not mean they need to like (or even respect) Jim Morrison. I think Jim was a pretentious twat, and an absoultey terrible poet, but I respect what he brought to rock and roll, and I definitely like his band's songs a lot more than anything by, say, Arthur Lee and Love (except for "7 and 7 Is," which is perfect).

But I think accusations of cliquism are counterproductive to any critical discussion. In any group, with any issue, there is always the chance the someone will be the odd man out. Who cares? There are very few people in this forum who like American Idol. I do. And I'll defend it, like you defend the Doors. That, to me, is fun. And it's what this is all about. Take a stand and defend your position. That's what preposterous topics like this are for!

I probably won't convince anybody that American Idol is great who hasn't already seen the light, but if anybody wants to have that discussion I'll keep fucking trying...

In other words: it's not personal. Your love of the Doors is probably your least annoying quality. :)

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:15 pm

Not sure if this matters, but chalk up one more vote for Mick.

I asked my office mate (who is not a Glono poster, so that's why I'm not sure if it matters) who he thought the quintessential rock singer was. His unbiased, man-on-the-street response (not being privvy to the discussion, except for my vehemence about Robert Smith - which came after his response):

"Mick Jagger or Robert Plant. Mick's got more swagger."

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:14 am

Iggy has recently disqualified himself.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8YqPehV--A&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:16 pm

Lep wrote:Iggy has recently disqualified himself.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8YqPehV--A&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Oh, the humanity!!!

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:23 pm

Jake wrote:First of all, I think it's only been DJMurphy who's been adamantly anti-Jim. Personally, I like a lot of Doors songs. "Peace Frog," etc. And I think Jim was a very good singer and a great frontman for a rock band. Charismatic, incendiary, sexual, dangerous, captivating, awesome hair, great pants, whatever.

I have to come out as "anti-Jim" on this particular question.

The Doors were influential, yeah. But they are by no means in the same league as The Beatles, The Stones or even Led Zepplin. On another note, I would argue that they get too much credit in lieu of Morrison's death. They simply didn't no enough in my opinion to deserve quite the level of reverence that the band is often afforded. Oliver Stone be damned.

Echo and the Bunnymen was influenced by The Doors, but I wouldn't claim that Ian McCulloch is a reason that Jim Morrison is THE quintessential rock singer.

Keep your focus people! We're talking about THE quintessential rock singer. There are plenty of singers who COULD be quintessential, and who may be for a particular genre or clique within rock music.

But this thread is about the ONE dude/broad who stands above all others.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:02 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

What's that? There can be only one? I seem to recall that being the tagline for a popular movie in the eighties...

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mqhHgT4mvRQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:34 pm

Hey, I don't hate this.

Wookie

Postby Wookie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:34 pm

Fair 'nuff. Again, at least he waited until he got old when he started getting musically high-falootin'.

I wasn't going to post this, because the thread seemed like it was dying a natural death, but I think we (and Carrie Brownstein) might have misinterpreted the question. We're clearly arguing under the assumption that "quintessential rock singer" = "quintessential rock frontman", but based on the original asker's answer (John Lennon), maybe the question was who has the quintessential rock 'n' roll voice, regardless of on- or off-stage antics.

So, ripping the scab of this thread, Gerry Roslie is the quintessential rock singer. For <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20S_kwNb4rg">this</a> reason, if nothing else.

[Ducks, flees]

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:46 pm

Wookie wrote:So, ripping the scab of this thread, Gerry Roslie is the quintessential rock singer.

Ding ding ding. I think we have a winner!

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:33 am

I could totally be down with Gerry Roslie, though my vote for Iggy was predominantly because of his voice. Even that French video, when he's just talking... Man, what a voice.

But I'll get behind Gerry Roslie.

Return to “Rants and Raves”