The end of physical media...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

When will you ditch your CDs?

Poll ended at Sat May 09, 2009 6:54 am

Already gone.
6%
Eventually, but I can't quite let them go yet.
39%
After I re-rip them to a lossless format.
6%
You'll have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands.
50%

Total votes: 18

Jake
GLONO Team Member

The end of physical media...

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:54 am

So about four months ago, we painted my office, and I boxed up my cds so we could pull the giant CD tower away from the wall to paint. Being totally anal, of course, I separate the CDs I've ripped from the ones I have not. After we were done painting, I never re-shelved the ones I'd already ripped. And not once, never in the four months since we painted have I had any inclination to pull out anything from that box...to consult liner notes...to look at the booklet...nothing.

So the question is: why am I keeping them?

Hi-fi

Postby Hi-fi » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:57 am

I actually ripped all my CDs and tried to sell every last one, unless it was a rarity or something. The only reason I still have a bunch is because they don't like to buy ones with scratches.

Wanted to get money for them while they are still worth something, as they are depreciating very quickly, like VHS tapes or something. Actually, selling my CDs was exactly like selling my old VHS tapes before they were next to worthless.

I've also had the dilemma of wanting to have the artwork and all - and artwork is important - but I can remember what the cover of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot looks like, and it's always staring me in the face when I look the album up on the internet.

The only bummer is wondering the details of who is on the record, etc. Though you must be able to find that somewhere online, right?

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:00 am

Yeah, I got it my head once that I would get a hard drive, rip all my CD's, and make a killing selling them used on Amazon. I get up to ripping the F's in my collection and the hard drive falls on the floor. All it does now is make a noise like a gerbil with bronchitis, and needless to say I can't access any of the data. So yeah, I'm keeping my CD's for now.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:05 am

Based on a prior thread on here (which I am too lazy to look up the link), I went and bought two big CD books a couple months ago and have almost finished putting away all my discs. I don't think I'm going to get rid of them though until they do away with CD drives altogether. Digital media changes forms so fast that I'm worried about getting rid of the sources. I don't know, I'm sure all the ripped stuff will effortlessly transfer to whatever the next thing is, but... just in case it doesn't. I don't want to re-rip my entire library, but I also don't want to re-purchase (or acquire) my entire library. So for now: keep (for backup purposes only).

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:25 am

quasarwutwut wrote:Based on a prior thread on here (which I am too lazy to look up the link), I went and bought two big CD books a couple months ago and have almost finished putting away all my discs.

What did you end up buying? And how are you liking it?

I know Chris G has an awesome system, but I've looked into it and it's more than I want to spend on a medium I'm this close to donating to Goodwill ("fair market value" of $5 each would yield bigass tax deduction for those who itemize).

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:24 pm

Jake wrote:What did you end up buying? And how are you liking it?

I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 CDs, so I purchased 2 of these Case Logic guys off of Amazon. They seem to go up and down in price on there all the time, but I got them both for like $70 or something. They're good enough for my purposes, which is strictly storage vs. taking them out a lot. They have removable pages which was the one main thing I wanted, and other than that seem to do the job.

Never thought about writing off the CDs though, that's a good one. I work in TV though, so I write off the TV I purchased last year, cable, internet, phone, magazines, netflix, underwear, games, movies, and starbucks. You know, for research.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:25 pm

quasarwutwut wrote:I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 CDs, so I purchased 2 of these Case Logic guys off of Amazon.

Do you stuff the jewel case booklet and backing in there, or just toss them out?

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:02 pm

I got disgusted and threw all my CD's in the swamp with no digital backup. Music is a waste of time.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:48 pm

quasarwutwut wrote:So for now: keep (for backup purposes only).

This is my thinking as well. Perhaps, I also have a psychological need to hang on to a physical object (if it means something to me) - like the books collecting dust on my shelves that I've already read and will never open again.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:52 pm

This topic comes up (for me) every time I move. The answer, obiviously, is to buy a bigass house and stop moving. Then I can accumulate as much shit as I want and stop worrying about it.

Return to “Rants and Raves”