Who Is Quintessential Rock Singer?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:30 am

Wookie wrote:
So, ripping the scab of this thread, Gerry Roslie is the quintessential rock singer. For <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20S_kwNb4rg">this</a> reason, if nothing else.

I can live with that.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:52 am

You know what's great about the Sonics, too? Unlike most American "garage" bands, they pre-date the British Invasion. Which, to me anyway, makes them (and Roslie in particular) even more awesome.

I mean, think about it, how many great rock and roll singers were not influenced by Mick Jagger? Not many.

Roslie was inspired by Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard: "I tended to like the people who went right over the top and just laid it all on the line without holding back. That impressed me."

The Sonics rule.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:48 pm

miss carol wrote:Hey, I don't hate this.

Neither do I, actually. Could be fun.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Lep wrote:Neither do I, actually. Could be fun.

Don't tell me we're all going to start agreeing on things. I didn't sign up for this.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Jake wrote:You know what's great about the Sonics, too? Unlike most American "garage" bands, they pre-date the British Invasion. Which, to me anyway, makes them (and Roslie in particular) even more awesome.

I mean, think about it, how many great rock and roll singers were not influenced by Mick Jagger? Not many.

Roslie was inspired by Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard: "I tended to like the people who went right over the top and just laid it all on the line without holding back. That impressed me."

The Sonics rule.

Oh hell yes. I can't believe it took so long for them to surface in this discussion. Nice call, Wookie.

BandyLou
GLONO Board Playa

preliminaires

Postby BandyLou » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:48 pm

I'm not sure how a whole album of New Orleans jazz as movie of a book soundtrack is going to go, but I am interested in hearing Iggy branch out musically. We could have another Tom Waits on our hands, Iggy has the credibility, the punk pedigree... with creative 'musical direction,' deconstructing guitar rock... oh boy. Iggy makes his 'swordfishtrombones?'

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:11 pm

The idea of Iggy doing this project seems wrong. He's got no business in that neck of the woods and the one sample that I heard there tells me he ain't got the chops to pull it off.
Am I missing something or am I still pissed at him for The Weirdness?
Seriously. I wanted to smack him when he said that shit about dumb guitars, particularly since Asheton's passed.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:07 am

BandyLou wrote:Iggy makes his 'swordfishtrombones?'

worpswede wrote:Asheton's passed.

Depends on whether he has a Kathleen Brennan. Ig's always needed a good collaborator. The bros A in the Stooges, Bowie for the Idiot and Lust. I think he needs to be pushed.

And the "King of the Dogs" in the video is both promising - it's not too respectful of old-timey jazz - and worrying - it is a bit too slick.

I think Iggy may be friendly with old Tom. At least they had good chemistry in "Coffee and Cigarettes." I wonder if the Waits couple might have been another inspiration?

BandyLou
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BandyLou » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:57 pm

Over the past few days, I keep thinking about this video. Is Iggy pulling a fast one? Sitting by the pool with a little white fluffy dog, making an album 'for the french?' Sick of derelicts with guitars?
The musical switchup I could believe... but this video? He didn't have to sit by the pool, or pick up the white dog.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:32 pm

BandyLou wrote:Over the past few days, I keep thinking about this video. Is Iggy pulling a fast one? Sitting by the pool with a little white fluffy dog, making an album 'for the french?' Sick of derelicts with guitars?
The musical switchup I could believe... but this video? He didn't have to sit by the pool, or pick up the white dog.

Are you certain that's even a white dog?

Return to “Rants and Raves”