Who Is Quintessential Rock Singer?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

DelbertDee

Quinty Rock Singer

Postby DelbertDee » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:27 pm

I'm surprised that this needed to be asked . It's The King; Elvis Presley. End of Story. He's followed by Chuck Berry and the rest of the rock singers are a bit further back off the pace. Extra special mention must be given though to Van Morrison (with Them), Jerry Lee Lewis , Jim Morrison, Gram Parsons, Johnny Rotten, Iggy, Joe Strummer, Jimi Hendrix and a host of others..

Go Johnny Go

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:52 am

Van Morrison is not a "rock" singer.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:00 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:Van Morrison is not a "rock" singer.

No more than Gram Parsons, anyway.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:59 pm

So, why is Elvis the embodiment of the rock singer mythos? Personally, I'd pick Chuck Berry over Elvis any day.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:34 pm

Chris G wrote:

Either Elvis, or Jim Morrison. Jagger a distant third.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:42 am

Yr right. The leather pants seal it...

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:43 am

Not above Elvis, but certainly above Morrison. Leather, sure, but also stage moves copped by both McCartney and Lux Interior, plus the one glove that Mchael Jackson copped, and doing it all on one leg!

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7NCrI7YQ158&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:47 am

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:Van Morrison is not a "rock" singer.

You obviously never listened to <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Them_(band)">Them</a>. Van is as responsible as Mick Jagger for creating the snotty garage rock sneer. "Gloria" and "I Can Only Give You Everything" pretty much define sixties punk.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:50 am

Lep wrote:doing it all on one leg!

Didn't he only have one lung too? Or was that Link Wray? Tuberculosis.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:04 pm

Jake wrote:You obviously never listened to <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Them_(band)">Them</a>. Van is as responsible as Mick Jagger for creating the snotty garage rock sneer. "Gloria" and "I Can Only Give You Everything" pretty much define sixties punk.

Yes I have.

When I listen to him I don't hear Rock n Roll. Yeah, I hear the blues, folk, rock and jazz influences and all his crusty crazy stream of consciousness. But it doesn't sound like "Rock" with a capitol "R" to me. Some of his work is brilliant, especially his first couple of albums. And even if he thinks "Brown Eyed Girl" was useless bubblegum pop, I'll still swear it's a great song. Morrison is brilliant, and oh sure he can belt one out. But the guy is such an eccentric and his style roams all over the place to such an extent that I can't endorse the idea that he is a "Rock" singer. He's way MORE than a rock singer. Too much more.

Van Morrison is his own category, and in no way could he be called "a quintessential rock singer."

Return to “Rants and Raves”