Who Is Quintessential Rock Singer?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:26 am

Jake wrote:How about this then?
Exactly. I have this theory that Mick was so jealous of Bowie and Bolan by the mid-70's that he began gaying up his act to stay in the papers. Even Keith questions Mick's motives around this time, but he was too smacked up to give a shit.
But hey, you're not going to get any argument from me on the merits of Jagger. But don't sit there and righteously point out that Roth's ribbon dancing disqualifies him from this thread topic.
And don't put quotations around gay either. There's no dispute that ribbon dancing, buster brown wearing, and making fun of short, seventy year old men are non-deniably gay activities.
You don't hear me continually bashing on and on about what Einar Örn Benediktsson was doing in music, so lay off my man RJD.
G5A wrote:i submit natalie merchant

Are you fucking with people? DJ Murph had better get his ass here right now for some calming words before blood is shed.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:01 am

grounded5am wrote:i agree with a lot of what's been said here. the choice that comes to mind for me off the top of my head isn't exactly the quintessential rock singer, but i think is one that is really good and essential. i submit natalie merchant.

Hundreds of sarcastic comments are frenetically tripping over each other in my head and can't get out. Your post gave me brain freeze.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:01 am

stickman45 wrote:I think Daltrey is a good choice. I don' think this is "favorite" singer, it's "Quintessential" rock singer.

First one that came to mind for me.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:29 am

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BPIQKHgbw7w&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Jesus, people - listen to that drunken sneering! The posing! The probable drunkeness! You just don't get more quintessential than the late Mr. Scott.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:33 am

grounded5am wrote:love among the ruins is a fine album, but really holds no candle to the maniacs' earlier works and it has nothing to do with the band but rather the singer.

Admittedly, I don't listen to a lot of "Maniacs", but this is not candidate that really comes to mind. At all.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:37 am

grounded5am wrote:i agree with a lot of what's been said here. the choice that comes to mind for me off the top of my head isn't exactly the quintessential rock singer, but i think is one that is really good and essential. i submit natalie merchant. i know she will get ripped in this thread, but my reasoning for thinking of her is due to having listened to love among the ruins yesterday. it actually got me thinking about a somewhat similar subject which i debated posting. love among the ruins is a fine album, but really holds no candle to the maniacs' earlier works and it has nothing to do with the band but rather the singer.

the rest of the members are unchanged and the sound is just as good, but mary rasemy just doesn't deliver well enough to bring it home. therefore the songs don't quite work like they should. point? the 10,000 maniacs were nothing to write home about without natalie merchant. much like the argument about which is the better van halen band. natalie merchant wasn't the soul of the band, but she was a very key ingredient. her vocals went so well with the maniacs' music. they both needed each other. as natalie merchant's solo work, while better than the non-natalie maniacs' work, fall flat in comparison to her days with the band.

her voice really just carried well with the band. and she had this very weird stage presence that was almost hypnotic and hard to resist. she was a very unique character on stage and something that hasn't been seen before or since. is she a quintessential rock singer? not in the strictest sense. but it's obvious how much of a presence and affect she had on the band. and the affect they had on her. neither were really great away from each other. in essence the band and the singer died when she left the group. as neither was never going to be as good as they were when together. for me that makes her at the very least essential. and maybe even quintessential. a case could certainly be made if one wanted to.

WTF? Are you for real?

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Re: Who Is Quintessential Rock Singer?

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:11 am

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:Who is the quintessential rock singer?

Imagine if we looked up "rock singer" in a dictionary. The quintessential criteria would have to include:

1. Must be male. Sorry, this is chauvinistic, but it's still true.

2. Must have pipes and range. Growl the low bits, hit the high notes, have power and control.

3. Must be a lothario, and convey the image of sex and danger while managing the delicate balance of appealing to both men & women.

4. Must be instantly recognizable anywhere in the western world. Must be unique and original.

5. Bonus points for comical facial hair and/or chest hair.

6. Must be able to convey the emotion of the song. Joy, horniness, misery, fear, excitement.

7. Must look good in "rock star outfits", such as white pants and/or catsuits.

8. Must connect with the audience. Must be able to get 15,000 people to all stand up and play call and response games at the drop of a hat.

9. Must be an integral part of the songwriting process. Some singers do an admirable job of interpreting other people's songs, but I think a "rock singer" has to write some of his own material.

10. Bonus points for dying young after living the rock 'n' roll lifestyle.

The clear winner, ladies and gentlemen, is the incomparable Freddie Mercury.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:24 am

Or this one.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:23 pm

or Hitler

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:31 pm

jonas wrote:
Hundreds of sarcastic comments are frenetically tripping over each other in my head and can't get out. Your post gave me brain freeze.

i think people are missing the point, but i knew that i was going to get attacked. i can't say that natalie merchant is THE quintessential rock singer. that may be going too far, but i do think she fits the criteria to belong on a list of quintessential rock singers. is she the ONE? no, probably not. the reason i thought of her was two-fold:

1) all the talk about david lee roth got me thinking natalie and the band and how their situation is very similar to van halen

2) i had just heard love among the ruins the day and was just thinking about a somewhat similar subject.

so when i read this thread it got me thinking more about that topic and her. i'm not claiming for her to be the quintessential rock singer. nor would i claim edie. choices for quintessential rock singers can tend to be subjective as many may pick singer they really and that they think fit the bill, while others may completely disagree. i don't know if sven was sven or if he meant michael stipe. either way, i could michael stipe fitting the bill, but i know many others may not.

another one that came to mind was robert smith, but i know many would not agree. in the end a list would probably hard to firm up, as it may be hard to agree on a particular set of quintessential rock singers. another thing to ponder is who would be included in terms of what one thinks of rock n' roll. for example, would james brown be included?

Return to “Rants and Raves”