The end of physical media...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

When will you ditch your CDs?

Poll ended at Sat May 09, 2009 6:54 am

Already gone.
6%
Eventually, but I can't quite let them go yet.
39%
After I re-rip them to a lossless format.
6%
You'll have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands.
50%

Total votes: 18

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:18 pm

Warning: Audiophile Snobbery

A ripped MP3 will never sound as good as a CD. MP3s, if you use iTunes, are generally imported at 128Kbps and a CD is encoded at 44,100Kbps. I rip mine at 160Kbps - which to me sounds a lot better than 128Kbps but keeps the file size minimal.

At home, I have a Sony 5.1 Surround Sound system with an iPod dock. I put a CD in and rich, clear sound emanates and pleases me intensely. I plug in the iPod and it sounds pretty good, but the richness and clarity of the CDs is lacking. Even my wife, who is not an audiophile snob, noticed a difference.

So, unless you rip your CDs into MP3s at a pretty good clip (we debate this constantly around my office - 160Kbps, 320Kbps, full bore WAV files!), they will never sound as good as a CD.

Go ahead and get rid of your CDs. I'll see you in Plato's cave.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:43 pm

Good point. I rip my CDs using EAC/LAME with the -V0 setting. I think my mp3s sound good.

It's important to configure EAC properly.

I think my really old mp3s that I encoded at 160kbps sound noticeably bad.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:39 pm

quasarwutwut wrote:I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 CDs, so I purchased 2 of these Case Logic guys off of Amazon. They seem to go up and down in price on there all the time, but I got them both for like $70 or something. They're good enough for my purposes, which is strictly storage vs. taking them out a lot. They have removable pages which was the one main thing I wanted, and other than that seem to do the job.

I got something similar EXCEPT they don't have removable pages; I wish I'd thought to look for that, because they eventually fell out of any kind of sensible order.

As for liner notes, at first I put them in the holder next to the CD, but when I ran out of space I started putting them behind the CD itself, which seems to work okay.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:57 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:I got disgusted and threw all my CD's in the swamp with no digital backup. Music is a waste of time.

I hate music
Sometimes I don't
I hate music
It's got too many notes

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:02 pm

Jake wrote:Good point. I rip my CDs using EAC/LAME with the -V0 setting. I think my mp3s sound good.

It's important to configure EAC properly.

I think my really old mp3s that I encoded at 160kbps sound noticeably bad.

If I had the money, I woulda bought a TB drive and just ripped everything lossless. But big fat hard drives will eventually be so cheap that even your cell phone will be able to hold your entire collection in AIFF format.

Then the record companies will be able to resell you hi-quality audio files to replace all those crappy, lo-fi MP3's you ripped back in the 90's.

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:11 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:Then the record companies will be able to resell you hi-quality audio files to replace all those crappy, lo-fi MP3's you ripped back in the 90's.

I can see them drooling. . . .

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:45 am

Right now all of my CDs are in storage, stacked in boxes right beside all my boxed up vinyl... and my one small box of cassettes.

I view them only as backup storage.

Of course, I recently bought a Terabyte external RAID drive to run a double redundant backup of my desktop machine, where I keep my music files. Eventually I may part with them...

...but I'm hyper organized. As we've discussed here before, I have my CDs meticulously cataloged in DiscSox sleeves (better than DiscLogic because they also hold the back tray-card). They take up very little space, so I don't see any reason to junk them anytime soon. I have tons of other stuff in that storage unit that take up much more space, with better reason to part with that a few boxes full of CDs.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:34 am

my regular cd player won't accept some cd's anymore, probably since there's too much dust in there. and the only reason my cd's are still in my living room is the storage is attached to the wall and i don't have an electric drill to take it off.
i read the CD turned 30 years old this very week.. and here we're talking about ditching them, it's really a shame..

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:06 am

I've got my vinyl on shelves to my left and my CDs on three bookshelves to my left. I haven't counted up my vinyl and CDs in a long time, but it's probably somewhere in the neighborhood 0f 25,000. I don't see myself gettin' rid of them. I just like the physical "thingness" of it all, but I'll probably reconsider if I ever have to move.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:59 am

jaimoe0 wrote:I've got my vinyl on shelves to my left and my CDs on three bookshelves to my left. I haven't counted up my vinyl and CDs in a long time, but it's probably somewhere in the neighborhood 0f 25,000. I don't see myself gettin' rid of them. I just like the physical "thingness" of it all, but I'll probably reconsider if I ever have to move.

For some reason you reminded me of this. Presumably it's not that bad...yet.

Return to “Rants and Raves”