That Sound I Hate

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

That Sound I Hate

Postby quasarwutwut » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:57 am

You know what sound I hate? When you accent all the root notes in a rock song with a glockenspiel. Think "Born to Run"-era Springsteen. You know what I'm talking about: that annoying tingy bell sound that makes it sound like a fucking one-armed elf is standing next to Max Weinberg and smiling way too much, hitting one mic-piercing note at a time. Who thought of that? I hate that sound.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Arcade Fire must drive you nuts.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:53 pm

I'm trying to think of examples of glockenspiel or orchestra bells that I like. I know there are songs with them that I love, but I can't think of any right now...

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:01 pm

Like a hot, hot poker inserted into my hot, hot ass.

Also not a huge fan of really tight slap-back delay. I'm trying to think of a good example and I'm coming up blank. Uhm... uh..... uhm.... I can't think of one. But I know I generally don't like it.

Also, soprano saxophones.

Also, fretless basses.

Also, when Sabbath's "Paranoid" speeds up at the very end.

And really thin pianos that go the whole time in a rock'n'roll song when they don't need to be there at all. For some reason the first thing that comes to mind is "Once Bitten Twice Shy" by Great White. It's a terrible song by a terrible band and I can't believe it's in my head, but that's the sound. I saw "Watchmen" last night and I think it might have done something to my brain.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:10 pm

quasarwutwut wrote:And really thin pianos that go the whole time in a rock'n'roll song when they don't need to be there at all.

The Raconteurs must drive you nuts.

Josh B.
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Josh B. » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Jake wrote:I'm trying to think of examples of glockenspiel or orchestra bells that I like. I know there are songs with them that I love, but I can't think of any right now...

Wilco's "Can't Stand It" comes to mind. Love the bells on that mother.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:48 pm

Wait, wait, wait. Doesn't the QWW employ a glockenspiel or some damned thing from time to time? Is this a case of self loathing?

BTW, I hate the E Street Band. They include too many of the sins mentioned above to not be banned from GLONO World. They make me not listen to Springsteen.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:01 pm

D. Phillips wrote:Wait, wait, wait. Doesn't the QWW employ a glockenspiel or some damned thing from time to time? Is this a case of self loathing?

BTW, I hate the E Street Band. They include too many of the sins mentioned above to not be banned from GLONO World. They make me not listen to Springsteen.

No, no.. and yes. Make no mistake, I DO hate my own band, but for many, many, many other reasons than glockenspiel. I should clarify: my beef with the glockenspiel is not the sound of the glockenspiel, but that specific E Street usage where you just highlight every chord with a single glock hit on "rockin" tunes. There are very few instruments that I think just outright suck and have no use. The soprano sax might be one of them. But I like carillons, vibraphones, pcp, glocks, xylophones, and most things that make the world tinkle.

And I heartily agree: the E Street Band makes me not want to listen to Springsteen. But isn't he the level of control freak where he would be dictating what the E Street Band is doing? I can't help but think that no matter who was behind him those 80s records would sound virtually the same.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:39 pm

Thank you for the clarification and I agree: it's the USE of glockenspiel that is so frustrating. Why would you pussify a power chord? WHY!?!?!

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:06 pm

Oceanographer and A Weather both use the glockenspiel to good effect, but they are not accenting anything, rather they use the glock as a counterpoint to the actual melody. Neither one are using bar chords.

I typically dislike vibrato on the voice, trumpets in rock and roll (to this there are a few marvelous exceptions - Penny Lane, Close To Me), ear piercing falsetto shrieks from heavy metal rockers, soulless vapid lyrics, and pinch harmonics.

Here we are, whining again. Sheesh. But, it did feel good.

Return to “Rants and Raves”