Who Is Quintessential Rock Singer?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:20 pm

The category is too broad and not broad enough, really. How can you compare Roy Orbison (a great voice) to Dylan (among the best snears)? And is Sam Cooke, probably my vote for best singer of popular music, a rock and roll singer?

Screamin' Jay is a good vote, but I'm still thinking.

For the distaff side, I'd go with Wanda Jackson over Patti Smith. I'd definitely put Janice in Soul/RnB and say that her rockish elements were her weakest; Betty Davis is funkier and more rock and roll. I think that woman in the Detroit Cobras is a great singer, but I guess they're kinda retro.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:33 pm

Lep wrote:I think that woman in the Detroit Cobras is a great singer
Triple that call, she's fucking phenomenal. And as an added bonus appears to be a genuinely filthy human being, which I believe is another important aspect of "the ultimate rock singer".

And BandyLou, I see your point. In this context Lennon is out. And [sigh] Steven Tyler is in. This is hard. You know what's easier? Greatest rock drummer. You've got like 5 universally agreed upon choices. You know what's harder? Greatest rock keyboard player. I'm going to go out on a not-very-controversial limb and say there are very few keyboard players who rock.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:04 pm

quasarwutwut wrote:You know what's harder? Greatest rock keyboard player. I'm going to go out on a not-very-controversial limb and say there are very few keyboard players who rock.

Oh, come on now. Stirring up a pot of the old dookie-stew, are we?

Bernie Worrell
Nicky Hopkins
Billy Preston
Greg Allman
Rick Wakeman
Ray Manzarek
Pigpen
Steve Winwood
Jan Hammer
Billy Powell
Geddy Lee
Jools Holland
and last but not least, Jerry Lee Lewis

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:08 pm

You realize you just typed "Jan Hammer".

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:21 pm

I think Daltrey is a good choice. I don' think this is "favorite" singer, it's "Quintessential" rock singer.

I would mention David Lee Roth. Not the best voice, but he is rock. It's like a Plant impression, removing the blues influence. If you want to spilt hairs between "blues" and "rock".

And, at the risk of incurring Murph's wrath, there is Jim Morrison. Like him or not, it is a rock'n'roll voice.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:25 pm

stickman45 wrote:I would mention David Lee Roth. Not the best voice, but he is rock.

Word. But I disagree: it is the best voice. His voice is totally awesome. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Hoooooooooooooooo!

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:34 pm

quasarwutwut wrote:You realize you just typed "Jan Hammer".

You don't think Miami Vice rocked?

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:59 pm

Howlin' Pelle Almqvist

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:05 pm

or maybe Ian Svenonius?
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mDP4cWwv0Go&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed>

Argue with THAT

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 pm

Jake wrote:Word. But I disagree: it is the best voice. His voice is totally awesome. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Hoooooooooooooooo!

Everyone forgets that the guy would take the stage ribbon dancing.

While I would never question his rock cred (VH is an iconic band), I can't seriously put David Lee Roth in the same league as Mick Jagger, if only for crap like that.

Return to “Rants and Raves”