High-Falutin' High Fidelity

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

High-Falutin' High Fidelity

Postby quasarwutwut » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:29 am

It used to be a dream of mine to have an audio system like in those old Memorex print ads where the guy sits in his arm chair and has his hair blown back from the awesomeness of his speakers. At this point in my life I've come to realize that I've probably missed that boat, but I'm curious if any of you fine audiophiles have "the system of your dreams", or something very impressive at the very least. Like, for example, if you have wired your entire house and roof with speakers. Or if you have an obscenely expensive record player. Or if you have a 4TB server hidden behind an oaken panel that has all your music and champagne stored inside it.

These days I'm either listening to music in my car or off a Bose Sounddock system at home. Both of which sound fine, but nothing to shout about.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:14 pm

I pried an old Marantz from Jake's hands just before leaving Chicago and it sounds mighty sweet. Need to rework my whole set-up in the new house though.

I'm hoping Joshua will chime in with a description of the system his dad built in his house. Crazy wall panels and wiring. I hear there was a Flaming Lips party that got weird but I'll let him describe it.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:58 pm

i don't have any kind of fancy type high fidelity system, but it's definitely a step up. i used to play music in my discman or on my computer. now i have a 7 speaker/channel surround sound system in my house. it's not set up real fancy or anything and it is all in one type of deal that came with a receiver as well, but it sounds really good. i've had to turn down the volume the bass was loud. in some cases i had to turn it completely off as it was giving me a headache. i've played a lot of my old music along with new stuff as well. even the old stuff can be too much to handle. one album though i can't really play is accelerate. i love it and it is a fantastic record, but it does suffer from the loudness war pretty bad. this was the intent on the band's part, but my ears don't care when they feel like bleeding.

i have been looking at a nice audio surround system for many years now. i just never had the money and when i did i didn't feel like spending all that much on the system. i was looking at in wall speakers to go in all around the house, but again the cost just wasn't worth it. once i got into blu-ray though i decided to take plunge. i asked for a good surround system for christmas. what i got wasn't my dream package, but i am nonetheless quite pleased with what i did get. so many albums really sound so much better now and i am really getting into music more. i'd like to get a lot more albums that done in surround sound such as the bjork and talking head re-releases. i'd also like to hear the flaming lips' zaireeka. eventually i may end up doing some upgrades to the system like getting a turntable and such, but for now i am happy.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:02 pm

D. Phillips wrote:I pried an old Marantz from Jake's hands just before leaving Chicago and it sounds mighty sweet. Need to rework my whole set-up in the new house though.

I'm hoping Joshua will chime in with a description of the system his dad built in his house. Crazy wall panels and wiring. I hear there was a Flaming Lips party that got weird but I'll let him describe it.

I can confirm Josh's pop had big, high-end JBL studio monitors as his main speakers, and they sounded frickin' sweet.

The hardware he had is beyond my ken, but I know it included mixing boards.

I would like to hear about this Flaming Lips business. JR, where you at?

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:14 pm

Also, for awhile I had a nice little setup myself:

• Harmon/Kardon digital receiver
• JBL speaker system (matched components, not one of those sets of cheap speakers for the first-time home theater owners)
• Sony 300 disc cd changer
• Mac G4 tower (500 GB drive, ATI video card w/HDMI out, M-Audio 5.1 sound card w/analog + optical out)
• Toshiba DVD/SACD player

This was all hooked via HDMI up to my 30" HD TV, and I had a wireless mini keyboard w/a built-in trackball for the Mac so I could sit on my couch and listen/watch iTunes. Also I could surf the web while iTunes played.

Ah, the salad days...it's all gone now.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:17 pm

While I wait for what is quickly becoming a legendary story concerning The Flaming Lips, I ask this question:

I am a moron, so I am confused by the concept of wireless speakers. I thought speakers needed some sort of power to drive them? I can't imagine people are willing to routinely replace batteries in these things so... are they really wireless? (I realize I could research this on the Internets, but you guys are better looking than the Internets, so I prefer to get it from you.)

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:00 pm

I would first like to point out that highfalutin is one word, no hyphen or apostrophe. It's a damn fine word, and we should treat it with the respect it deserves, not like some crazy Yosemite Sam utterance.

Back on topic, my system is a hodgepodge and a mess. In my office, I've got a turntable hooked up to my computer with some surprisingly nice sounding Klipsch computer speakers. The subwoofer is so powerful on that mofo, I can never turn the bass up much past "1".

In the living room, we've got the 5-disc Sony CD player (that Jolie gave me for Christmas when we were in college!) hooked up to a fairly newish Yamaha 5.1 receiver with 4 Klipsch surround speakers, one Klipsch center thing, and an old unpowered Polk Audio subwoofer. I don't even have my TV running through those speakers though, because I never figured out how to make it all work with my dual-input Tivo...

Hopefully, in our next place, I'll get this all figured out. And a new TV.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:31 pm

Jake wrote:I would first like to point out that highfalutin is one word, no hyphen or apostrophe. It's a damn fine word, and we should treat it with the respect it deserves, not like some crazy Yosemite Sam utterance.

I don't even have my TV running through those speakers though, because I never figured out how to make it all work with my dual-input Tivo...

First, I had to look up "highfalutin" because I wasn't sure how many "L"s it had (I was using 3, which turns out to be wrong), and various sources said it could be Either hyphenated or not. So suck it.

Second, doesn't your TiVo have an audio out jack? Wouldn't you just run that into your "aux" or whatever inputs on your stereo?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:42 pm

I am more interested in Hi Karate.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:09 pm

It's not Memorex. It's Maxell. And the model for the original campaign was Peter Murphy of Bauhaus. They recreated the ad several times over the 80s, including making it into a TV spot.

Memorex was the win glass shattering.

-----

More on topic, I have an alright stereo. Nothing too fancy.

(FYI - We've had this thread before, actually.)

Return to “Rants and Raves”