Who Is Quintessential Rock Singer?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:46 pm

Postby stickman45 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:51 pm

Edie Motherfucking Brickell.

End of discussion.

GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:52 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:Dude, how can you watch/listen to this and call it "gay shit." Mick is fucking brilliant, man!

How about this then?

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:54 pm

Barabajagal wrote:DIO

I should beat you for posting that.

I implore the mods to save this thread and remove this post to the Dungeons and Dragons of rock board.

Postby stickman45 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:55 pm

I love that video.

no one knew what to do in videos. It's like "Shit, man, what do we do?"

"I got it! We dress up like Buster Brown in the navy and turn on the bubble machine!"

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:56 pm

Jake wrote:
How about this then?

no comment.

GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:23 pm

Jake wrote:
How about this then?

I'd say it proves Keith is the quintessential rock guitar player

GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:21 pm

Barabajagal wrote:Aside: What's the best Detroit Cobras record? I've loved the few things I've heard by them.

I love both Mink Rat or Rabbit and Love, Life and Leaving. Both have a great sound, and are loads of fun.

GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:51 pm

I am kind of surprised that no one has said Paul McCartney, who is a WAY better singer than John Lennon or Mick Jagger: Helter Skelter, Michelle, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, Hey Jude - the ease with which McCartney switches styles and his range are simply amazing.

Watch out for Neko Case, though. She's gonna trump all these dudes.

Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:07 pm

i agree with a lot of what's been said here. the choice that comes to mind for me off the top of my head isn't exactly the quintessential rock singer, but i think is one that is really good and essential. i submit natalie merchant. i know she will get ripped in this thread, but my reasoning for thinking of her is due to having listened to love among the ruins yesterday. it actually got me thinking about a somewhat similar subject which i debated posting. love among the ruins is a fine album, but really holds no candle to the maniacs' earlier works and it has nothing to do with the band but rather the singer.

the rest of the members are unchanged and the sound is just as good, but mary rasemy just doesn't deliver well enough to bring it home. therefore the songs don't quite work like they should. point? the 10,000 maniacs were nothing to write home about without natalie merchant. much like the argument about which is the better van halen band. natalie merchant wasn't the soul of the band, but she was a very key ingredient. her vocals went so well with the maniacs' music. they both needed each other. as natalie merchant's solo work, while better than the non-natalie maniacs' work, fall flat in comparison to her days with the band.

her voice really just carried well with the band. and she had this very weird stage presence that was almost hypnotic and hard to resist. she was a very unique character on stage and something that hasn't been seen before or since. is she a quintessential rock singer? not in the strictest sense. but it's obvious how much of a presence and affect she had on the band. and the affect they had on her. neither were really great away from each other. in essence the band and the singer died when she left the group. as neither was never going to be as good as they were when together. for me that makes her at the very least essential. and maybe even quintessential. a case could certainly be made if one wanted to.

Return to “Rants and Raves”