Who Is Quintessential Rock Singer?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:11 pm

I think Michael Stipe has the best voice of any male rock singer of the modern era. Sam Cooke is the best singer of the 50's/ 60's era--maybe he's not rock though. .

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:17 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote: I can't seriously put David Lee Roth in the same league as Mick Jagger, if only for crap like that.

I would almost say you have to disqualify Mick, if only because he is not only the obvious and unarguable choice, but is really the prototype to whom everyone else is judged and by whom everyone else is inspired on some level.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Funny, no one mentioned David Johansen.

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:
Everyone forgets that the guy would take the stage ribbon dancing.

While I would never question his rock cred (VH is an iconic band), I can't seriously put David Lee Roth in the same league as Mick Jagger, if only for crap like that.

But, it's not a question of taste. It's a question of iconic rock voice.

I hate Zeppelin, always have. i wouldn't argue against Plant.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:57 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:Everyone forgets that the guy would take the stage ribbon dancing.

While I would never question his rock cred (VH is an iconic band), I can't seriously put David Lee Roth in the same league as Mick Jagger, if only for crap like that.

Jagger did his share of gay shit too, particularly in the 70's. If it's stage ribbons that get stuck in your head, it was satin capes that Jagger would wipe his ass on that is hard to watch for me.

Fuck the haters, Rod Stewart had one of rocks premier voices, that's what makes his downfall so hard to fathom.
Paul Rodgers of Bad Company is woefully underappreciated.
Ian Gillan of Deep Purple in his prime could lay it down.

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:04 pm

I've never really been a fan, but it seems like this might be a category for Bruce. Although if we go by the anti-Lennon criteria, he might be wearing to many hats in his band other than "singer" to qualify.

Same thing with Joe Strummer.

Thing is though, I don't think of the "iconic" rock voice as having "pretty" as a qualification, which thus sours me on Plant and Orbison. Because if pretty voices are a concern, then Freddy Mercury is going to win that game and goddamit, I don't want to live in that world.

And, being primarily involved in R&B/Soul might knock him down a peg, but how can anyone dispute the awesomeness of James Brown?

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:09 pm

worpswede wrote:Jagger did his share of gay shit too, particularly in the 70's. If it's stage ribbons that get stuck in your head, it was satin capes that Jagger would wipe his ass on that is hard to watch for me.

Dude, how can you watch/listen to this and call it "gay shit." Mick is fucking brilliant, man! The whole band was brilliant. That schtick at 6:00 is rock n roll gold!

Besides crafting a first person narrative in the voice of Lucifer, the satin hats and robes was scary shit. Imagine all those square, god fearing parents who raised their children at the height of the cold war, only to have their kid bring home Sympathy For The Devil!

Was this:

..any more "gay" than this:

amighty wrote:
I would almost say you have to disqualify Mick, if only because he is not only the obvious and unarguable choice, but is really the prototype to whom everyone else is judged and by whom everyone else is inspired on some level.

Doesn't that in fact make him the quintessential rock singer?

stickman45 wrote:
But, it's not a question of taste. It's a question of iconic rock voice.

I hate Zeppelin, always have. i wouldn't argue against Plant.

I don't believe Roth has one of the greatest voices in rock. Yeah, in his day he could he could hit the notes, but guys like Robert Plant, or even Steven Tyler or Axle Rose do a better job, IMO.
Last edited by Sugarcubes Forever on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:11 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:Doesn't that in fact make him the quintessential rock singer?

Yes - so much so, that if you don't disqualify him there's nothing left to talk about. For me, it's a search for number 2.

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:14 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:
I don't believe Roth has one of the greatest voices in rock. Yeah, in his day he could he could hit the notes, but guys like Robert Plant, or even Steven Tyler or Axle Rose do a better job, IMO.

Kinda what I'm saying. i don't think Roth has an objectively "great' voice. it's erratic and somewhat shambolic. Much like rock'n'roll.

I think Rose is a quintessential rock voice that has been heretofore unmentioned.

you knw what's NOT rock'n'roll? Unnecessarily using "heretofore".

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Lep wrote:The category is too broad and not broad enough, really. How can you compare Roy Orbison (a great voice) to Dylan (among the best snears)? And is Sam Cooke, probably my vote for best singer of popular music, a rock and roll singer?

Screamin' Jay is a good vote, but I'm still thinking.

For the distaff side, I'd go with Wanda Jackson over Patti Smith. I'd definitely put Janice in Soul/RnB and say that her rockish elements were her weakest; Betty Davis is funkier and more rock and roll. I think that woman in the Detroit Cobras is a great singer, but I guess they're kinda retro.

Cool, I almost said Sam Cooke too.

Aside: What's the best Detroit Cobras record? I've loved the few things I've heard by them.

Return to “Rants and Raves”